Camping MB - 2 (LNT)

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Camping MB - 2 (LNT)

Postby alex gregory » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:40 pm

A recent question regarding where to get more information on learning where to learn more about how to teach Leave No Trace principles got me to re-think how I've been handling Camping MB requirement 2.

Then MB pamphlet and scout handbook kind of breeze right through LNT and the Outdoor Code, and the boys sort of yawn their way through the material. I've seen summer camp counselors spend perhaps 15 minutes discussing LNT, usually condense it down to "Give a hoot, don't pollute!" and then move on to the next requirement. I spend a little more time on LNT, but usually not much more than the better part of an hour.

There is actually a lot to talk about LNT, and BSA provides an excellent resource with all kinds of fun activity suggestions at

http://www.scouting.org/BoyScouts/Teach ... Trace.aspx

I plan to incorporate a lot of changes to how I handle requirement 2 from now on, even if it does take a little longer. Although I'm not sure about the full curriculum suggested at the above site since it would end up taking many hours.

At last, my question, how do most of you other brilliant Camping MBCs handle requirment 2?
alex gregory
Eagle

Re: Camping MB - 2 (LNT)

Postby 9009scoutmaster » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:56 pm

20 days and night give plenty of opponities to incorparate Leave No Trace.

Examples
On a day hike when group comes to a clearing ask would this be a possible future campsite, if so where would you put a campfire or would we use a campfire. Where would you place your tents, cook area,
Reason why we carry that candy wrapper out.
Explain why you did so & so this way

There are many chances to bring leave no trace.

Requirement 2
Learn the Leave No Trace principles and the Outdoor Code and explain what they mean. Write a personal plan for implementing these principles on your next outing..
Where is your written plan?
As a cousenlor you then go over the scout's written plan The scout has to do more than just sit there an yawn.
NO MORE NO LESS
1978 Eagle Scout
Former SM
GHL District Chattahoochee Council
SR-668
BEAVERS BUILD
9009scoutmaster
Life

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:12 pm

While I admire your desire to emphasize LNT, I agree with 9009. there are ample opportunities to complete #2 on every campout. The requirement doesn't say "complete the BSA LNT training course".
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby alex gregory » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:01 pm

smtroop168 wrote:While I admire your desire to emphasize LNT, I agree with 9009. there are ample opportunities to complete #2 on every campout. The requirement doesn't say "complete the BSA LNT training course".

Who said anything about making scouts complete the LNT training course? The approach I've used to date is pretty much what 9009 does, but I'm not sure that approach is as effective a tool to help scouts learn and implement the 7 LNT principles as the tools suggested in the LNT training course.
alex gregory
Eagle

Postby VenturingL » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:28 am

It sounds like 9009 is putting the LNT principles into practice & making the scouts think about choices - on the job training! LNT principles probably sink in better this way. As long as all the LNT principles are covered, and the scouts are involved, you're working on the LNT award requirements - sometimes training & advancement is by stealth - if you label it "Training" is sounds boring, but if you make a game out of it, it's fun. Our crew plays "LNT Jeopardy" after business meetings sometimes, to keep knowledge active - 6 of us have earned the LNT award & 2 more are close.
Merit Badge Counselor (Communication, Theater, Public Speaking)
Wood Badge Fox SR-861
VenturingL
Star

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:06 am

smtroop168 wrote:Who said anything about making scouts complete the LNT training course?

Actually you did.

alex gregory wrote:I plan to incorporate a lot of changes to how I handle requirement 2 from now on, even if it does take a little longer. Although I'm not sure about the full curriculum suggested at the above site since it would end up taking many hours.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required