Enviornmental Science at summer camp.

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby Billiken » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:15 pm

pipestone1991 wrote:I did mine my during the 2005 summer camping season. I got it done. The prereqs were loaded though, had to do the ecosystem and 2 essays at home....if u didn't have them, sell, you were out of class.....we lost 23/4 of the boys.

pipestone1991:

Sorry to use this thread as a message board...but I can't contact you directly (adult - scout).

Question:

We've got 3 second year scouts taking E. Science this year at 7Ranges.
The only pre-req is 3E (endangered species essay).

While at 7Ranges do you perform ALL the experiments for 3ABCDF????
(Did you have to write any essays at camp?)

One of our scouts had an issue with fine motor skills. Handwriting for him is extremely difficult. He does all his school work on a laptop.

I'm actually thinking of taking a laptop/printer to camp.
Even though that risks Baden-Powell rolling over in his grave.

THANKS
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby FrankJ » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:38 pm

Billliken: A couple of things. environmental science was changed somewhat last year. We had several scouts take at summer camp; they had a fair amount of work outside the class which required writing. I do not know how much was required for the merit badge or just for the logistics of the teaching in a group.

Looking at the current requirements, they are several that require writing. Some like 1 & 2 could be done in advance and turned in. I sure if you discussed the issue with the camp councilor they wouldn't have a problem with it. A lot of the activities do not require writing. Some of the options that don't may not be practical at summer camp, but could be done in advance. 2.E.3 is a good example.

Personally the laptop idea doesn't bother me. Just be aware that there are probably limited places to charge it.

And yes, I know I am not named pipestone.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby Billiken » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:49 pm

FrankJ:

Thanks. :D

I messaged pipestone1991 since he attends the same summer camp that we do. Also, we use an "outpost" site (i.e. we do our own cooking) and have refrigerators and, obviously, electrical outlets.
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby Hubert » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:21 pm

Same here, I completed mine at summer camp, back when the Eco System in a bottle was required. I do not like partials, unless there is a huge reason, I do not think partials should be offered at summer camp. If I am going to pay the big $$ to go, I hope I can get merit badges completed.
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
Eagle Scout Class of 2008
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby WeeWillie » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:16 am

Your camp should have a Leader's Guide that lists pre-requisites and work that can be done at home. If you have questions contact the summer camp program director or similarly designated person from council. I'm sure most merit badge instructors would prefer reading a typed written requirement the first night of camp, then a handwritten, rained on written requirement (and everyone elses) at the end of camp.
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby ASM-142 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:47 am

I always review the camp pre-requirements with the scouts and I usually suggest to them additional pre-requirements. This way they are not at camp doing paperwork and can use the time to have some additional fun.
If it is not written down then it is not an official rule
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby Hubert » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:29 am

We try to do as much outside of the camp as we can. This way, the boys are ready for the class, and have little worries. The more you do outside, the less you have to do, inside the class.
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
Eagle Scout Class of 2008
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby ICanCanoeCanU » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:19 am

I've only seen 1 boy in our troop, not finish this badge at camp. He didn't want to spend the time doing field observation at camp so he finished it at home. Other than this, all the boys in the last 8 -10 years have completed the badge at camp. Start to finish for most of them.
ICanCanoeCanU
Eagle

Postby Billiken » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:16 am

We've had the pre-requisites for months. My question was regarding which options for E.S. requirement #3 the camp used/selected....the experiments or writing/reports.

The only pre-req posted at our camp is for 3E (all options require a written report).
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby pipestone1991 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:52 pm

Billiken wrote:
pipestone1991 wrote:I did mine my during the 2005 summer camping season. I got it done. The prereqs were loaded though, had to do the ecosystem and 2 essays at home....if u didn't have them, sell, you were out of class.....we lost 23/4 of the boys.

pipestone1991:

Sorry to use this thread as a message board...but I can't contact you directly (adult - scout).

Question:

We've got 3 second year scouts taking E. Science this year at 7Ranges.
The only pre-req is 3E (endangered species essay).

While at 7Ranges do you perform ALL the experiments for 3ABCDF????
(Did you have to write any essays at camp?)

One of our scouts had an issue with fine motor skills. Handwriting for him is extremely difficult. He does all his school work on a laptop.

I'm actually thinking of taking a laptop/printer to camp.
Even though that risks Baden-Powell rolling over in his grave.

THANKS

You do everything pretty much at camp now........when I did it in 2005 we had to do the essays and the ecosystem...what a mess bringing those to camp...now apparently you do them at camp.

Yes you do write things at camp....for instance the observations at each time during the day...also they gave out homework assignments almost everyday....bring a notebook and a few pens/ pencils!
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Previous

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required