Hiking Merit Badge - 10 Mile Hike Req

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Hiking Merit Badge - 10 Mile Hike Req

Postby firstdegreebb » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:20 pm

I've got a budding lawyer in my troop who has a question about the 10 mile hike requirements. We will shortly be taking a 55 mile hike over the course of 7 or 8 days backpacking. We are planning to go between 7 and 8 miles each day.

I'm both the Scoutmaster and a hiking MB counselor. He is contrasting the requirement for "20 continuous miles IN ONE DAY" with the language of "Take five hikes, each on a different day, and each of at least ten continuous miles". His question is can he count the 55 miles he'll hike to fulfill the 5 10 mile hikes. I've told him no, that it means 10 miles in a single day for each hike. But it's put enough of a question in my mind I thought I'd get some input from others to make sure I'm not adding to the requirement.
firstdegreebb
Scout

Postby WVBeaver05 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:33 pm

Sounds to me like the only way that they can be counted is if you go at least 10 miles in a day (and he prepares a hike plan). If you only go 7-8 miles in a day that doesn't seem to meet the requirement.

If you did 10 miles on some of the days, that looks to me like those hikes would count.

Just my opinion.

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Re: Hiking Merit Badge - 10 Mile Hike Req

Postby JazerNorth » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:24 pm

firstdegreebb wrote:I've got a budding lawyer in my troop who has a question about the 10 mile hike requirements. We will shortly be taking a 55 mile hike over the course of 7 or 8 days backpacking. We are planning to go between 7 and 8 miles each day.

I'm both the Scoutmaster and a hiking MB counselor. He is contrasting the requirement for "20 continuous miles IN ONE DAY" with the language of "Take five hikes, each on a different day, and each of at least ten continuous miles". His question is can he count the 55 miles he'll hike to fulfill the 5 10 mile hikes. I've told him no, that it means 10 miles in a single day for each hike. But it's put enough of a question in my mind I thought I'd get some input from others to make sure I'm not adding to the requirement.

If the "20 mile hike in one day" requirement were not present, the question about the 10 mile hike wouldn't exist. Everyone would know that "each on a different day" means to complete 10 miles on each day. Look at each requirement seperatly, rather than a whole, and you will get your answer.

Oh, by the way, Lawyers get really technical (it is their job) on the details. These two statements are clearly different:
I leave my money to John, Bill, and Sarah.

John & Bill get half, and Sarah gets the other half.
I leave my money to John, and Bill, and Sarah.

The money is divided among all three equally.

Remember, those who write the requirements are experts in that merit badge and do not really care about technicallities. So, go with the spirit of the requirements, follow them, and just try to teach the boys how to become men.

JazerNorth
http://www.jaynorth.net - The home of Scout Tracker
JazerNorth
Life

Numbers

Postby riverwalk » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:43 pm

Perhaps a smaller group can turn the 8 miler into a 10 (several ways to do it), for those really needing to do a 10 in one effort? Perhaps theplan could add in a sidetrack to a monument, park, marker or whatever. Or, hikers could reverse their route briefly then return again to destination....making the trip come out right? Just think outside the box and help those that only see the sides of the box???
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Re: Numbers

Postby WVBeaver05 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:28 pm

riverwalk wrote:Perhaps a smaller group can turn the 8 miler into a 10 (several ways to do it), for those really needing to do a 10 in one effort? Perhaps theplan could add in a sidetrack to a monument, park, marker or whatever. Or, hikers could reverse their route briefly then return again to destination....making the trip come out right? Just think outside the box and help those that only see the sides of the box???

I agree completely -- provided you can do it safely!!
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Postby firstdegreebb » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:44 pm

Thank you for the suggestion riverwalk. I'll make that suggestion to the boy as that clearly resolves the question.
firstdegreebb
Scout

Postby WeeWillie » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:05 pm

Do
5, 10, 10, 10, and 10, First day is a shakedown
or
10, 10, 5, 10 and 10. - Middle day a break to rest weary bones.

Both options are based on sound hiling principles and you don't have to compromise the requirment.
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby mhjacobson » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:18 pm

And there is a time limit for the 20 mile hike in one day.

This is a case where the "nothing more, nothing less" rules applies. A 10 mile hike in one day means exactly what it says. If the scouts are attempting to do 50 miles and they want the hikes to count, then they have to do 4 ten mile hikes in separate days. This also means that if a scout needs a 20 mile hike, he can not do it by combining the hikes from multiple days to make up the miles.

By the way, the plan that the SM has looks like it may be perfect for Backpacking MB!
50 year+ scouter -- have held almost all adult leader positions in Cubs, Scouts, & Venturing, currently serving as Council Scouting for Youth with Disabilities Chair.
mhjacobson
Eagle

Postby alex gregory » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:32 pm

I realize this is an older thread, but the original question is still relevant.

As a MBC for both, backpacking and hiking are really not the same thing, and should not be treated as such. The original trip as planned sounds like an awesome backpacking trip that meets at least one backpacking merit badge required trek, and possibly two. Without meeting the 10-mile min. no single leg of the trek as orignally described meets a hiking merit badge requirment.

The point of hiking is to enjoy the great outdoors in a single day, emphasis on DAY-trip. Obviously you bring the essentials, but if the plan is to go hiking leave the extra 20+ lbs. of camping gear at home and have fun. Hiking is different precisly because you are free from the extra weight, you can cover more ground with less effort and hopefully see and experience more, and you don't have to worry about setting up camp etc.

Hiking is also a great way to build up those muscles and lungs, and prepare the guys for the greater challenge of backpacking. Get the Hiking MB, and knock out at least one 3-day backpacking trek, and as interest, strength and skills grow go on a high-adventure 50+ mile backpacking trek. Philmont Ranch perhaps?
alex gregory
Eagle

Postby mhjacobson » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:09 pm

First of all tell the lawyer that he needs to go back to school and study reading and math. The requirement is clear that it refers to 5 different 10 mile continuous hikes -- the total distance does not count. Yes if you hike 10 miles in one of the days, that hike can count, and if you do 2 10 mile hikes they can count, but as you configured the hikes, they do not count.
50 year+ scouter -- have held almost all adult leader positions in Cubs, Scouts, & Venturing, currently serving as Council Scouting for Youth with Disabilities Chair.
mhjacobson
Eagle

Postby mhjacobson » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:15 pm

While I agree with Alex that it seems as you are doing more of a backpacking event than a hike, I can not totally agree with him as there was no iformation from you as to whether or not the boys would be actually wearning backpacks while undergoing your trek (many groups haev support vehicles bringing the supplies around).

The most important distinction between backpacking and hiking is (other than the wearning of the packs) the number of additional tasks and skills that you must demonstrate for backpacking MB as compared with hiking. There is a larger skill set: health concerns; equipment needs; leave no trace; water treatment; topographic map reading skills; inclement weather; backpacking stoves; sanitation; planning; proper wearing of the backpack; and the keeping of a journal of your activities. And then complete the 3 day - 15 mile treks (at a minimum of 5 miles a day). Considerably more than hiking.
mhjacobson
Eagle

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required