No editor access to the wiki

Forum for discussing ideas and needs for MeritBadge.Org (The Wiki)

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for our registered Users to be able discuss ideas and technical issues/aspects of the MeritBadge wiki. This forum is 'visible' to registered Users only.

No editor access to the wiki

Postby Doug » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:52 pm

There are numerous threads here saying that the procedures for getting an account on the wiki do not work, some of them are five years old. There are no meaningful replies except some from around 2008 or 2009 about the wiki being moved (though I don't understand why one would prevent creation of new accounts during a move, you'd simply lock down the database and it doesn't appear that you've done that, not to mention it's 2013 now). I signed up on here so that I could edit the wiki (I didn't even know this forum existed until I searched for how to get a login for the wiki) but neither going there and putting in my login credentials from here nor using the instructions on here works. Why is registration prevented or why don't our credentials from here work there? Is this going to be fixed?

(edit, as I see posting a follow-up post below made this look like it had been answered, I deleted it and am reposting here)
May I suggest that a far more effective way to control editing would be to restrict editing to confirmed editors with a confirmed e-mail
Code: Select all
$wgEmailConfirmToEdit   = true;
and simply tolerate registration of junk accounts. I use the Asirra module in the ConfirmEdit extension to keep junk accounts to a minimum on wikis I sysadmin. The junk accounts do nothing, they can't even edit their own talk pages (if their names are inappropriate or conflicting, they can easily be changed, normally they are computer generated names of no consequence). I also require all new editors to not only confirm their e-mail address but to send me an e-mail confirming their identity before I add them to the group 'confirmed'. You could alternatively have a forum thread here where people post their confirmation, e.g. "I am the registered user "Doug++" on" and admins reply with "done" when they've made them confirmed. You would restrict editing to confirmed users with the following:

Code: Select all
// Prevent anonymous users from editing
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['edit'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['createpage'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['createtalk'] = false;
// Prevent registered, non-confirmed users from editing
$wgGroupPermissions['user' ]['move'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['user' ]['edit'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['user' ]['createpage'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['user' ]['createtalk'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['user' ]['upload'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['user' ]['reupload'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['user' ]['reupload-shared'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['user' ]['minoredit'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['user' ]['delete'] = false;
// Allow confirmed users to edit
$wgGroupPermissions['confirmed' ]['move'] = true; // Only add this line if you want all users to be able to move
$wgGroupPermissions['confirmed' ]['edit'] = true;
$wgGroupPermissions['confirmed' ]['createpage'] = true;
$wgGroupPermissions['confirmed' ]['createtalk'] = true;
$wgGroupPermissions['confirmed' ]['upload'] = true;
$wgGroupPermissions['confirmed' ]['minoredit'] = true;

Of course, this is just an example, you could give confirmed users more or less permission.

Re: No editor access to the wiki

Postby BartHumphries » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:02 pm

I think this is a great idea, although I don't think any user should be able to move a page (unless they can already, the wiki is down so I can't go take a look). Unlike Wikipedia, I think the potential for page renames is incredibly small -- how often is a patch, award, rank, or anything else renamed in Scouting?

Re: No editor access to the wiki

Postby Doug » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:24 pm

Sure, that was just an example taken from another wiki and a rather experimental one at that, everything needs to be customized for this wiki. Most moves on a specialized wiki like can be handled as well, if not better, with redirects.

Return to MeritBadge.Org -- The Wiki (Registered Users)