question about swimming

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

question about swimming

Postby cad-guy » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:43 am

I'm planning on teaching the swimming merit badge this summer. I am a certified red cross instructor. In many of the red cross classes, the swimmers are not able to pass because of some of the physical requirements and many different strokes. My question about the merit badge is: how proficient do the scouts have to be at the MB requirements. Can I expose them to the strokes in one day, they do it, but the next day can't remember how to do it? Just curious on how others have handled it. Thanks for any info you can give....
cad-guy
Second Class

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:47 am

i usually did swimming over 4 r 5 sessions and introduced a stroke or two per session. My opinion is they should be able to remember and do the stroke with some profiency . If they cannot do a whip kick what did they learn. The sissors is so important to the side stroke and then later in Lifesaving
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby SM-890 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:48 am

As a MB counselor, you are primarily the one to decide, as long as it meets and does not exceed the requirements. If you are wanting to make sure that they learn and remember the strokes and you are working with them over several days, instruct on one day and then let them do the test on another. I know how you feel. So often something is taught and then immediately tested, so is not truly learned.
Committee - Troop 890
Cherokee/Pickens District
Atlanta Area Council
http://www.bsatroop890.org
SM-890
First Class

Postby evmori » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:56 am

I am a swimming MB counselor. I expect the Scouts to remember the strokes they were taught and do them well enough so they are not just flailing around in the water.
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby FrankJ » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:30 am

In my humble opinion, this is one of the more important merit badges. The assumption is at the end of it the scout should be at least a competent swimmer. Having said that, you also cannot add to the requirements.

The stroke requirement says "in good form and strong manner" I wouldn't look for perfection in the strokes as much a strong stroke that is essentially correct in form.

The summer camps that I have been to will move non swimmers who take the swimming merit badge into a swimming class. If their skills develop they will sign off the requirements that have been met.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby jr56 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:24 pm

I agree, if the scouts can fulfill the requirements as written, then they have succeeded in earning the badge.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required