e. prep.

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

e. prep.

Postby diamondbackAPL » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:06 pm

have any of you taken this at camp would it be hard for 13 yearod
<Sig removed by Admin... Youth members may not use their names here.>
diamondbackAPL
Eagle

Postby Mrw » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:30 pm

Most of the boys in our troop take this their second or third year at summer camp, so at 12 or 13. There are never any partials and I have never heard complaints about it being too hard.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby RedFox » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:00 am

In my opinion, summer camp is one of the best places to take it. Camps have a lot of the ecological material and open space needed to complete all the requirements for the merit badge.

Only disadvantage is, you might have to write that report with pencil and paper. And it is a lot of work, i don't recommend taking it with more than 1 or 2 other badges.
Sean
Assistant Scoutmaster - Troop 251
Wood Badge SR-420 - Fox
RedFox
Second Class

Postby hacimsaalk » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:08 pm

i took it last yr. at summer camp. i was 14, but it didnt seem to hard. there was a 13yr old from my troop that took it also. he didnt have any background in it, and he was fine. summer camp is a great place to take it.

And it is a lot of work, i don't recommend taking it with more than 1 or 2 other badges.

i took 8 other meritbadges besides this one. we did meritbadges at camp for 5 days (M-F) it only took me 3 days to do it.
Micah

PA

JASM and Assistant Patrol Leader
Life Scout
High Adventure Patrol Leader

Dept. 24
EMT
Jr. Firefighter
hacimsaalk
Eagle

Postby Mad Dog » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:24 pm

I think he is refering to Emergecy Preparedness not Environmental Science.
Mad Dog

ASM - MBC
Mad Dog
Life

Postby hacimsaalk » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:31 pm

Mad Dog wrote:I think he is refering to Emergecy Preparedness not Environmental Science.

i assume u r talking to red fox
Micah

PA

JASM and Assistant Patrol Leader
Life Scout
High Adventure Patrol Leader

Dept. 24
EMT
Jr. Firefighter
hacimsaalk
Eagle

Postby diamondbackAPL » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:16 pm

its emergency prep. and thanx
<Sig removed by Admin... Youth members may not use their names here.>
diamondbackAPL
Eagle

Postby RedFox » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:55 pm

are you suggesting that I misread the topic? :)

That will teach me to reply to two threads involving merit badges that both start with E. Sorry! :)

*goes to look at all the good stuff about Emergency Prep he wrote on the E. Science thread* :P
Sean
Assistant Scoutmaster - Troop 251
Wood Badge SR-420 - Fox
RedFox
Second Class

Postby Lynda J » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:14 pm

Kevin took it this past summer. He is 12 and had a ball with it. Luckily the instructor was really good.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby danisheagle » Sun May 21, 2006 4:09 pm

How do you prepare a family kit at camp. Req. 8c?

What do you do for an emergency service project usually at camp? Req. #7 :?:
danisheagle
Scout

Postby 616kayak » Sun May 21, 2006 7:43 pm

req. 7. Take part in an emergency service project, either a real one or a practice drill, with a Scouting unit or a community agency.

Do a practice drill.
"Training is my business and business is always good"

Life scout / JASM
616kayak
Eagle

Postby MisterChris » Sun May 21, 2006 11:17 pm

danisheagle wrote:How do you prepare a family kit at camp. Req. 8c?

What do you do for an emergency service project usually at camp? Req. #7 :?:

Family Kit is normally done before or after Summer Camp. I remember teaching this to our troop while we were AT summer camp one year. The only requirement lacking after camp was the emergency kit.

Don't remember what we did for #7, req may have been different back then.

I'll never forget one of the bigger scouts hauling one of the younger ones up a tree and tying him there using the bowline on a bight they taught us as a rescue knot.

That little 4'5" kid was up there for several minutes before we got the big scout to let him down. Now that 'little kid' is 6'5" and I daresay could haul his tormenter up a tree.
Eagle Scout since 1978

Third of 3 Eagle Scout sons of OJ 'Jump' Solaas, promoted to heaven 05/1988

http://www.troopole97.com
MisterChris
Star

Postby Scouting179 » Mon May 22, 2006 7:50 am

I've seen several kids take this and ESci their first year with no problems.
Eagle Scout, 22 Jan 1974
ISCA 5537L, Wood Badge SR 571
Chowanoc District Advancement Chairman
Tidewater Council, VA
http://members.cox.net/scouting179
Scouting179
Bronze Palm

e. prep.

Postby jhawk » Mon May 22, 2006 10:10 am

I'm not sure most merit badges can be classified as hard or easy. It is relative to each scout. How difficult something is depends on interest and prior knowledge a lot of the time. Obviously, very short badges tend to be viewed as easy, but even a seemingly simple badge like basketry can be difficult for a boy with hand-eye coordination problems and/or learning disabilities like constructional dyspraxia that can make you see things in reverse or as a mirror image.... The same boy may breeze through a long involved badge that has a high level of interest for him that might not even be attempted by many other scouts.
When my son first crossed over to Boy Scouts, we sat down and looked at the merit badges and made lists of easy, medium, and hard badges that were both Eagle required and elective. He made a plan for what he really wanted to earn for sure, which ones he might do, and which ones he had no interest in. After he had gotten the ones he wanted, we made a new list like the first because his skill level and interests had changed as he grew and matured. Ones on his original list that he was NOT interested in have become some of his favorites over time. A boy can change a lot in the 7 years he can spend in scouting. Pick the badges you want to earn and re-evaluate your list as you grow. Get a requirement book so you have a reference guide as to what the requirements are or read through the pages on this site to see which ones seem interesting to you as an individual. If you want to learn about that topic and can complete the requirements, earn that badge! Don't worry about hard or easy, just whether you have an interest and ability. If it doesn't sound doable right now, just revisit the requirements in a year or so. You may be surprised to find that some you eliminated earlier suddenly sound quite possible. Enjoy the merit badge experience!
jhawk
Star

Postby FrankJ » Mon May 22, 2006 1:25 pm

How do you prepare a family kit at camp. Req. 8c?

This is a good example of why you need the merit badge book. Read page 78. Three days of food & water per family member would be hard to carry to scout camp. It can be assembled at home & documented. Pictures & an inventory would work.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby deweylure » Mon May 22, 2006 7:08 pm

Have the scout make the kit at home then take a few pictures of it. As I remember the family kit would include water ,food etc. Most counselors are open minded and would accept this documentation. If not they would get a partial and just finish at home.

Deweylure
deweylure
Eagle

Postby MaScout » Wed May 24, 2006 11:32 pm

Our troop works on E Prep locally on a regular basis. We run practice drills and practice search & rescues. The parents know when they will be called, but the Scouts have no forewarning. We have our own stoke stretcher & our boys respond like pros. I live about 5 miles away from where we usually meet & am usually the last one there. The boys bring their assigned equipment & wwe go "find & rescue" some poor lost sibling in the canyons. They are usually quite "bloody" when we find them! :) We are good enough that we have been asked to be on our county's emergency response team!
Ma Post

Prepare your child for the path, not the path for the child.
MaScout
Scout

Postby Scouting179 » Fri May 26, 2006 1:47 pm

My son took Eprep in camp when he was barely 11 and he did just fine.
Eagle Scout, 22 Jan 1974
ISCA 5537L, Wood Badge SR 571
Chowanoc District Advancement Chairman
Tidewater Council, VA
http://members.cox.net/scouting179
Scouting179
Bronze Palm

Postby pipestone1991 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:02 pm

I thought e.prep was accually a very easy badge believe it or not.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby pipestone1991 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:03 pm

pipestone1991 wrote:I thought e.prep was accually a very easy badge believe it or not.

................however, I would say we had about a 50% attrition rate....why might you ask? BECAUSE NO ONE DOES THE PREREQUISITES!!!!!!!!!!!.....so if you want a 13-year old to do the badge, I say yes, but, make sure he has everything ready for camp.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Next

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required