Cycling and First Aid

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Cycling and First Aid

Postby Mrw » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:43 am

My older son is now a counselor for first aid and was going over requeirements with a scout recently. He pointed out to me some shortcomings.

The first requirement deals with potential first aid needs for bikers. This list contains things like frostbite and snake bite. What is missing is first aid for the most common cycling injuries - road rash (scrapes and bruises), and then broken bones and shock.

What would be the best way to notify the folks in charge of revising merit badges that this really should be covered?
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Re: Cycling and First Aid

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:11 am

You could contact Bill Steele (National Advancement Director) or a member of his staff. This type of change could already be in process for the next iteration of the MB requirements. Sorry I don't have the number handy.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Quailman » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:14 pm

1. Show that you know first aid for injuries or illnesses that could occur while cycling, including hypothermia, heat reactions, frostbite, dehydration, insect stings, tick bites, snakebites, blisters, and hyperventilation.

I don't think it's adding to the requirement if the MB counselor interprets that to mean "including but not limited to." Personally I've never suffered any of those injuries while cycling, but I have experienced "road rash (scrapes and bruises), and then broken bones and shock", plus a concussion. While the list in the MB pamphlet should be updated, I would hope that the MB counselor would ask the scout what he thinks the most common injuries are and how to treat them.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:57 pm

Quailman...is correct but gotta watch those who would believe that you would be adding to the requirement.

There are 26 different MBs that have a requirement similar or exactly like the one listed in Cycling. Some have a few different ailments like getting a fish hook out of your hand or my favorite GOLF MB (don't get hit by a stray ball :lol: )
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required