Citizenship in the Community

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby MDEagle » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:04 am

Quailman wrote:Although my oldest went to a municipal court session, the best 'difference of opinion' either of us has experienced was when we attended a property owners' association board meeting three years ago.

:lol:

I agree... If BSA wants Scouts to experience free-speech in action, they should require the boys to attend a Home Owners Association meeting.

The ones I've been to have been very rowdy and heated... lots of things being weighed... individual property rights, property values, intent of the wording of the convenants, neighborhood safety, needs of families with children, desires of retirees for quiet...

A few years back when elections were ongoing, I had one question for the candidates: Which one of you is going to leave me alone?

It garnered me a reputation as the neighborhood grump, and I'm glad it did, because now they all just don't bother with me at all. Which is fine.
MDEagle
Star

Postby Mrw » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:40 pm

MDEagle wrote:
Quailman wrote:Although my oldest went to a municipal court session, the best 'difference of opinion' either of us has experienced was when we attended a property owners' association board meeting three years ago.

:lol:

I agree... If BSA wants Scouts to experience free-speech in action, they should require the boys to attend a Home Owners Association meeting.

The ones I've been to have been very rowdy and heated... lots of things being weighed... individual property rights, property values, intent of the wording of the convenants, neighborhood safety, needs of families with children, desires of retirees for quiet...

A few years back when elections were ongoing, I had one question for the candidates: Which one of you is going to leave me alone?

It garnered me a reputation as the neighborhood grump, and I'm glad it did, because now they all just don't bother with me at all. Which is fine.

I knew there was a reason we limited our home search to a neighborhood without a homeowners association and a long list of goofy deed restrictions!
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby Hubert » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:33 pm

When I did mine, I was unable to attend my own citys meeting. It just so happned, that the city where my troop met in, in the building next door, their city council met at the same time as my meeting. So I started my meeting off and walked over there to fufill my requirement.

I like the idea of the boy watching it on tv, if they meet during school, he cant go. So watching it on tv is just as close, its just not live. Whats the difference? Its the same meeting, just at a later time. If you can attend a meeting over the phone, I think he should be able to watch it on tv. But honestly, whats the difference?
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
Eagle Scout Class of 2008
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby RWSmith » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:47 pm

Just so there are no mis-understandings here... although they tend to be rowdy, as noted above, and would probably make for a great time, a Home- or Property-owners Association meeting simply does not meet the specifications of Req. 3, which plainly states:

Citizenship in the Community Merit Badge...
    Req. 3. Do the following:
    a. Attend a city or town council or school board meeting, or a municipal, county, or state court session.
    b. Choose one of the issues discussed at the meeting where a difference of opinions was expressed, and explain to your counselor why you agree with one opinion more than you do another one.
Now, I know some MBCs may claim that they have the right interpret the requirements as they see fit, and that a little latitude is in order here. However, I would disagree. I'm not making this point to start an argument; but, simply put, the Admins (and Mods) on this site are obligated to step in an make corrections clear when when an Advancement question/issue has been raised with some type of error.

Now, I have a question... "What if" (sorry) there is a Re-zoning meeting sponsored (by the local govt.) in a particular community? Or, maybe a re-districting school boundaries meeting sponsored (by the local govt.) in a particular community? Now, to me, that's latutude. There might be just one (or two) city/county/whatever employee(s) at the meeting, with a group of neighbors who probably want to tear his (or her) head off. Do you think that should be allowed under Req. 3?
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby ASM-142 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:53 am

I am also a C in C MBC. As such, I would only accept attending the meeting in person. If the meeting is watched on TV, you only see and hear what is broadcast and not everyone's comments. You also do not have an opportunity to add your own comments.
If it is not written down then it is not an official rule
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby Quailman » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:23 am

RWSmith wrote:Now, I have a question... "What if" (sorry) there is a Re-zoning meeting sponsored (by the local govt.) in a particular community? Or, maybe a re-districting school boundaries meeting sponsored (by the local govt.) in a particular community? ... Do you think that should be allowed under Req. 3?

Isn't that "a city or town council" meeting? Granted, public comment and participation isn't generally solicited at regular meetings, but that's still what this is - a city council meeting. And you get exposed to everyone's point of view, no matter how self-serving it may be.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby MDEagle » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:26 am

RWSmith wrote:Just so there are no mis-understandings here... although they tend to be rowdy, as noted above, and would probably make for a great time, a Home- or Property-owners Association meeting simply does not meet the specifications of Req. 3...

Thanks for clarifying, Admin.

You are correct, of course. The intent is for Scouts to see local government in action... not a non-governmental entity, no matter how entertaining and/or informative that might be.

I guess I overlooked that a school board meeting would count towards the requirement until you brought it up. Those can be dramatic, too, since people tend to be passionate about their kids' education. Not to mention, there's direct relevance to the Scouts' every day lives.
MDEagle
Star

Postby Lynda J » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:10 pm

Recently Iwas watching one of our Historical Zoning Committee meetings.
There was an entire Troop of boys there. They actually introduced the troop. You can go to Historical Committee meetings. Zoning board meetings. It has to be a government meeting. If you live in a small community check out their municipal courts. There have been times that either Cub or Boy Scouts have lead the pledge before the meetings start.
It is a great way to help boys get involved with their local government.

And sorry but our kids get to much of the world from TV. I think they need to learn about hands on government.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Previous

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required