question: scout working as a page for the State Government

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

question: scout working as a page for the State Government

Postby cad-guy » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:06 am

My son has just become a boy scout this year and is in the process of earning his first merit badges. Next week, he has the opportunity to be a Page in the State House of Representatives. I was wondering what badge could we apply this towards. Will it depend on his counselor? Just curious, because this is a great opportunity for him and we would really love for it to qualify towards a badge.....Thanks for any input you can give.
cad-guy
Second Class

Postby scubascout » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:14 am

I'm not so sure on this one, but probably citizenship in the nation and american heritage(probably not) but i have to read up on the requirements

And tell your son to take his time, work on rank advancement at his own pace and do merit badges when you have extra time. (In your son's case, he has the oppurtunity, so i would understand)
scubascout
Life

Postby Quailman » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:06 am

Citizen in the Community:
3. Do the following:
a Attend a city or town council or school board meeting, or a municipal; county, or state court session.
b Choose one of the issues discussed at the meeting where a difference of opinions was expressed, and explain to your counselor why you agree with one opinion more than you do another one.
4 Choose an issue that is important to the citizens of your community; then do the following:
a Find out which branch of local government is responsible for this issue.
b With your counselor's and a parent's approval, interview one person from the branch of government you identified in requirement 4a. Ask what is being done about this issue and how young people can help.
c Share what you have learned with your counselor.

Citizen in the Nation
2 Do TWO of the following:
b Tour your state capitol building or the U.S. Capitol. Tell your counselor what you learned about the capitol, its function, and the history.
8 Name your two senators and the member of Congress from your congressional district. Write a letter about a national issue and send it to one of these elected officials, sharing your view with him or her. Show your letter and any response you receive to your counselor.

He might also see if he can find a MB Counselor there who can help him work on Law.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby WeeWillie » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:01 pm

If it is an unpaid position, community service.
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required