MBC First aid ?...

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

MBC First aid ?...

Postby Hubert » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:27 pm

Should there be a minimum age to be an MBC for first aid or emergency prepardness? I wish to be a MBC when I turn 18 in Feb. I am however told that I shouldnt be a MBC for those 2 bc of my age. I however do know my stuff, I am certified bt the Red Cross in First Aid responding to Emergencies, CPR (Adult, Child, Infant), Epipen injection, and AED. (I tink I covered them all) I also am in Nurseing classes in our Skill Center and plan on becoming a nurse for my occupation. However, due to being only 18, should that restrict me when I try to become a MBC for first aid and Emergency Prepardness?
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
Eagle Scout Class of 2008
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:32 pm

BSA has no age restriction on counseling any of the Merit Badges. The only restriction is that you must be 18 to register as a Merit Badge Counselor.
Nuts4Scouts
Eagle

Postby scouter01 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:54 pm

thats the offcial one, but im sure parents will still think you are unfit.
scouter01
Eagle

Postby RWSmith » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:32 pm

scouter01 wrote:....but im sure parents will still think you are unfit.

You know, scouter01, I [respectfully] disagree... "Unfit" just seems a bit harsh.

However, Hubert, I will say this... As a minimum, you could take the ARC instructor courses for First Aid, CPR, etc., in order boost your "qualifications." (The instructor course standards are tougher than just passing the course you will teach.) And, if you're really serious about it; then join a Rescue Squad or Wilderness Rescue Crew (if they're in your area) and get your basic EMT license, which I can assure you, ain't no walk in the park... the testing standards (when you go before the state board) are even tougher. Also, consider WFA.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby cballman » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:12 pm

Hubert I understand what you are trying to do and I commend you for wanting to further your education. what I see from the parents is that you are still a child in scouts. it has nothing to do with your qualifcations. but then as a scout leader I see you as a valuable asset to our merit badge program. I have seen both sides of this issue and I will side with knowledge and education over age anytime.
Charlie tha BEAR with issues
"if you aint a BEAR your snackfood"
cballman
Site Admin

Postby scouter01 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:08 pm

i was just being hard, but im sure some parents would take it into consideration. i wound't care.
scouter01
Eagle

Postby Hubert » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:28 pm

Yes, I have plans on becoming a nurse when I graduate. I plan on going to a local college and getting my LPN, then transfering to a bigger college for my RN. I also plan on getting EMT trained as well.

I just wish that some people dont look at age as an issue. I believe its your qualifications that matter most.
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Skill

Postby riverwalk » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:34 am

Consider this besides your obvious qualifications. And you know I appreciate your current skills, being similarly skilled.

Beyond any official expectations for a MBC, it would be a natural expectation to seek out one whose vocation or hobby has more time in a given Field. Granted many can have training to know how to share the skill requirements. Someone with experience in a Badge area will have opportunity to reinforce points, mistakes that can be made, or sources for greater information on the Badge's theme.

Now that didn't say a younger presenter can't do an admirable job, but try to see where others may want to find a longer practicing person.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby Mrw » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:53 am

The other issue is that along with the parents, some kids in the troop might see you as a big kid and not an adult for the first couple years after you turn 18. After that, the newer kids coming in will have always known you as an adult and it quickly becomes a non-issue.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby ASM-142 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:56 am

Age should not be a matter for this since at summercamp the badges are usually taught by someone under 18.
If it is not written down then it is not an official rule
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby Fibonacci » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:24 am

Two of our former troop members (both Eagle Scouts) are involved in our local fire department. One is part-way through his EMT training and assisted the troop to learn some First Aid skills at the last troop meeting. Even though he is only 18, the Scouts and parents respect his thorough knowledge & expertise. We'd be happy if he had the time to become a MB counselor and to teach a class.

My own son is 15 and recently led a Reptile & Amphibian Study mb class under the supervision of an adult counselor. His knowledge of and experience with herpetology far surpasses hers, but she is the registered adult. I think the class participants received excellent instruction from this team.

Personally, I believe that knowledge of the subject matter is much more important than age.
Fibonacci
Life

Postby t305spl » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:12 pm

I have always completely disagreed with the age limit. It goes against the BSA theme of Boy Led.

If a scout no matter what age can meet the same requirements to become one as an adult there should be no question...and I feel it is wrong.

I am an Outdoor Emergency Care Technician(EMT's Non-Urban Equivalent), and with that certification work as an Alpine Patroller in the National Ski Patrol. I spend over 500 hours a year patrolling. How can I respond to emergencies that range from simple cuts to major traumas, on a steep slope, in all weather conditions, on an icy surface, by myself but can not be a MBC for the BSA's First Aid and Emergency Preparedness Merit Badges. It is completely illogical; I know many counselors with far less training or certification levels out there that are teaching the badge without a problem.

The BSA needs to rework this issue...it's not appropriate.
Matt A.
Eagle Scout
Asst. Scoutmaster
t305spl
Eagle

Postby scouter01 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:05 pm

t305spl wrote:I have always completely disagreed with the age limit. It goes against the BSA theme of Boy Led.

If a scout no matter what age can meet the same requirements to become one as an adult there should be no question...and I feel it is wrong.

I am an Outdoor Emergency Care Technician(EMT's Non-Urban Equivalent), and with that certification work as an Alpine Patroller in the National Ski Patrol. I spend over 500 hours a year patrolling. How can I respond to emergencies that range from simple cuts to major traumas, on a steep slope, in all weather conditions, on an icy surface, by myself but can not be a MBC for the BSA's First Aid and Emergency Preparedness Merit Badges. It is completely illogical; I know many counselors with far less training or certification levels out there that are teaching the badge without a problem.

The BSA needs to rework this issue...it's not appropriate.

I think part of it is in the issue of a boy just signing stuff off for freinds. Just a concern perhaps ( not that i think anyone would do that)
scouter01
Eagle

Postby t305spl » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:57 pm

I'm just going to play devils advocate...

I am sure there are some adults that would do that to. It's trust...a scout and scouter is Trustworthy. I don't think a decision should ever be made because something like that may happen.

I believe it has to do with qualifications...if someone has been able to achieve a certain standard i.e. running on a ambulance as an EMT or First Responder...the BSA should be able to trust them enough to be a First Aid MBC. Most people in EMS will agree, we want more people to be trained in First Aid we could never just let anyone slip through.
Matt A.
Eagle Scout
Asst. Scoutmaster
t305spl
Eagle

Postby WeeWillie » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:54 am

The Junior Leaders Handbook defines the Boy Led PORs. MBC isn't one of them, just as ASM isn't a boy leader position. Until you are 18 you don't have legal status (I know all about emancipated minors). Until you do you can't act in your own behalf.
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby t305spl » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:04 am

WeeWillie,

I don't think anyone is confusing it with a current POR that can be held by a Young Adult.

We are simply suggesting that there should be a standard or qualification needed to become a MBC, not an age. I think skill and knowledge far surpasses age.
Matt A.
Eagle Scout
Asst. Scoutmaster
t305spl
Eagle

Postby FrankJ » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:22 am

One of the few standards for MBC is age ( 18 ). T305SPL I understand that you disagree with that. In setting standards for a national program you have to draw lines some where. MBC get little enough vetting as it is.

Hubert's original point was he wants to be a MBC when he turns 18. I do not have a problem with that. I rather have some one with an interest & training teach any merit badge, not just some one doing it because it needs to be done. Although the MBC can only require the minimum standards, one the points for the merit badges is to instill interest in the subject. That can come from the MB passion for what he teaches.

If you are getting a push from parents because of age, try teaming with an older counselors in a clinic.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby jr56 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:50 pm

If you are 18 and want to be amerit badge counselor, you are to be encouraged. Good luck, go for it.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby Hubert » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:35 pm

Ya, right now I am in whats known as Skill Center, where I will work in a hospitol and get first hand experence. After I graduate, I wish to get into nursing. I just get disapointed when I get told I cant do something because of my age, even with qualifactions that far surpas some. Thats why I asked if age should be a factor, because a lot of adults around my council believe it should be, even with great qualifactions.
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby t305spl » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:45 pm

Hubert,

You are absolutely right, when it comes to training you do far surpass the qualifications of some. Your dedication to the skill has been demonstrated, and I agree age should not be an issue, especially in an organization for Youth and led by Youth.

It has annoyed me as well, but some people don't like to rethink issues, of course many do but there are some that don't. It needs to be at least discussed on the National level. Give me a better reason why I can't be a MBC other then my age and I will be happy.
Matt A.
Eagle Scout
Asst. Scoutmaster
t305spl
Eagle

Next

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required