Camping MB - Conservation Project questions

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Camping MB - Conservation Project questions

Postby JSW » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:00 am

Greetings all! (My first post here).....

I have two questions regarding the Camping MB's requirement 9c, which is

9 Show experience in camping by doing the following:
c. Perform a conservation project approved by the land owner or land managing agency.

#1. What kind of conservation projects have scouts done for the camping MB. I'n interested in some examples.

#2. Is this to be interpreted as saying that the project must be done on a camping trip? That is, if the project is done at some other event, does it succeed in "showing experience in camping"?

Thanks!
Hard Work pays off in the future. Procrastination only pays off now.
JSW
Scout

Re: Camping MB - Conservation Project questions

Postby ASM-142 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:18 am

JSW wrote:#1. What kind of conservation projects have scouts done for the camping MB. I'n interested in some examples.

Boys from my troop have performed trail clean-ups and brush removal.
JSW wrote:#2. Is this to be interpreted as saying that the project must be done on a camping trip? That is, if the project is done at some other event, does it succeed in "showing experience in camping"?

Being that the previous edition of the requirement stated "On one of your campouts, perform" and now just says "Perform" it can be interpreted as not needing to be done on a camping trip even though I think it should be.
If it is not written down then it is not an official rule
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby deweylure » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:21 am

You can do trail cleaning,erosion protection projects,wildlife habitat restoration,prarie restoration,tree re planting etc. Check with nyour MB counselor I am sure he/she can help.

Dewey
deweylure
Eagle

Postby WeeWillie » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:14 am

Minor editorial changes a requirement does not constitute a redefinition of the requirement to avoid the intent of a requirement. After all, the Merit Badge is Camping and Requirement 9 is camping activities. I would expect a Camping Merit Badge Counselor to have enough experience in BSA Camping and realize the requirement is intended to be done while camping.

Projects

Long ago, my Scoutmaster always had a hammer and nails for light projects.

I don't know of a public campground that could not use a good trash removal.

Light nylon cord is good for lashing staves accross short cut trails.

Line rocks along trails to slow down rain run off.
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby gwd-scouter » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:26 am

We have cleared brush from trails, cut new switchbacks in a very steep trail at our local council camp (with the Ranger's permission and guidance, of course), cleaned out fire rings at the state park, and last month, we canoed out to an island in the middle of our state park's lake and cleaned up litter left by inconsiderate campers. Quite a load.

And, yes, all of our conservation projects are done as part of a campout.
gwd-scouter
Star

Postby WeeWillie » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:15 am

I forgot to mention. My 1st Scoutmaster, Mr Dunney, had a motto "Always leave your campsite better than you found it." It is a principle that I have tried to apply to other situations such as work, church, friends....

There is more to merit badges than just meeting the requirement.
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby Quailman » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:02 pm

Sorry to bump such an old thread.

A boy came up to me Saturday at dinner time while our troop was at District Camporee. He asked what sort of projects he could do to meet this requirement. I asked what timeframe he had in mind, and he said "Any time before CoH." Unbeknownst to me at the time, the CoH had been postponed from last night to a later Monday (probably two weeks), so I first said "No way!".

He wasn't camping with us but had come up for the day. He has camped plenty, but he hasn't been with us when, as a troop, we've done trail maintenance projects. Since 9C reads "Show experience in camping by doing the following...Perform a conservation project approved by the landowner or land managing agency," I do not believe he has to do this while on a camping trip. 9B specifies that you must, but not 9C.

So I am inclined to let him do a project during a day visit either of the next two weekends in order to meet this requirement. It's all he has left to complete this MB.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:04 pm

IMHO you are reading it correctly. If it does noy say while camping then he can do it anytime.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required