district required registration

This is to be used when something does not fit in any of the Other Forums

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:00 am

ALso Troop Counselors allow for more chance of adding to the requirements. Actually heaqrd an SM say by using only YTroop ounselors they are sure the Boys are doing it the way "they" want!
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby fritz1255 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:46 am

People do the "Troop Only" option for the same reason they join the "do not call list" for telemarketers. You don't show up on the general Council list, and don't get calls. You can do badges when and where you want to, and don't have to give excuses when you are too busy or someone wants you to drive 50 miles each way to teach a class. If that sounds selfish, I'm sorry, but this is after all volunteer work, and I think most "Troop Only" counselors are likely to drop out entirely rather than be on a Council-wide list.
fritz1255
Life

Postby evmori » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:47 am

fritz1255 wrote:People do the "Troop Only" option for the same reason they join the "do not call list" for telemarketers. You don't show up on the general Council list, and don't get calls. You can do badges when and where you want to, and don't have to give excuses when you are too busy or someone wants you to drive 50 miles each way to teach a class. If that sounds selfish, I'm sorry, but this is after all volunteer work, and I think most "Troop Only" counselors are likely to drop out entirely rather than be on a Council-wide list.

I have always felt if you are going to sign up as a merit badge counselor you should be willing to counsel any Scout in any unit. I have been a MB counselor for over 20 years and have only gotten a handful of calls. Never turned one down. And yes it is selfish to be a "Troop Only" counselor.

Yeah wagon, you re correct when you state
Also Troop Counselors allow for more chance of adding to the requirements. Actually heard an SM say by using only Troop counselors they are sure the Boys are doing it the way "they" want!

The Troop Only option should be eliminated.
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby scoutaholic » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:23 pm

Our council doesn't have a MBC list. Our district does, but it is very out-of-date, and completely optional. I don't know if I am on the district list.

I'm not unwilling to work with boys outside my troop, I'm just not sure if they would know how to find me. I've taught at MB events and Scout-O-Rama etc. but I've never had a request outside of those to teach a badge.

There are remote corners of the council that are 50+ miles from my home, and I'd be happy to teach a boy from there, but I'm sure he and his parents would not expect me to make the long drive there. More likely they would bring the boy into town and meet at my home or some other spot nearer to me.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby evmori » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:42 pm

Not willing to work with boys outside your Troop but you have taught MB's at MB Events & Scout-O Rama's? I'm befuddled!
Ed Mori
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby pipestone1991 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:02 pm

evmori wrote:
The Troop Only option should be eliminated.

We might as well eliminate merit badge councilers then. Unlike some of the scouters on this forum, many scouters who utilize the "troop-only" option do so because they are way to busy. Like it or not, it's fact, the BSA is mainly (with the exception of our relatively small workforce) run by the VOLUNTEER scouters. We should be grateful for what time they can provide.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby scoutaholic » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:44 am

...I'm not unwilling to work with boys outside my troop...

evmori wrote:Not willing to work with boys outside your Troop but you have taught MB's at MB Events & Scout-O Rama's? I'm befuddled!

Ed, If you look more closely at what I wrote you may be a bit less befuddled.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:20 pm

I know the rules about MBCs but anyone have the experience of being able to bring in an expert in their field to cover a badge for a troop or at a merit badge college? Should they be able to be a counselor-for-a-day without going through the registration, YPT, background check etc? Two examples, a local District judge to do Law MB and a well known cinematography college professor for that badge.

Opinions????

Thanks.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby evmori » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:28 am

smtroop168 wrote:I know the rules about MBCs but anyone have the experience of being able to bring in an expert in their field to cover a badge for a troop or at a merit badge college? Should they be able to be a counselor-for-a-day without going through the registration, YPT, background check etc? Two examples, a local District judge to do Law MB and a well known cinematography college professor for that badge.

Opinions????

Thanks.

A MB counselor can bring in a "pro" anytime they want to talk to Scouts about their profession. The deal is the Scouts are the ones who are to complete the badge, not the counselor. A MB counselor can suggest people for the Scout to contact to fulfill some of the requirement for the MB but it is ultimately up to the Scout to actually do them.
Ed Mori
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:37 am

If you have not noticed this is how Venruring does it. ou are to bring in Expert COnsultants for the instruction in the Ellectives and requied areas for the Ranger Award
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:51 am

But who "signs" the blue card. The expert or a MBC. What if no MBC is available? Not trying to get around the rules but I have a couple of folks that have shown interest in helping but they don't want to be full time MBCs.

Pardon my ignorance on Ventures but do they have the same requirements to have BSA registered, YPT trained counselors for their advancement?
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:56 am

They really do not have counselors. The Expert Consultats can be anyone with advanced knowledge in the subject and it is always done as a group never individual like BSA is.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Quailman » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:25 am

You always need a registered MB Counselor to sign the blue cards. Two weeks ago my son attended a radio MB program. The counselor was his former Cubmaster, who two years ago got a radio license and learned plenty enough to be a MBC. He got five members of the local ham radio club, all of whom had much more experience than he does, to present the whole program. He even had to leave for most of the time to attend a family emergency (there were still three BSA/YPT adults in attendance). The experts finished up and began reviewing individuals worksheets (the boys had to do some things on paper) and prolonged it until the MBC could return to sign blue cards. You always need the BSA-registered MB Counselor to sign off.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby evmori » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:06 am

Quailman is correct! A registered MB counselor for the MB is required. If the expert isn't a registered MB counselor for the MB, they can't sign anything except a note stating the Scout completed requirement XX for the MB.
Ed Mori
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:08 am

Thanks for the feedback. I know the rules, was looking for how others might have handled the same situation.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby milominderbinder2 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:52 pm

Yes, everyone in Scouting needs to be registered for each position they have.

No, a counselor does not have to travel to meet a Scout. He has every right to have the Scout meet with him. Just make sure wherever you meet you follow Youth Protection.

The Advancement Policies #33088 has details on this and dozens of other topics.

- Craig
milominderbinder2
Eagle

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:31 pm

fritz1255 wrote:People do the "Troop Only" option for the same reason they join the "do not call list" for telemarketers. You don't show up on the general Council list, and don't get calls. You can do badges when and where you want to, and don't have to give excuses when you are too busy or someone wants you to drive 50 miles each way to teach a class. If that sounds selfish, I'm sorry, but this is after all volunteer work, and I think most "Troop Only" counselors are likely to drop out entirely rather than be on a Council-wide list.

That's the crux -- these are VOLUNTEERS. Any help they offer is gratefully appreciated! If that means giving up your time and expertise to only 15 boys, great! That's 15 boys who otherwise wouldn't have that benefit.

I say, "Thank you!" to those who volunteer their time, no matter how large or small the circle they serve. Those who have the time to serve a greater number, fantastic. It doesn't take away the gratitude for those who can't.

The more restrictions you put on volunteers, the fewer you will have.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Re: district required registration

Postby Cowboy » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:08 pm

I register as for my Troop only. The SM's from other Troops are more than welcome to contact me and ask me to work with their boys, but I would just as soon that the boys do not contact me from a list. One of the MB's that I council is Woodworking. I use my own shop and my own tools. I have invested thousands of dollars in this equipment. I prefer to only work with boys that I know. There are some of the boys in my own Troop that I will not council on this MB because I do not feel comfortable with them around power tools. Sorry folks, but YPT is not and should not be considered a one way street. I have to protect myself also. I do serve as a MB councilor at MB Clinics, and in that way I serve more than just my Troop, but just because a boy is in Scouts does not mean that I have to work with them. I am volunteering to help.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:45 pm

It is always within your purview to tell a scout you are unable to be a MBC with him but try to offer some alternatives like getting to know other MBCs who do the same badges you do and pass their names to him.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Bill Pitcher » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:14 am

Same here in the Rip Van Winkle Council. Merit Badge Councilors are NOT allowed to sign up for a single unit. You sign on for the whole council and are in the council's MB Councilor list that is sent to every unit, regardless of which district you're in.
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

PreviousNext

Return to General Advancement Information