Bandwidth Insanity

Forum for discussing ideas and needs for MeritBadge.Org (The Wiki)

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for our registered Users to be able discuss ideas and technical issues/aspects of the MeritBadge wiki. This forum is 'visible' to registered Users only.

Bandwidth Insanity

Postby optimist » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:25 pm

Despite raising the bandwidth limit on MeritBadge.org from 50 gigs to 60 gigs a month, we are still going to bust our bubble this month. As of today the site has used 16 gigs which puts us in line for a total use of 80 gigs. I'm doing what I can to get our numbers bumped again but the won't let it keep rising forever.

So how can you help? Most of the bandwidth is in PDF file usage. If you use this web site's PDFs, don't view them online. Please download them instead. If you download them, you only use that bandwidth once. If you view them online now them view them again five minutes from now then view them again in three days then view them again in two weeks, you've quadrupled your bandwidth usage. The more you view, the more you drain our resources.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter :)
optimist
Adv Chair

Re: Bandwidth Insanity

Postby scouter01 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:17 pm

Just a suggestion, I think you can host images on another site such as the big huge image uploadings sites. you could try that
scouter01
Eagle

Postby optimist » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:50 pm

Thanks for the idea. We'll consider it.
optimist
Adv Chair

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:28 pm

You all do great stuff in keeping this going.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby milominderbinder2 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:48 am

What everyone is wanting is the workbooks.

I am watching our activity just explode as people are finding out what we have added to the worksheets. Plus we offer worksheets for Webelos and Cub Scout Belt Loops now. Users are bookmarking the merit badge and workbooks pages and skipping the main page.

Thoughts...

1. We could create PDF's that can only be read using Acrobat 7.0 or higher. That saves up to 50% or more on each worksheet.

2. Link to the pdf's on usscouts or another site.

3. Crank up the bandwidth to 100 GB a month and see if it will be enough by fall.

- Craig
milominderbinder2
Eagle

Postby WVBeaver05 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:45 pm

milominderbinder2 wrote:1. We could create PDF's that can only be read using Acrobat 7.0 or higher. That saves up to 50% or more on each worksheet.

I understand the problem, but I would hold up on this as a solution. Because of resource (and consequently slow response) issues that we have seen upgrading to Acrobat 7.0 at work, I have not upgraded at home either. There are many users with many levels of hardware and 7.0 just isn't a good solution for all of them.

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Postby milominderbinder2 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:53 pm

Sorry, I meant Acrobat 6.0 saves 50%. 7.0 saves just a little more. 8.0 is negligible.

- Craig
milominderbinder2
Eagle

Postby RWSmith » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:27 pm

Craig,

What level of Adobe Reader are you saving PDFs now? I agree with your suggestion to up-convert all worksheets (as well as any other PDF files) to Adobe Reader v6.0+ compression, which is at least four years old now.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Return to MeritBadge.Org -- The Wiki (Registered Users)