Merit Badge event ?

This is to be used when something does not fit in any of the Other Forums

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: Merit Badge event ?

Postby mhjacobson » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:32 am

Remember that the quality of the source of MB counseling can be easily controlled by the unit through the fact that it is the SM who makes the recommendation of whom the counselor should be.
50 year+ scouter -- have held almost all adult leader positions in Cubs, Scouts, & Venturing, currently serving as Council Scouting for Youth with Disabilities Chair.
mhjacobson
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:09 pm

My 2010 MB college is in the books. 300 scouts and 14 MBs offered over 2 saturdays. 2011 events is already scheduled for Jan 8 and Feb 5 2011. This will be year 8. Without asking I already have counselors committed for 10 MBs.

I do plan on offering the 2010 Historic MBs as they willl hopefully be official by then. :P
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby ThunderingWind » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:38 pm

smtroop168 wrote:I do plan on offering the 2010 Historic MBs as they willl hopefully be official by then. :P

I would almost bet $20 that National will find some way to approve the MBs (finally) but only allow it from the "date of approval"
until 31 Dec 2010.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby PaulSWolf » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:44 pm

Maybe they'll extend the deadline to 2/8/2011 or 2/28/2011 ?
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:29 pm

PaulSWolf wrote:Maybe they'll extend the deadline to 2/8/2011 or 2/28/2011 ?

Paul...what do your spies tell you the status of these badges is?
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby PaulSWolf » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:57 pm

Nothing new since the 2/23 message I posted.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby kwildman » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:45 pm

mhjacobson wrote:Remember that the quality of the source of MB counseling can be easily controlled by the unit through the fact that it is the SM who makes the recommendation of whom the counselor should be.

That can be dicey if your not supporting a district or council event.

I have been pleasantly surprised with the quality of most clinics we have attended. They send out the pre-reqs and they need to be completed or you only get a partial. I think most people that organize these things are trying to do the right thing for the kids.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:50 pm

PaulSWolf wrote:Nothing new since the 2/23 message I posted.

That's sad that they haven't worked to get it done....but those pesky volunteers will get you every time!
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby PaulSWolf » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:40 pm

PaulSWolf wrote:Nothing new since the 2/23 message I posted.
After I wrote that earlier today, I followed up with my contact with this note:
I know you're working to get the badges available. Thanks for the note you sent a couple of weeks ago.

Due to the delay in implementation, has any thought been given to changing the program deadline for completion of the badges from December 31, 2010, to, say, February 8, 2011 (or 2/28/11) to coincide with the end of the actual centennial, rather than the end of the calendar year?

As I'm sure you're aware, BSA has taken quite a but of flak online for the delays. Extending the deadline may be a way to divert some of the criticism.
I got this reply:
Hopefully any day now. Several people have suggested the extension so will have to consider
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:21 am

Thanks, Paul. Frankly, if they release it in March, there should be no need for the extension.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby deweylure » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:13 pm

I have been a MBC at MB University for our council. Scouts, are instructed weeks in advance about pre- requisites, in order to complete the badge. The number of scouts were limited per session. Some badges required 1 session and others 2. Scouts were thus limited on the number they could earn.
Lunch was served.

I personally had 2 scouts complete the badge and the others had partials. At the MB University it is important that no free rides are given as it would dis credit this type of format.

The greatest joy was, scouts saying thank you even if they did not finish the badge and their comments about learning a lot and having a good time doing it. Each scout was given my pre printed contact information so the badge could be finished later on.

Dewey
deweylure
Eagle

Postby kc9901mom » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:46 pm

Is it permissible at an MB Event to give each Scout a written or oral exam before signing blue cards?

Is it permissible to send (via email) or print a document with "discussion" notes (i.e. what requirements were discussed in class and what was said) from an MB Event?
For example, an MB Event that was conducted on a Troop camping trip or Summer Camp.

Last year was my first experience as an MBC and at our MB Event. My class was added at the last minute. I wasn't given any training specific to my class as far as how to handle requirements with options. The MB I chose had 4 options. I had a really bad experience. Our MB Event had two sessions with a month between the sessions. I covered some of the requirements in both sessions and I assigned Homework at the 1st session. I told the MB Organizer that the Scouts needed to read the MB Pamphlet prior to class (at a minimum, read the requirements and choose an option to complete before coming to class) . In short, none of the Scouts in my MB class earned the MB (and they were upset). The conclusion that I made was that the Scouts "blew" off my class. So, I decided that this year is going to be different. My class or classes will not be added at the last minute. I have asked our MB Organizer to specifically publish which requirements are pre-requs and homework and I asked the MB Organizer to print a "disclaimer" that states any Scout who has not read the MB Pamphlet prior to Session 1 may be dismissed from the MB class at the Instructor's discretion.

I discussed my experience with the MB Organizer and I was told that some Scouts don't "blow" off MB classes that they have other activities outside of Scouting and they have other MB classes. I think this is an excuse. A Scout should know how many MB classes he can handle especially if the pre-requs and homework are published in advance of the Event. In my case, since my class was added at the last minute I only assigned two requirements as homework. I told all of the Scouts that they needed to get the MB Pamphlet and read it before the next session and none of them did. None of them did the homework and so none of them got a blue card.
kc9901mom
Star

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:38 pm

kc9901mom wrote:Is it permissible at an MB Event to give each Scout a written or oral exam before signing blue cards? As long as you are not adding to the requirements. If a requirement is "discuss", then you are giving an oral exam. If the requirement is to write something, same logic applies. I would not give a Big Final exam.

Is it permissible to send (via email) or print a document with "discussion" notes (i.e. what requirements were discussed in class and what was said) from an MB Event? Sure.

I told all of the Scouts that they needed to get the MB Pamphlet and read it before the next session and none of them did. None of them did the homework and so none of them got a blue card. Exactly. Let me guess, the Helicopter parents were all over you for not signing Johnny off just for sitting there.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Quailman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:57 pm

Stick to your guns. You cheapen the program when you award merit badges to scout who did not earn them.

Did you say in the last paragraph that you did not give blue cards to boys who missed two requirements? Usually the MBC fills in the grid on the back with the ones they did complete. They can come back later and finish it off. There are some MBCs who do not award partials, though.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby deweylure » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:14 am

I am a MB counselor and have done the MB Academy put on by the council. I think it is a good activity . I do not give passes and the scouts are told about pre requisites before the scheduled days. If they did not do it ,they do not pass. It is up to us the counselors. No added or subtracted requirements . In past events I had a low of 3-5 scouts earning the badge . Others came back to complete it .

Scouts are required to demonstrate,discuss ,or write requirements as stated. This is the key fact .

Dewey lure
deweylure
Eagle

Postby kc9901mom » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:33 pm

Actually, I did not have parents or SMs confront me about anything. I did give partials.

I was wondering about the "testing" for MB events since each Scout must be "tested individually". I would only test over those requirements that are Explain, Define, Tell, Discuss (if they are "testable"). My plan is to give an open "pamphlet"/open note "exam/quiz" with mostly true/false questions at the last Session. I am even thinking about maybe giving the same "exam/quiz" at the first session just to see what the Scouts know in a group setting. My reasoning behind giving the quiz at the first Session is so that I know who has read the pamphlet and/or started working on requirements and also what requirements the Scouts need the most help with in general. I know that there will be some Scouts that have "special needs" and I would provide appropriate accommodations in those cases in a discreet manner.

What are some thoughts on dismissing Scouts from class (at an MB event) who is not prepared (i.e. has not read the MB pamphlet, has not started work on the MB prior to Session 1, and isn't paying attention)?
kc9901mom
Star

Postby Quailman » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:47 pm

What are some thoughts on dismissing Scouts from class (at an MB event) who is not prepared (i.e. has not read the MB pamphlet, has not started work on the MB prior to Session 1, and isn't paying attention)?

If you want to do the second (dismiss him if he hasn't started), you should include that in the prerequisites. It sounds a bit harsh, if there's work he can complete there. I just tell the boys up front that we won't have time for you to complete that, so you won't be going home with a signed blue card.

Some kids read the MB pamphlet and retain nothing. Others read it and could teach the subject. Since you're likely to have some of the former in with those who didn't read it, I think I'd let them stay, especially if they did the prework.

Try to tell the kid who's not paying attention right away that he needs to focus or no blue card. If he's not disruptive, I'd likely keep him because he may not have a ride. He might be wandering the halls if you kicked him out.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:30 pm

kc9901mom wrote:What are some thoughts on dismissing Scouts from class (at an MB event) who is not prepared (i.e. has not read the MB pamphlet, has not started work on the MB prior to Session 1, and isn't paying attention)?

We give this discretion to the MBCs at the Merit Badge College I run. This is listed on the event info when they registers. Most MBCs do not exercise it unless they become disruptive. They give them their blank BC back and let the unit deal with it when he turns it in.

Here's an excerpt:

Merit Badge College is not a program that guarantees advancement, nor is it a ‘merit badge factory.’ Unfortunately there have been parents who believe that just by attending, that their son should get the MB. It is an opportunity for Scouts to meet with qualified counselors who help them earn the merit badges they need for advancement. Please be aware that a Scout may not fully complete the requirements for a merit badge at the college. It is the Merit Badge Counselor, however, who determines, finally, whether or not the boy has satisfactorily completed the requirements for a merit badge.

The Merit Badge College will use the latest requirements as specified in the official BSA publications for all merit badges. A current merit badge pamphlet is required for this event. If Scouts do not have their prerequisites completed and their book or have not read it, they will not complete the badge. No exceptions. Prerequisites and counselor contact information are posted on web site.

Scouts are required to have their Scoutmaster approval to take any merit badge so all scouts need to discuss their choices with their Scoutmasters prior to registration. Scouts must have signed blue cards when attending their January Class. Unit Leaders are responsible for providing the cards.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby cdwscout » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:34 pm

The guys who really want to earn merit badges are going to like being "challenged" for a change. The others don't (usually) care. It's perfectly fine to assign homework/prerequisites, but make sure to make it clear what's required.
Yours in scOUTING,
Cdwscout
cdwscout
Star

Postby scoutaholic » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:17 am

When teaching in a group setting, like these events, I am careful to indicate my expectations up-front, so they know what I expect.

This is not a class for the chair-warming merit badge, nor for texting MB, iPod MB, side-conversations MB, or nose-picking MB.

If you don't do as the requirements specify, you won't get a signed blue card. If you don't participate in discussion, attend class sessions, do homework, etc., you won't get a signed blue card.

If you choose not to write anything down in the provided worksheets, that is fine. However, it is faster and easier when we meet individually to sign-off, if I don't have to ask you every question and wait for you to formulate your answers. (My experience is that those who don't write anything don't usually know the answers when I ask.)
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

PreviousNext

Return to General Advancement Information