New ES requirements

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

New ES requirements

Postby Lynda J » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:33 pm

I have a question regarding requirement b-2 on #3. What happens if a boy lives in the inner city and does not have a car. I have a friend that works with a group of boys in Chicago and all ride public transport everywhere.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby PaulSWolf » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:41 pm

The Scout would just have to choose b1 or b3.
3. Do ONE activity in EACH of the following categories (using the activities in this {the merit badge} pamphlet as the basis for planning and carrying out your projects):#
b. Air Pollution
1. Perform an experiment to test for particulates that contribute to air pollution. Discuss your findings with your counselor.
2. Record the trips taken, mileage, and fuel consumption of a family car for seven days, and calculate how many miles per gallon the car gets. Determine whether any trips could have been combined ("chained") rather than taken out and back. Using the idea of trip chaining, determine how many miles and gallons of gas could have been saved in those seven days.
3. Explain what is acid rain. In your explanation, tell how it affects plants and the environment and the steps society can take to help reduce its effects.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby Lynda J » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:40 am

Thanks Paul, I simply didn't read the entire requirement change
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby 616kayak » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:30 pm

with the new reqs i beleive a scout who has already started working on the badge can use the old reqs. what if he wants to use the new ones and hes already started?

I'm asking this because i have a partial and plan on finishing this with part of my troop who will be dong E-sci in a few months.
"Training is my business and business is always good"

Life scout / JASM
616kayak
Eagle

Postby CapXK » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:51 am

If you use the updated requirements you need to complete all of the new requirements. You can't pick and choose between old and new editions. It will be up to the MBC to accept any relevant work done on the partial old requirements to count towards completion.
The Ultimate Scoutmaster Answer, "Drink plenty of water and ask your Senior Patrol Leader."
CapXK
First Class

Postby PaulSWolf » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:03 pm

616kayak wrote:with the new reqs i beleive a scout who has already started working on the badge can use the old reqs. what if he wants to use the new ones and hes already started?

I'm asking this because i have a partial and plan on finishing this with part of my troop who will be dong E-sci in a few months.

If you've already started, you can use either the OLD or NEW requirements, but you can't "mix and match". Use ALL of one or the other set.

As CapXK said, if you want to use the new requirements, the MBC can choose to accept any relevant work done on the partial old requirements.

Looking at the changes, Requirement 1 has had no change, and thus would transfer with no problem. Requirement 2 has some new terms added, so you'd have to add that work, but the old work would be OK. The various parts of Requirement 3 have new options, but if you did work on the old ones, they should probably count (except 3f2). Old requirements 4, & 7 were deleted, so that work would not count. Old requirements 5 & 8 are now numbers 4 & 6, and were both rewritten, so work on those items would probably need to be checked carefully to see if it meets the current requirements.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required