Camping MB, Requirement 9 (a) Interpretation

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: Camping MB requirement 9a

Postby evmori » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:41 am

smtroop168 wrote:Hi everybody. Check the 2007 BSA requirements book hot off the press. They have changed 9a to say the 20 dys and nights "must be at a designated scouting activity or event".

Also I've never had a problem with scouts getting 20 days and nights with or without summer camp. The more challenging part of requirement 9 is 9b where you need to make sure your campouts include hiking up 1000 feet or backpacking, snoeshoe or cross country ski for 4 miles, bike trip of 15 miles, non-motorized water trip, overnight snow camping or rapeeling 30 feet or more.

I need to come up with a witty saying to end my posts. Cheers.


This is a good thing!

How about I need to come up with a witty saying to end my posts to end your posts with?
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm
 
Posts: 1109
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:24 pm
Location: Greater Pittsburgh Pittsburgh, PA

camping mb requirement 9a

Postby CA Leader » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:45 pm

Our troop has a variant on the question. The requirement says that only one week of "long term camp" can be used toward the 20 nights camping. Does "long term camp" include high adventure treks such as Philmont or No. Tier? Our view is that long term camp means sedentary camps where the scouts do not pitch their own tents and that high adventure treks can be used towards the 20 days in addition to a traditional summer camp. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.
CA Leader
Scout
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:45 pm

Postby PaulSWolf » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:17 pm

I agree completely. Philmont & Northern Tier treks should count in addition to the one week of "long term" camp. Philmont would also, of course, count toward Backpacking requirements 10 or 11.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:17 pm
Location: Lake Erie Council , Cleveland, Ohio

Postby lifescoutforlife » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:52 pm

Say you count 1 week now you have 7 days, and you go to another camp and go on out post for one night, should you be able to count that 1 night also seeing you went off camp and built a shelter or pitched a tent?
lifescoutforlife
Eagle
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 10:49 am
Location: Chief Cornplanter Council

Postby PaulSWolf » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:44 pm

lifescoutforlife wrote:Say you count 1 week now you have 7 days, and you go to another camp and go on out post for one night, should you be able to count that 1 night also seeing you went off camp and built a shelter or pitched a tent?
That would be up to the MB Counselor. I personally would have to consider it based on how much other camping the Scout has done. If he's young, has been camping regularly, and is one day short, I'd probably count it. If he's 17 and has camped very infrequently, I'd probably NOT count it and say "That's part of you week of summer camp and you've already been given crdit for a week of long term camping.".

Keep in mind that Camping is an integral part of Scouting. A Scout that is just squeeking by in Camping MB would be looked at very carefully. A Scout that hasn't been to at least 7 troop weekend campouts (plus a one long term camp) over an extended period doesn't sound like he's really trying very hard.

Of course, other counselors might make a different decision. As I said when I started out this reply, the final decision rests with that Scout's Counselor.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:17 pm
Location: Lake Erie Council , Cleveland, Ohio

Postby WeeWillie » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 am

Can someone explain to me why we have to adopt such hyper-legal intepretations to advancement requirements? The purpose of Camping Merit Badge is to produce accomplished campers, not trial lawyers.

13 short term camping days and nights is less than two years camping experience.
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 11:40 pm
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ

Postby cballman » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:43 am

the problem lies with some adults who want to make little johnny an eagle scout. they want to make everything so easy for their kids. they want to bypass the proper ways of doing things. instead of doing the req. they will sit and try to figure out how to not do the req. completey. now if it is little johnny who is trying to be an Eagle Scout then he will not make such a big stink and will do the req. as written and not make a big deal. they will ask questions about how to do something not to get around it. that is they way I have seen a lot of boys and parents over the last few years.
Charlie tha BEAR with issues
"if you aint a BEAR your snackfood"
cballman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:41 am
Location: Bluegrass Council KY

Postby evmori » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:46 am

cballman wrote:the problem lies with some adults who want to make little johnny an eagle scout. they want to make everything so easy for their kids. they want to bypass the proper ways of doing things. instead of doing the req. they will sit and try to figure out how to not do the req. completey. now if it is little johnny who is trying to be an Eagle Scout then he will not make such a big stink and will do the req. as written and not make a big deal. they will ask questions about how to do something not to get around it. that is they way I have seen a lot of boys and parents over the last few years.


I would agree.
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm
 
Posts: 1109
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:24 pm
Location: Greater Pittsburgh Pittsburgh, PA

Postby lifescoutforlife » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:29 am

PaulSWolf wrote:
lifescoutforlife wrote:Say you count 1 week now you have 7 days, and you go to another camp and go on out post for one night, should you be able to count that 1 night also seeing you went off camp and built a shelter or pitched a tent?
That would be up to the MB Counselor. I personally would have to consider it based on how much other camping the Scout has done. If he's young, has been camping regularly, and is one day short, I'd probably count it. If he's 17 and has camped very infrequently, I'd probably NOT count it and say "That's part of you week of summer camp and you've already been given crdit for a week of long term camping.".

Keep in mind that Camping is an integral part of Scouting. A Scout that is just squeeking by in Camping MB would be looked at very carefully. A Scout that hasn't been to at least 7 troop weekend campouts (plus a one long term camp) over an extended period doesn't sound like he's really trying very hard.

Of course, other counselors might make a different decision. As I said when I started out this reply, the final decision rests with that Scout's Counselor.


Thank You for your answer Paul, I asked this question because I did not know the answer of a question that was asked to me. I thought that was what this forum is for but I guess I have been mistaken. The boy that needed to know no longer needs to count his other outpost because he has over 20 days now and will be able to take Camping MB at camp.
lifescoutforlife
Eagle
 
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 10:49 am
Location: Chief Cornplanter Council

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Wed May 28, 2008 3:22 pm

May the first night of a Scout's SECOND year of summer camp be counted?
What about Jr. Leadership training camp? They're pitching their own tents there. For a Scout that has already counted a week of summer camp, are these just superfluous?

What about Scouts who were previously Lone Scouts (and can document their camping)?

I don't think I'd want to be a Camping MBC ;-)
AquilaNegra2
Eagle
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:51 pm
Location: Chief Seattle Council

Postby FrankJ » Wed May 28, 2008 6:24 pm

As a camping MBC, I count seven nights of summer camp, period. If a scout does an high adventure trip like northern tier or philmont where they are moving camp every day, I will consider them outside of the long term summer camp.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm
 
Posts: 1640
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:25 am
Location: Atlanta Area Council Foothills District

Previous

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests