Personal Managment changes

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Personal Managment changes

Postby Hardy » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:50 am

My sons has completed all of the requirements for Personal Management and is waiting for this Councilor the schedule an appt. to finish. I was on Merit Badge this morning and saw that the Requ. have changed greatly since he started this badge in March. Do the old Requ. still stand or does he have to throw out his work and start again? Thanks for your time.
Hardy

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:00 am

He is fine
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby RWSmith » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:48 am

Just to be a little more specific, (BTW, the information you seek can be found elsewhere with the threads of this board... But, I'll cover it here, so you don't have to go hunting)...

RULE 1: Once a Scout "begins" working on a Merit Badge, the current requirements (at that time) may be used until he completes the badge or turns 18, which ever comes first.

RULE 2: Now, here's where is gets messy... Once "revised" requirements are officially released, they may be used in lieu of the "outgoing" requirements. However, a Scout may, at his option, start the MB using either set of requirements until the new MB pahmplet has been updated. Once the MB phamplet has been updated, the old requirements are officially dead (except to those who have already started) and, at this point, a Scout can no longer BEGIN working on the MB under the old requirements. If you are confused, try looking at it this way... The logic behind all this is simple... Even though a Scout (or MBC) knows that new requirements have been released and that the MB phamplet is under revision, he has the right to choose... A) He may BEGIN working on the MB using the "new" requirements or, B) he may BEGIN by using the "old" requirements (but, still current edition of MB phamplet) until the "revised" MB phamplet is published.

RULE 3: Whenever requirements do change, and a Scout has already started on the MB under the old requirements, he always has the option to complete the Merit Badge under the new requirements. BUT, regardless of his choice, the Scout must complete one set of requirements -or- the other... old requirements cannot be mixed and matched up with some of the new requirements, or vice versa, to complete any MB.

Follow those three rules, in order, and you can't go wrong. Should RULE No. "2" it ever become an issue, and I've never seen it happen, the way check is to verify the date of the SM's or ASM's signature on the Blue Card acknowledging the MB is being started, must be BEFORE the MB phamplet's revision date. Besides, if I ever had a doubt, it would be under Rule No. "3" -- mixing and matching requirements.

Are you thoroughly confused, now? :?
RWSmith
Site Admin

Re: Personal Managment changes

Postby Rick Tyler » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:48 am

Hardy wrote:I was on Merit Badge this morning and saw that the Requ. have changed greatly since he started this badge in March. Do the old Requ. still stand or does he have to throw out his work and start again? Thanks for your time.

If he started work under the old requirements he can either finish it under the old requirements, or he can start over using the new requirements. It's up to him. What he CANNOT do is combine old and new requirements.

Coincidentally, my older son just finished PersManagement using the old requirements. So, do you know the five ways of managing risk? :roll:
Rick Tyler
Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 575, Chief Seattle Council
OA, Wood Badge, Merit Badge Guy, &c.
Rick Tyler
Life

Postby hops_scout » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:04 pm

Alright, I've got a question similar to this...

I have one requirement left for this meritbadge with the old requirements. In the new requirements, this last one is no longer included. Apparently, this is the only change that I've been told is there.

I'm just wondering what I need to do to finish it. I would think that I would be done, but I'm not sure.

Thanks
Putting the Outing Back into Scouting
Rappel Tower D Youth Staff 2005
hops_scout
Site Admin

Postby RWSmith » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:55 pm

hops_scout wrote:I have one requirement left for this merit badge with the old requirements. In the new requirements, this last one is no longer included. Apparently, this is the only change that I've been told is there. I'm just wondering what I need to do to finish it. I would think that I would be done, but I'm not sure.

Hops,

Which MB?
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby hops_scout » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:17 pm

Personal Management. Thats why it is in the the same thread;)
hops_scout
Site Admin

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:37 pm

hops you started under the old requirements so finish under the old. You cannot mix the new and te old. Its all or nothing.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby hops_scout » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:00 pm

Alright, thats what I figured. I just wondered b/c if I had started it only 3,4 weeks later, I'd be done, but I'm not. Kinda weird I think.
hops_scout
Site Admin

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required