MB Counselors - "Approved by your Scoutmaster"

This is to be used when something does not fit in any of the Other Forums

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: MB Counselors - "Approved by your Scoutmaster"

Postby WeeWillie » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:07 pm

SMTROOP168

Cap Lock Off

It is my experience that cheating is not Scout initiated. It was always a parent. Once I gave a parent the option of having his son resubmit the "completed" work or find another troop. The Scout didn't want to be a Scout in the first place and could care less. As an aside, dad was a Trained ASM and Eagle to boot!
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:00 pm

WeeWillie wrote:SMTROOP168

Cap Lock Off

It is my experience that cheating is not Scout initiated. It was always a parent. Once I gave a parent the option of having his son resubmit the "completed" work or find another troop. The Scout didn't want to be a Scout in the first place and could care less. As an aside, dad was a Trained ASM and Eagle to boot!

:)

Obviously the scout's parents missed the Value and Ethics part of the program. I had one too. "Why do they have to do the requirements as stated, what they did was close enough."

We see the boys 1-1.5 hours a week, what happens the rest of the time sometimes is sad.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby WeeWillie » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:20 pm

The ASM in question wanted his son to make Eagle before he was 13.

Another parent wanted her son to make Eagle before HS so he could move on to bigger and better things.

Another wanted me to approve Swimming MB because his son was on the swim team.

Did you know that the Personal Fitness PT test and program was for fat kids and not kids who are in sports? I looked it up in the MBP and couldn't find the exemption.
Mike Wilson
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:44 pm

WeeWillie wrote:The ASM in question wanted his son to make Eagle before he was 13.

Another parent wanted her son to make Eagle before HS so he could move on to bigger and better things.

Did you know that the Personal Fitness PT test and program was for fat kids and not kids who are in sports? I looked it up in the MBP and couldn't find the exemption.

What about fat kids who are in sports? :?
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby RMM » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:23 pm

smtroop168 wrote:
WeeWillie wrote:The ASM in question wanted his son to make Eagle before he was 13.

What about fat kids who are in sports? :?

I loved coaching big kids in sports. They have so much enthusiasm and give 100 percent. I would rather have a bunch of big kids who want to play and have fun vs an "athlete" with a poor attitude - who thinks his ^$%^& does not stink
Robert M.
Woodbadge WE3-47-07
OA Brotherhood

I was reminded that there are 4 things you can not recover:
"The stone after the throw, the word after is's said, the occasion after the loss, the time after it's gone."
RMM
Star

Postby lambeausam » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:22 pm

RMM wrote: I loved coaching big kids in sports. They have so much enthusiasm and give 100 percent. I would rather have a bunch of big kids who want to play and have fun vs an "athlete" with a poor attitude - who thinks his ^$%^& does not stink

Nothing like seeing a huge grin on a face squished into a football helmet!
lambeausam
Life

Postby ThunderingWind » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:37 pm

WeeWillie wrote:Did you know that the Personal Fitness PT test and program was for fat kids and not kids who are in sports? I looked it up in the MBP and couldn't find the exemption.

On a parallel train of thought.....many schools are now waiving the PE requirement if you are on a school team or are in marching band.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby WeeWillie » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:01 pm

I would rather have a boy in an activity that he enjoys than one Mom or Dad picked because it looks good on a job or college application. I was a SM for 8 years and as I think back every "problem Scout" was a boy who really didn't want to be in Scouts or whose interests changed as he grew older. It isn't fair to the Scout and it isn't fair to the troop/SM.

JROTC is another PE alternative.
Mike Wilson
WeeWillie
Eagle

Previous

Return to General Advancement Information