Eagle BOR via Skype

This is to be used when something does not fit in any of the Other Forums

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Eagle BOR via Skype

Postby RMM » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:06 pm

We have a Scout who had finished his project and needed to complete two Eagle Required Merit Badges in a local troop who due to family issues had to move rather suddenly. He finished up his two partials over the past few months (Communications and Citizenship in the Community). He wanted to earn Eagle in the Troop he started so the Troop worked with the Scout to make it happen. The other major hurdles of a POR and the six months had already been accomplished before the scout moved.

Last night, the Scout had an Eagle BOR using Skype. The EBOR determined that the Scout had earned Eagle and demonstrated he lives the Scout Oath and Law. While the Scout was on Skype the SM introduced the Scout to the EBOR , the parents also introduced the Scout and then left the room. The SM left the room where the EBOR was and waited in another room. During the EBOR, laughter could be heard from the room. About 40 minutes later the EBOR called the SM back into the room and presented the Troops newest Eagle Scout.

One of the EBOR members (there were four) stated he felt this was a good tool and was very comfortable using it for EBORs and we were probably using a tool that would be common in the near future when extenuating circumstances prevented Scouts from being at the EBOR in person (e.g. Scout turns in Eagle Packet two days before going to college).

Overall a good experience for the Scout and the EBOR.
Robert M.
Woodbadge WE3-47-07
OA Brotherhood

I was reminded that there are 4 things you can not recover:
"The stone after the throw, the word after is's said, the occasion after the loss, the time after it's gone."
RMM
Star

Re: Eagle BOR via Skype

Postby FrankJ » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:28 pm

We had one scout have his EBOR by a phone conference. He was sent off to boarding school & it was the only practical option.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby razor_strop » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:55 pm

Congrats on those leaders for finding a way to help the Scout achieve what he wanted! With so many video-capable comm systems available (e.g., Skype, MSN/Yahoo video chat, AT&T meeting services), its good to see Scouts and, more importantly, leaders open-minded enough to leverage them to their benefit.
razor_strop
Life

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:01 pm

FrankJ wrote:We had one scout have his EBOR by a phone conference. He was sent off to boarding school & it was the only practical option.

We had one sent off to another kind of boarding school...Marine Corps Boot Camp!!! 8)

These are great but they add ammo to those who believe the EBOR should also be completed by 18.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby FrankJ » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:33 pm

Thinking about it a little bit... Requiring the EBOR to be completed prior to 18 would create more pressure for phone in EBORs since there would be a hard deadline. It would also create a way for the committee to derail an "unworthy" candidate by delaying the EBOR. A phone BOR should only be done when there are no other options.

I really like the current system, a clear deadline for things the scout is in control of & a reasonable time after for processing paper work & scheduling the EBOR.
Frank J.
Owl-2 WB 92-49
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:00 pm

Whatever you set as the deadline there will be those who will want to get an exemption. The BSA approved a EBOR extension request for a scout who just didn't get around to filling out his application until a year after he turned 18 because his leaders never "told him to".

The new (There I go again) book has tightened up what will qualify as a valid extension request. It will be interesting when the 1st request hits their desk on the new rules.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby FrankJ » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:33 am

Whatever you set as the deadline there will be those who will want to get an exemption. The BSA approved a EBOR extension request for a scout who just didn't get around to filling out his application until a year after he turned 18 because his leaders never "told him to".

That is true. I do not see it as a good argument for changing the current deadlines though. Your 19 year old scout had to get national approval because he missed the 18 & 3 mo for local approval for the EBOR. Why national approved his request is a different subject. So are you wondering if national will follow its own rules when they take effect? :)
Frank J.
Owl-2 WB 92-49
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:58 am

FrankJ wrote:

That is true. I do not see it as a good argument for changing the current deadlines though. Your 19 year old scout had to get national approval because he missed the 18 & 3 mo for local approval for the EBOR. Why national approved his request is a different subject. So are you wondering if national will follow its own rules when they take effect? :)

:roll:
The current deadlines are not changing in the new (Man I did it again) book. There is a 4 page section on Extension requests and procedures though.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Return to General Advancement Information