Workbook Links Broken

Forum for discussing ideas and needs for MeritBadge.Org (The Wiki)

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for our registered Users to be able discuss ideas and technical issues/aspects of the MeritBadge wiki. This forum is 'visible' to registered Users only.

Workbook Links Broken

Postby agdparker » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:13 pm

It looks like all of the links for the MB worksheets are currently broken. I tried both the PDF and DOC links, but no luck. I originally tried Personal Fitness, but multiple other MB's are not working either. Haven't found any that are working today, actually.
agdparker
Star

Re: Workbook Links Broken

Postby hppynlife » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:47 pm

Apparently they are still down...I haven't been able to access any for the past two days as well.
hppynlife
Scout

Postby agdparker » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:16 pm

I sent Paul an email, but I haven't got a response yet.
agdparker
Star

Postby Quailman » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:18 pm

I tried Personal Management and it worked. Personal Fitness does not. But Camping and Family Life work. :?:
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby agdparker » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:56 pm

Quailman wrote:I tried Personal Management and it worked. Personal Fitness does not. But Camping and Family Life work. :?:
Are we talking about the same place: http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Me ... Worksheets

Hovering over the links for the PDFs and DOCXs show they all point towards USScouts.org. I couldn't get any of the ones you list to work from the above link.
agdparker
Star

Postby Quailman » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:14 pm

I went to the wiki page for each badge.

The server that hosts USScouts.org has been down since Friday.

Try looking up the page for each badge. There are two links, one near the top and one near the bottom. Both seemed to work, except for Personal Fitness. IIRC, they pointed to the wiki.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby PaulSWolf » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:47 am

As some have noted, the USScouts.org web site is off line, and has been since Friday, August 15, 2014, due to numerous delays by the hosting firm on responding to our need to relocate and upgrade our servers. Hence any links to the workbooks on that server will not work. We are working hard to get the site restored, but at this point have no clear indication on when that will happen. The outage also affected the Scouts-L email list and Scouts-L.com server. We have gotten that list back on line using a temporary address.

As for the workbooks, there are links to copies of the pdf versions on the meritbadge.org wiki site, which should work just fine. To access those copies, just click on the link at the top of the wiki page for the merit badge in question.

Using American Business MB as an example:

Starting with this page: http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Merit_Badges, and clicking on the link to American Business MB, you get this page: http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/American_Business

The first line on that page after the Title reads:
" Resources include the American Business merit badge worksheet, links, and cross-references to related badges and awards." Clicking on the highlighted text will open the workbook stored at http://meritbadge.org/wiki/images/7/70/ ... siness.pdf.

So links on meritbadge.org which are in the form " http://meritbadge.org/wiki/images/nn/nn ... e_name.pdf. should work fine, while links in the form: "http://usscouts.org/mb/workbooks/merit-badge-name.pdf" will not work until we can get usscouts.org back on line.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby Quailman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:12 am

Paul - The Personal Fitness one on the wiki isn't working.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby PaulSWolf » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:38 am

Thanks.

I just uploaded a good copy from my home backup files, and then checked by downloading from the link, and it should work now.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby PaulSWolf » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:27 pm

Earlier, I wrote:
PaulSWolf wrote:As some have noted, the USScouts.org web site is off line, and has been since Friday, August 15, 2014, due to numerous delays by the hosting firm on responding to our need to relocate and upgrade our servers. Hence any links to the workbooks on that server will not work. We are working hard to get the site restored, but at this point have no clear indication on when that will happen. The outage also affected the Scouts-L email list and Scouts-L.com server. We have gotten that list back on line using a temporary address.

I am happy to report that we were able to get the USSCOUTS.org web site back on line earlier today (August 26th). MOST, but not all of that site is working, but not our e-mail system nor our discussion board. Most of the other sites we operate are still being restored, and should come back on line in the next few days. Links to the various workbooks on usscouts.org should be working fine now.

If you have any questions or comments, see our posts on Facebook, or contact me using this address: paul.s.wolf@alum.wpi.edu. For now, do not use my pwolf@usscouts.org address, since, as I noted above, that mail system is not working yet.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby agdparker » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:53 am

Paul, thanks for your response. We had a merit badge event this past weekend, so as the organizer I was getting calls and emails about the worksheets not being available. I sent out the instructions to get them from the alternate site and that worked. I really appreciate your help!
agdparker
Star

Return to MeritBadge.Org -- The Wiki (Registered Users)