20-Miler Hike for Hiking Merit Badge

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

20-Miler Hike for Hiking Merit Badge

Postby fritz1255 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:12 pm

Our Troop routinely does 10-milers, but we are having trouble getting the 20-miler. Ideally, the 20-miler should be over relatively level terrain on a paved surface like a road, since it needs to be done in a single day. We live a a suburbanized rural area where most of the roads are narrow with no shoulders and are heavily travelled, so that option is out because of safety concerns.

We are looking at possibly participating in the walk for a breast cancer cure, which is this October, and consists of three 20-mile walks. Unfortunately, you have to be 16 to be an offical participant, which rules out most of our boys. Hopefully we can walk along anyways, but I have no idea how that will be received. Anybody have any experience working with these people?

If that doesn't work out, anybody have any ideas for a 20-miler in the Philadelphia area?
fritz1255
Life

Postby scubascout » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:19 pm

if you go camping you can make it a long day hike
scubascout
Life

Walks

Postby riverwalk » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:02 pm

Surely with the popularity of these Walks, and the well known people involved, they might consider how you can fit in. They have event rules like we do, and other groups as well. Perhaps the local permit process can answer some questions.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby Quailman » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:51 pm

I've always wondered if you couldn't walk in circles to qualify. Eighty laps around the local high school track would get monotonous, but many local parks have loops of three to five miles. The requirement says "Take a hike of 20 continuous miles in one day following a hike plan you have prepared." If you can't work out a plan to participate in the cancer walk, you might try a multiple circuit route.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby fritz1255 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:01 pm

Yes, we've looked at doing circles within a park, but that would be a sceond choice. Would still prefer to do a single hike, preferrably a large loop. Problem with doing a 20-miler on a campout is that it takes a while to get going in the morning - everyone needs to eat breakfast and clean up. Doubtful that we would get hiking before 9:00, and you really need to start earlier than that (like by about 7:30) to do a 20-miler. Hopefully the cancer walk will work out. I'm just hoping that they don't start throwing rules at us.
fritz1255
Life

Postby joat » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:36 pm

Walking on pavement for 20 miles would be painful if not damaging, and walking around in circles is just plain boring! The whole troop doesn't need to be involved in this. Why not let the boy do his own hike when, where, and on the trail of his choice.
joat
Life

Postby Quailman » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:29 pm

Try the trails along the Delaware Canal. It's about 30 miles or so north of Philadelphia.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby Fibonacci » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:28 am

Are there any bike trails in the area? Although a loop hike is great, you can go out ten miles and back ten miles. Another option is to do 20 miles of a long route, and have parents drop off at one end & pick up at the other.

Good luck finding appropriate trails.
Fibonacci
Life

Postby Quailman » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:37 am

BTW, if you do a hike where you go out and back by the same route, you'll be surprised at the different scenery provided by the different perspective.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby Chief J » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:08 pm

Quailman wrote:Try the trails along the Delaware Canal. It's about 30 miles or so north of Philadelphia.

Great area. You could also plan a trip to Valley Forge for a weekend camping trip and schedule one there.

The rails to trails program is a great place to hike also.

Best regards,
Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:17 pm

Come out west To Ohiopyle and Hike from The pyle to Confluece and back
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby pipestone1991 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:50 pm

wagionvigil wrote:Come out west To Ohiopyle and Hike from The pyle to Confluece and back

+1

I've been to ohiopyle, very nice area. make it a long weekend kind of trip.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby Chief J » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:18 pm

wagionvigil wrote:Come out west To Ohiopyle and Hike from The pyle to Confluece and back

This a great little hike. All part of the rails to trails program

Regards,
Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby WeeWillie » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:18 am

It is Hiking MB, not Walking MB. Planning is part of the requirement. That would include getting maps, route planning, rest stops.... Your report should include how you met your original plan. All that is done for you during a walkathon.

Here is something else to ponder. One of the problems Eagle candidates have with their Leadership Service Project is that they do not know how to plan for an event, even though planning is a requirement for the specific event. Ditto for PORs. If these Scouts were actually doing the requirements instead of being spoon fed the requirements they should have the skill and experience to complete their project.
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby Chief J » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:09 am

WeeWillie wrote:It is Hiking MB, not Walking MB. Planning is part of the requirement. That would include getting maps, route planning, rest stops.... Your report should include how you met your original plan. All that is done for you during a walkathon. .

Just because the trail is established, would they still not need to do this? I miss how planning and hiking an established trail constitutes "Walking MB"

I don't mean to bash, but I miss the point I didn't see anything in this thread that said they didn't need to plan the hike, only thing offered was an established trail.

Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:35 am

I believe he was Referring to the walkathon?
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby WeeWillie » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:01 pm

Wagionvigil is correct. I was referring to using a walkathon in lieu of an actual hike. We should only be using established trails whether they be a wilderness trail such as the Arizona Trail or Rails to Trails such as the B&O. Bushwacking violates Leave No Trace. There is just as much if not more planning for a very established trail as a wilderness trail and not just the mechanics of the hike (food, water, rest stops...), but also such advancement opportunities as National Register of Historic Sites for Cit in the Nation, or American Heritage MB...

Walkathons also have their place in Scouting. If your Scouts raised pledges for a walkaton I would consider it as service hours. Walkathon Prep as part of Personal Fitness.

If locations near Chester PA are a problem, what about waiting for Summer Camp? Or pick a weekend with a full moon and do a night hike?

On a personal note. I attended PA Military College in Chester for 1 year (71-72) until it became Widener University. After that I transfered to the Green Mountains and Norwich University "The Military College of Vermont."
Mike Wilson
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby Chief J » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:00 pm

my apologies for the misinterpretation,

Best Regards,
Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby WeeWillie » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:28 am

Chief J

I wasn't offended in the 1st place.

All

What is the rush to have resort to walkathons or walking arround a track? Why not do it right? Get to bed early, wake up early, boil water for oatmeal & hot chocolate and you are on the traill by 7. In the Summer that gives you 10-12 hours to complete 20 miles.
Mike Wilson
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:29 am

The Hike I suggested is on the Yough River Trail. If you wish to make an event out of it you can go from Pittsburtgh Pa to Washington DC on this trail as it connects to the Great ALlegheny Passage and then the C&O Trail. It is a 7 to 8 day bike trip so you can figure what the Hike would be.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Next

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required