Citizenship in the Nation: Letter

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Citizenship in the Nation: Letter

Postby scubascout » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:14 am

Do you have to send the letter to the congressman or can you just write it and show it to show counselor
scubascout
Life

Postby Lynda J » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:45 am

The requirement clearly states that you are to:

write a letter about a national issue and SEND it to one of these elected officials, share your view with him or her. Show your letter and ANY RESPONSE you receive to your counselor.

I don't know how much clearer it can be that you are to "send the letter to the member of Congress."

It always worries me when someone suggest that a scout does not due the requirement as written.

Remember as a counselor or SM you can not add to to subtract any portion of the requirement.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby scubascout » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:47 am

ok thanks
scubascout
Life

Postby ASM-142 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:52 am

A number of years ago the MBC that was associated with my troop for this Badge would not sign off on the requirement unless a response to a sent letter was received. It took a lot on convincing this counselor that she was wrong.
If it is not written down then it is not an official rule
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby Lynda J » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:27 pm

The social studies teacher that counsels this badge for our troop has the scout bring the letter to one of their meetings. She reads it then has the scout mail it. She gives them about a month to receive a response. Then she signs off on the badge. This way the scout isn't tied up in case there is no response. We are lucky one of our representative is actually from our community so we have a good record of getting a response. I do know of other scouts that have waited 6 months and not gotten a response. I think that sometimes it depends on if an elected official has any knowledge of Scouting.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby cballman » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:33 pm

the way that a merit badge counselor that helps our troop does it. he takes the letter and a envelope from the scout and mails it himself. so that he knows the letter has been mailed. he then signs off the req. and then he waits for the scout to bring him the reply.
Charlie tha BEAR with issues
"if you aint a BEAR your snackfood"
cballman
Site Admin

Postby scubascout » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:55 pm

i just finished the meeting with my meriat badge counselor, i wrote out the letter and sshowed it to her (i didnt send it yet) she signed off on everything, trusting me that i will type and send the letter

And i will 8)
scubascout
Life

Postby WeeWillie » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:27 pm

Scuba

Good for you! A Scouts honor is best binding when it is not observed.
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby scoutaholic » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:15 am

Lynda J wrote:The requirement clearly states that you are to:

write a letter about a national issue and SEND it to one of these elected officials, share your view with him or her. Show your letter and ANY RESPONSE you receive to your counselor.

I don't know how much clearer it can be that you are to "send the letter to the member of Congress."

The current requirement is as quoted. Prior to Jan '05, the wording was such that you could fulfil the requirement without actually sending the letter.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby Lynda J » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:13 am

Name your two senators and the congressman from your congressional district. Write a letter to one of these elected officials on a national issue sharing your view with him or her. Show your letter and any response to your counselor.

It would be a little hard to "share your view with him or her." Or "show any response to your counselor", if you did not mail the letter.

I believe that the intent of the earlier requirement was that the letter be sent. This is probably why they changed there requirements to include SEND.

Also if the scout is just now beginning the badge it is necessary for him to complete the current requirements.

Our counselor has started accepting e-mail letters. All of our elected officials have e-mail addresses.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby Quailman » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:31 am

Our congressman replied to my son rather quickly, thanking him for sharing his views (he did not think it was appripriate for Bush to be listening in on phone conversations without a warrant). I wondered if others had similar experiences as far as getting replies.

Since he was so quick to reply, I have since sent him correspondence indicating my own opinion in several matters. He even replies when you don't start out by saying you're a boy scout.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby SM93 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:06 pm

One of the options our scouts have taken to, with great success, is sending the letter via email. Most of our elected officials have a staff ready and able to field these emails and respond quickly. One of our scouts had a response in about 2 weeks.
Growing Boys into Men
SM93
Scout

Postby Mad Dog » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:34 am

My son was working on this over the weekend. There is a contact page on our congressman's website. Actually a subpage of www.house.gov. It allows you to fill in all relevant information (name, address etc.) and then enter your comments. Once you hit submit you get a confirmation page that you can print. A little later he received an auto-reply thanking him for his feedback. He is waiting to see if he gets a peronal reply as well.
Mad Dog

ASM - MBC
Mad Dog
Life

Postby scubascout » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:03 pm

i just sent the to house.gov. do you think they'll respond.
scubascout
Life

Postby RWSmith » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:23 pm

Citizenship In The Nation, Req. 8 states, "Name your two senators and the member of Congress from your congressional district. Write a letter about a national issue and send it to one of these elected officials, sharing your view with him or her. Show your letter and any response you receive to your counselor."

I would note that the requirement specifically says to, "Write a letter....and send it". That does not appear to me being the same as sending an e-mail (or filling in a contact form on their website). There's a lot to be said for the power of a hand-written letter. Even if you typed it up on your computer... if you signed it, it would still mean a whole lot more than banging out some rant on a contact page. And getting a reply from an Auto-responder most certainly does NOT count as a response.

Just my interpretation; but... What you do is between you and your MBC.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby RWSmith » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:06 pm

BTW, if you really want to get politically active, the internet way, then try http://www.usa.gov/Contact/Elected.shtml.

You can also use the (formerly) AWESOME http://www.congress.org; but, their privacy practices have changed to such a degree that, if you EVER use them, you will be forever on every PAC mailing/calling list. Use the website as a resource tool; but, DO NOT EVER submit personal information (i.e., name, address, telephone number) unless and until you have fully read and understand their privacy policy.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby Mad Dog » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:16 pm

From Craig Lincoln's worksheet on USScouts.org:

Write a letter about a national issue and send it to one of these elected officials, sharing your view with him or her. Show your letter and any response you receive to your counselor. (Note: Per National, the letter must also be sent by fax, email, or regular mail.)

http://usscouts.org/mb/mb003.html

When you complete the online form on the house website it is emailed to the congressman; this is done for security, you can not attach a file that may contain a virus.
Mad Dog

ASM - MBC
Mad Dog
Life

Re:

Postby alex gregory » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:09 pm

RWSmith wrote:Citizenship In The Nation, Req. 8 states, "Name your two senators and the member of Congress from your congressional district. Write a letter about a national issue and send it to one of these elected officials, sharing your view with him or her. Show your letter and any response you receive to your counselor."

I would note that the requirement specifically says to, "Write a letter....and send it". That does not appear to me being the same as sending an e-mail (or filling in a contact form on their website). There's a lot to be said for the power of a hand-written letter. Even if you typed it up on your computer... if you signed it, it would still mean a whole lot more than banging out some rant on a contact page. And getting a reply from an Auto-responder most certainly does NOT count as a response.

Just my interpretation; but... What you do is between you and your MBC.

As a CIN MBC I could not agree more. A letter is a letter is a letter, a letter is not an e-mail. I also know that US Senators and aides place far more value on a letter than they do on other forms of communication. I highly encourage my guys to type a letter, but handwritten is OK. The letter absolutely must be sent - all my guys have sent their letters by mail, but I guess a FAX would be acceptable. E-mail by attachment is not OK because as stated in prior postings the e-mail attachment will be rejected. The guys are always thrilled to get a response, and they almost always get a letter response.
alex gregory
Eagle

Re: Citizenship in the Nation: Letter

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:31 am

Count me as another CiN counselor who wants to see a written letter. It helps the boys to research and really think about the issues since they need to share their point of view. Letters almost always get a written reply. Something tangible for the boys' books, and a sense that they have a voice.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Re: Citizenship in the Nation: Letter

Postby Ursus Snorous Roarus » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:04 am

How long do you want the Scout to wait for a response? This happened to one of my guys and it started building up to a big deal. Counselor kept wanting him to hang on a little longer, kid wanted to get the MB done. Finally the Counselor relinquished and the day before their meeting a response arrived. Problem averted, at least this time.
Ursus Snorous Roarus
Star

Next

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required