First Aid Merit Badge Question

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

SHould First Aid MB Be required before all OutdoorActivity MB that have a First aid REquirement

Yes
50%
No
38%
Not Sure
13%

Total votes : 24

First Aid Merit Badge Question

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:34 am

I am doing a little poll But what i boils down to is should a scout have to have First aid MB before doing any other MB that has a First Aid Requirement?
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Re: First Aid Merit Badge Question

Postby kwildman » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:38 am

Interesting...i was on the fence until i thought about and realized that EVERY mB has a first aid requirement.

New scouts at summer camp should be able to get the leatherworking and wood carving done while doing the t21 program.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:42 am

How About Outdoor Activity MB? IE: Camping,Climbing,WIlderness Survival,Hiking,Etc.?
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:09 am

There are actually 26 MBs that have First Aid Requirements but only Emergency Prep requires First Aid MB as a requirement
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Ursus Snorous Roarus » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:50 am

"Well, back in the day...." 1st Aid was required for First Class, was a great early merit badge to take. Would really like to see that come back.
Ursus Snorous Roarus
Star

Postby kwildman » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:51 am

wagionvigil wrote:How About Outdoor Activity MB? IE: Camping,Climbing,WIlderness Survival,Hiking,Etc.?

If that were the original question I would have voted for First Aid MB. I encourage all of my scouts to take First Aid early in the process as possible. Our scouts tend to get a couple of the arts and crafts badges first because that is what they can work on after or during the T21 programs.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby FrankJ » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:01 am

I voted no. I do think the first aide merit badge should be one the first merit badges a scout earns, but if a merit badge has a first aide requirement, the councilor should cover it regardless of the scouts background.

The summer camps our troop goes to have the first aide merit badge with the first year program.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:17 am

Do the following:
Show that you know first aid for and how to prevent injuries or illnesses that could occur during climbing activities, including heat and cold reactions, dehydration, stopped breathing, sprains, abrasions, fractures, rope burns, blisters, snakebite, and insect bites or stings.
Identify the conditions that must exist before performing CPR on a person

Does not say for the counselor to show the Scout it says that the scout musy show the counselor.I do not teach first aid in climbing I will discuss ome of the injuries not how to treat them that is up to the scout. Same for Swimming and Lifesaving.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby alex gregory » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:14 pm

No. And First Aid MB should not be treated as automatically satisifying the first aid safety requirement of any MB. The point of the safety requirement for MBs is not to teach First Aid, but to make sure that a participant can demonstrate to his MBC that he can handle routine injuries associated with that activity.

Physical injury is not limited to core outdoor activities like Camping. What about activities like cycling, sports, athletics etc.? These are activities that the boys have usually been actively involved in long before they joined boy scouts, and requiring First Aid MB before Junior can apply his interest in soccer or riding a bike toward a MB is just silly.

All that said, I still am a proponent for encouraging scouts to get the First Aid MB as early as possible and disagree with leaders who suggest a scout should wait until he has completed 1st Class before working on the First Aid MB or any other MBs.
alex gregory
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:38 pm

Remember Venturing Requires The First Aid Core Requirement before many of the Outdoor Activity Core Requirements or Electives can be earned.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby VenturingL » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:32 pm

In Venturing, First Aid, Land Navigation, & Leave No Trace are all required before Wilderness Survival can be started. I think it shows the interaction of each and puts more emphasis on proficiency that way.
Merit Badge Counselor (Communication, Theater, Public Speaking)
Wood Badge Fox SR-861
VenturingL
Star

Postby VenturingL » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:35 pm

Oops, I meant Cooking, First Aid & Land navigation. But frankly, Leave No trace should be in there.
Merit Badge Counselor (Communication, Theater, Public Speaking)
Wood Badge Fox SR-861
VenturingL
Star

Postby alex gregory » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:10 pm

wagionvigil wrote:Remember Venturing Requires The First Aid Core Requirement before many of the Outdoor Activity Core Requirements or Electives can be earned.

I suspect there is a significant substantive difference between high-adVenturing and boy scOuting. Let's not kid ourselves, the Camping MB is basic camping that simpy does not involve the same level of risk factors as high-adventure.

I don't know much about Venturing (yet), does the Venturing First Aid Requirement prohibit even starting other activities? Is the Venturing First Aid Requirment more advanced than the First Aid MB?
alex gregory
Eagle

Postby alex gregory » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:18 pm

What would be the purpose of requiring First Aid MB before starting other MBs?

Qualified supervision is still required in any MB activity, and I trust that we all understand that to include sufficient folks qualified to administer appropriate first aid.
alex gregory
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:20 pm

Yes it is a A real First Aid Course and you cannot do many of the Outdoor activities until you have completed it.
You must complete the first aid core requirement before you begin this elective
This is the first statement in the Mountaineering Elective.
SInce there are 26 MB that have a First AId requirement attached to it The First Aid MB should be a requirement to start those MB's.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby FrankJ » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:15 pm

Of course you can go through venturing & never earn any elective. :) Advancement is not always a high priority in a youth run crew. And no I am not advocating allowing the crew to go off and do any high adventure activity without being prepared.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby WeeWillie » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:38 pm

I voted no. It really doesn't matter if a Scout is required to deomstrate or parctice 1st aid before or after 1st Aid MB. Practice makes perfect and if earning a MB motivates a Scout to learn or retain a 1st Aid Skill means he can actually perform the skill when needed, I don't care.

I do believe in MB prerequisites with 1st Class being the principle prerequisite for most Scout Skill MBs (Camping, Orienteering, Pioneering, Hiking...)
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby WVBeaver05 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:42 pm

I don't think it should be required.

The First Aid requirements are pretty specific to the particular MB while the First Aid MB goes beyond that.

I am more interested in making sure that First Aid is taught WELL than when.

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Postby alex gregory » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:22 pm

WVBeaver05 wrote:I am more interested in making sure that First Aid is taught WELL than when.

YiS

YAY!!!!
alex gregory
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:05 am

Actually part or all of the FA MB requirements 1,2A, 3a,b,e,f. 4b. 5 and 6a (or all most the entire badge) crosses to the Lifesaving MB requirements 13,14,15.

I know the wording is not exact but take a look at both and you can see a pretty strong corrolation.

But then again, swimmimg isn't required for lifesaving so why should 1st aid be.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Next

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required