The Eagle Badges

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

The Eagle Badges

Postby tombstone30 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:28 am

My son has completed atleast two or three of his final 5 required merit badges for eagle on paper already but he does not have the number of anybody who can discuss it with him and give him the merit badge. I was wondering if anyone knew how to get numbers for the people my on has to contact. Thanks.
tombstone30

Re: The Eagle Badges

Postby Rick Tyler » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:45 am

tombstone30 wrote:My son has completed atleast two or three of his final 5 required merit badges for eagle on paper already but he does not have the number of anybody who can discuss it with him and give him the merit badge. I was wondering if anyone knew how to get numbers for the people my on has to contact. Thanks.

Merit Badge counselors are approved by your local Council, and (at least here) the local Districts maintain lists of MB counselors. The best place to start is your son's Scoutmaster, who has the responsibility to direct your son to a counselor. If he can't help, you probably want to call your Council service office for help.
Rick Tyler
Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 575, Chief Seattle Council
OA, Wood Badge, Merit Badge Guy, &c.
Rick Tyler
Life

Postby dparker » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:46 am

It really depends on your troop. Many troops are large enough that they are able to maintain a group of volunteers to serve the Scouts in their troop. You would need to ask the Scoutmaster or the Committee. In our Council, the merit badge counselor list is maintained in each district. You can call your council office and ask them how to get the list, as well.

Some districts in my council maintain a list online of the counselors and the merit badges they help with. By the way, ideally your son should get his merit badge card signed by his Scout leader and at that time, the leader should give him one or more names of counselors. He would then go (with a buddy) to the counselor and talk about starting the merit badge. Things don't always work out that way, but it is a good habit to get into.
David Parker
Committee Member, Troop 92
Toloma Lodge 64
dparker
Star

Postby Guneukitschik » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:45 am

I like that you said "my son has to contact" the merit badge counselors...
That's a big part in the Merit Badge process. It teaches them alot about communicating with adults and others.

Good luck in finding your counselors!
Guneukitschik

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required