Paypal donations? (Split from "Bandwidth Insanity")

Forum for discussing ideas and needs for MeritBadge.Org (The Wiki)

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for our registered Users to be able discuss ideas and technical issues/aspects of the MeritBadge wiki. This forum is 'visible' to registered Users only.

Paypal donations? (Split from "Bandwidth Insanity")

Postby kwildman » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:42 am

Have you thought about setting up a paypal account for people that would like to donate to help with operating expenses and such? Just an idea.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Re: Bandwidth Insanity

Postby milominderbinder2 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:31 pm

kwildman wrote:Have you thought about setting up a paypal account for people that would like to donate to help with operating expenses and such? Just an idea.

I second that motion. All in favor?

- Craig
milominderbinder2
Eagle

Postby scouter01 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:36 am

who pays for it now? adds?
scouter01
Eagle

Postby kwildman » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:28 am

I would rather make a donation as needed to keep advertisements of these sites...unless they are scouting related.

kevin.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby RWSmith » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:12 am

scouter01 wrote:who pays for it now? adds?

Optimist pays for it; all of it... out of his own pocket. He has stalwartly and repeatedly refused to accept monetary donations, since forever. One good reason for that is that if he doesn't like the direction something is heading, he truly has the authority to intercede and rightfully command re-direction, as he sees fit. Although he has also delegated this authority to Wavionvigil, CBallman, and myself; plus, we have several dedicated, trusted helpers; he still remains "the man".

Maybe, one day, just maybe, he'll set up a way to "collect" donations via PayPal. But, with that, comes a can of worms... Non-profit this, incorporation that... you get the picture.

However, here's a new idea... How about we set up a way to make small bandwidth donations directly to the web hosting provider... If, that is, they have a way to allow for that. Just a thought.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby milominderbinder2 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:41 am

RWSmith wrote:...How about we set up a way to make small bandwidth donations directly to the web hosting provider... If, that is, they have a way to allow for that. Just a thought.
I love that idea. We would not be paying Optimist, we would be paying for our own usage. Set up a PayPal account that we can contribute to that the service provider draws from, like a digital coin jar.

- Craig
milominderbinder2
Eagle

Postby optimist » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:15 pm

Interesting idea. Not sure how my provider will take it but I can pass it by him.

And thanks for all the ideas and support :)
optimist
Adv Chair

Postby RWSmith » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:48 pm

Optimist wrote:Interesting idea. Not sure how my provider will take it but I can pass it by him.

Any word, yet? All LaveShark needs to do is assign an email address to your account(s) and deduct whatever amount is collected... monthly, quarterly, etc.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby milominderbinder2 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:59 pm

RWSmith wrote:
Optimist wrote:Interesting idea. Not sure how my provider will take it but I can pass it by him.

Any word, yet? All LaveShark needs to do is assign an email address to your account(s) and deduct whatever amount is collected... monthly, quarterly, etc.

Please set up the address.

I noticed that last Monday the Wiki was down for a while again because we hit the bandwidth limit again. Then it was back online. Meaning another bump in bandwidth. The place is going nuts with worksheet downloads.

Please let us help.

- Craig
milominderbinder2
Eagle

Postby optimist » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:18 pm

RWSmith wrote:

LavaShark said no. I'm going to check with my Troop's Chartering Organiation and see if they'll let me use their tax ID. As long as I keep good records and funnel all of the money into either the web site or the troop it shouldn't be a problem.
optimist
Adv Chair

Return to MeritBadge.Org -- The Wiki (Registered Users)