e. prep.

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby scubascout » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:05 pm

Scouting179, with all due respect, does your son remember anything from e prep. (that is just the way things work out in our troop)
scubascout
Life

Postby Lynda J » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:14 am

Kevin did EP two summers ago at camp. Last night he brought home a school assignment to research and make a home emergency plan. He completed it in class before leaving class.
When the teacher questioned his being able to do it without taking it home he told the teacher that he has worked on this type of thing for two years through Scouts and that he didn't need to take it home a do research that we had had a plan in place for two years. She made him bring it home anyway to have me sign it. I looked it over and everything was well prepared. I signed it and he took it back this morning.

We sometimes don't realize what stays with out boys after working on a badge of this type.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby RWSmith » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:07 pm

scubascout wrote:Scouting179, with all due respect, does your son remember anything from e prep. (that is just the way things work out in our troop)

Scuba,

Dude, first off, that's not the point. Second, you'd be surprised at what people are cabable of doing without "remembering" how to do it, in an emergency... and afterwards, saying, "Wow, I don't know how I even did that... I can't beleive it came back to me after 20 years! It was like, automatic; I didn't even realizing I was doing it 'til after it was over." --That's the point.

Here's another point. Taking a MB, is not just about training and being prepared to react properly in an emergency; although, those are good reasons. Taking a MB gives a kid the opportunity to try something "new" that he wouldn't normally have. I took E-Prep when I was a kid, a couple of years later, still just a kid, I was teaching it a summer camp. A couple of years later, I was teaching First Aid and CPR. A couple of years later, I was an EMT. OIW, MBs -all of them- are just stepping stones to bigger and better things. What you build upon to totally is up to you.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby Lynda J » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:27 am

You are right. We don't always know we remember things we are taught.

When my daughter was 5 she got hit by a car in front of the house. I ran out and started shouting orders of what to do. The Fire CHief lived next door. He came out and found two women standing on the side crying. He figured one was the mother and one was the driver of the car. But he said he couldn't figure out what was going on when I got in the ambulance with her. I didn't remember anything I did. Just what everyone told me.
But it is like the chief said when he found out my First Aid background.
"Training took over. You blocked everything else out and went into auto mode."
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Previous

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required