swimming and Lifesaving

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Should Swimming And Lifesaving be required with no alternates except for extreme cases?

Yes
58%
No
42%
not sure
No votes

Total votes : 33

Postby Ridge Runner » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:58 pm

I prefer to stay with Baden Powell's standards....every scout a swimmer, and Be Prepared.
Ridge Runner
First Class

Postby Hubert » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:32 pm

I hate to be the Odd man out but I voted no.

I am not "afraid" of the water, but I however have a breathing problem. I am unable to run/swim long distances. I have a hard enough time running/swimming 3o feet. I know, all of your points are great, I fully agee with them.

I may not have a disability, but I do however have a....set back? I could ride a bike better than anything else because you can coast on a bike and catch your breath.
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
Eagle Scout Class of 2008
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:40 pm

If you swim well enough to pass the swimmer test which is "Required for first class" you sawim well enough to earn swimming mb. AT one time evry Eagle was a swimmer and a life saver. No More! Too Bad!
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Hubert » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:42 pm

wagionvigil wrote:If you swim well enough to pass the swimmer test which is "Required for first class" you sawim well enough to earn swimming mb. AT one time evry Eagle was a swimmer and a life saver. No More! Too Bad!

I had a hard enough time passing that.

Dont you have to swim a mile or a long distance for Swim. MB?
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:43 pm

No! Read the requirements
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Hubert » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:49 pm

O Ok. (I still dont want to do it!) :wink:

I just dont feel comfortable. lol. I am not a hughe swimmer person, I love to bike though!
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby WeeWillie » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:42 pm

There are places like the Desert Southwest and Northern states where Swimming and Lifesaving aren't as available as more temperate climates.
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby Craft Lady » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:21 pm

I don't know about the Desert Southwest portion of that argument. My nephew had an easier time taking his Swim test then my son did. Why because the pools in Southern Arizona were open longer then Southern Indiana.

My son crossed over in December and didn't get to take his swim test until June. My nephew joined a troop in September and took his swim test in September.

Pools are closed here come Mid August, unless it is an indoor pool which we didn't have at the time but do now.

Sorry I just struggle with that logic. I went swimming in Parker in June and just south of Lake Havasu in July so it is not due to heat. It might be more work to find a place to swim but you have more months that are options.

I say this as one that is for the options. I am for the options because who gets to decide when there needs to be an exemption. Would it be automatic when a boy is given an alternative for the First class swim test? A friend of mine her son has been a Boy Scout for over a year now. He is terrified of water. He goes into a panic attack at even the mention of him getting in a body of water. He has a diagnoised anxiety disorder. They have been going through the red tape for a year now trying to get alternatives for him for the swim test. I can only imagine if they had to go through that for the swim test AND the swimming merit badge.

I felt the swimming merit badge was important. My son we thought we "might" have to seek an alternative for him. Every time before when he attempted the swim test he had an asthma attack and failed. I was told that I should start the process to get an alternative. Instead I said I wanted him to attempt it again first. Well he was working in the Boy Scout Patrol for Cub Scout Day camp. There he was given the oppertunity to take the swim test and work on the swimming Merit badge, after camp closed for the day. There was him and 5 other boys that were given this oppertunity. Not only did he PASS the swim test, he managed to earn his swimming Merit badge. The was his first Eagle Required MB and his 2nd MB overall. Talk about a boost to his ego the first Eagle Required one he earns is one he never thought he would earn.

So needless to say I really wish boys would at least attempt it. You never know they could suprise you (like my son) and if nothing else they should learn something in the process.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Craft Lady
Second Class

Postby mhjacobson » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:05 pm

There is a real difference between a 'fear' of water and a diagnosed phobia. If there is truly a medical diagnosis that a phobia exists, then anohter activitiey can be substituted for the swimming requirement for first class. The development of an approved Individual Scout Advancement Plan is a required element of this action and the disability label (in this case the phobia) must come from a doctor who is appropriately licensed and trained to make this diagnosis. This is the same as if person with chronic asthma needed to have this requirement substituted for medical reasons.
50 year+ scouter -- have held almost all adult leader positions in Cubs, Scouts, & Venturing, currently serving as Council Scouting for Youth with Disabilities Chair.
mhjacobson
Eagle

Previous

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required