district required registration

This is to be used when something does not fit in any of the Other Forums

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: district required registration

Postby FrankJ » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:06 am

Pardon my ignorance on Ventures but do they have the same requirements to have BSA registered, YPT trained counselors for their advancement?

If ventures are working on merit badges then they have to use registered merit badge councilors. For venturing requirements it is what the ventures & the crew adviser agrees on.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby ThunderingWind » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:39 pm

FrankJ wrote:If ventures are working on merit badges then they have to use registered merit badge councilors. For venturing requirements it is what the ventures & the crew adviser agrees on.

That being said, the consultants must meet the BSA standards as listed in the Venturer handbook and teach the the required curriculum.
All firearms training must NRA, NMLA, NSSA, NSCA or ATA. Same for SCUBA, Archery, and First Aid.

It would not surpise me to see National BSA move to have Consultants register just as MBCs do for Troops.

I know several Councils are moving to clean up the MBC lists and enforce the registration process to include documentation of experience and qualifications for each MB they want to counsel. Several are even making sure the document goes before the Council Advancement Committee (or who ever is in charge of approving MBCs).

My council is even now sending out letters of approval and "Membership Cards."

But back to the main point of the thread....I wonder why the Council wants to put another layer of bureacracy in the mix by registering with the District. The current MBC Registration form only states Council or Unit with no option for District level.

Though this would help in the very large Councils where there can be 3 hours drive time between farthest units. It would be sensible to allow an MBC to state "I will only drive to these units to teach."
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby RWSmith » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:42 am

All,

Just FYI, here's a quote from the Merit Badge Counselor Instructors Guide... "A merit badge counselor may limit his or her services to one unit but still must be approved by the [district/]council advancement committee."

Even so, all MBCs must (re-)register, annually.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Advancement Information