Who can sign off

Forum for discussing ideas and needs for MeritBadge.Org (The Wiki)

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for our registered Users to be able discuss ideas and technical issues/aspects of the MeritBadge wiki. This forum is 'visible' to registered Users only.

Who can sign off

Postby Leighann Trevillian » Sun May 18, 2014 3:36 pm

I have a question about who can be accepted to sign off that a scout has done the work for a badge. My son is presently working on his 'reading' badge. His scout leader said his school teacher can sign off that he has done some of the requirements in class. The kicker is this, he is homeschooled, I, the parent, am the teacher. Am I given the same considerstions and honor system as a public payed teacher or not?
Leighann Trevillian
Scout

Re: Who can sign off

Postby PaulSWolf » Sun May 18, 2014 5:18 pm

Is your son a CUB Scout, working on the "Reading and Writing" Academics Belt Loop and/or Pin, or a BOY Scout, working on the Reading Merit Badge?

If he's a CUB Scout, then you can approve the work he's done.

If he's a BOY Scout, then the only person that can "sign off" on work toward the badge is his registered merit badge counselor. If that's the case, and when you said "His scout leader said his school teacher can sign off that he has done some of the requirements in class" you were referring to his merit badge counselor, then since you are his teacher, you can provide that verification.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Return to MeritBadge.Org -- The Wiki (Registered Users)