Camping 9b ?

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Camping 9b ?

Postby TxScout » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:20 pm

In the requirements for Camping 9b states: On any of these camping experiences, you must do TWO of the following, only with proper preparation and under qualified supervision. One of the choices is Backpack at least 4 miles.

My question is what has to be in the backpack? If you are only hiking four miles do you need to take bedroll and things like that? Is it sufficient to have a backpack with first aid kit, snacks, compass etc..?

Thanks for your help.
TxScout
TxScout
Tenderfoot

Re: Camping 9b ?

Postby vpalango » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:51 pm

TxScout wrote:One of the choices is Backpack at least 4 miles.

My question is what has to be in the backpack? If you are only hiking four miles do you need to take bedroll and things like that? Is it sufficient to have a backpack with first aid kit, snacks, compass etc..?

Thanks for your help.

My interpretation has always been that this requirement means backpack, as in full-pack, carrying all your camping gear on your back. I may however be wrong on this one, and am interested in the comments.
Vernon L. Palango
Scoutmaster, Troop 131

The best progress is made in those Troops where power and responsibility are really put into the hands of the Patrol Leaders.
-Lord Baden-Powell, Aids to Scoutmastership
vpalango
Life

Postby FrankJ » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:01 pm

Good question. Ultimately it would be the merit badge counsilors interpretation that would matter. I would say whatever the scout needed for an overnight camp is implied. Maybe he could talk his patrol buddies into carry his gear as patrol equipment so his pack would be nearly empty. :lol:

Requirements 5e & 7e requires a properly packed pack.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby ICanCanoeCanU » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:06 pm

Every other year our troop does a 5 mile campout and this would cover this requirement. Friday night is spent at the start of the trip, sleeping in tents. The next morning camp is broken and boys are paired together. One boy carries the tent, the other carries the poles and fly. Each scout carries their own water (2 qts or more), and all own bedding, personal items, clothes, pack etc.
One adult carries any food items needing to be kept in a cooler type pack, such as a couple lbs of boneless chicken. The rest of the meals are broken into individual servings for each person and each person carries their own food. Foil dinners with chicken, spuds and vegys go a long way but can be carried easily.
This trip is 5 miles and on Saturday night the boys set up tents again for the night. This trip has been a favorite with the troop and this year the trip is being done twice because so many boys want to do it again.

This isn't really hard to fit into a weekend camping trip.
ICanCanoeCanU
Eagle

Postby summertop » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:03 pm

My interpretation is:

Backpack...carried for an overnighter
Daypack...carried for a day hike

So too me, going backpacking for 5 miles, means you stuf you backpack with what you will need for an overnight trip.

But, there is some "interpretation" there. So, talk to your MBC to find out exactly what he/she will require.
Shawn Winterbottom
Troop 1587
Sandy, Utah
summertop
Star

Postby CapXK » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:50 pm

It's up to the MBC. I counsel this MB and require a full backpack set-up for an overnight stay. A 5-mile hike with a daypack is a 2nd-class requirement and does little to increase the camping skills of a Scout.
The Ultimate Scoutmaster Answer, "Drink plenty of water and ask your Senior Patrol Leader."
CapXK
First Class

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:54 pm

On some tyrails 4 miles is a days hike!
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby CapXK » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:32 pm

True enough. After my wife and I hiked down and back from an intermediate plateau at the Grand Canyon (6 - 8 miles I believe) I just wanted someone to shoot me and put me out of my misery. You guys in WV certainly have prettier (and steeper) scenery than we do in North TX - but you don't get to experience the delights of camping when it's 102 in the shade. As a side note, in steep terrain I'd go with the "take a hike gaining 2000' in elevation" rather than the backpacking option.
The Ultimate Scoutmaster Answer, "Drink plenty of water and ask your Senior Patrol Leader."
CapXK
First Class

Postby summertop » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:41 am

Do the float trip...float down a river for four hours. When you are done, you want more. I just got back from the Snake river by Jackson, Wyoming. What a ride...
Shawn Winterbottom
Troop 1587
Sandy, Utah
summertop
Star

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required