Star & Life... mini-Eagle Projects

This is to be used when something does not fit in any of the Other Forums

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Star & Life... mini-Eagle Projects

Postby viltwo » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:17 pm

We are having more of a problem in that the Scoutmaster and the Charter rep have decided that the requirement of service be "a mini-Eagle Project" that should prepare the Scout. The Scout may need to fund raise if necessary, develop and complete this "mini-Eagle project". We have Scouts stuck in their rank advancement simply because they do not or are not ready to do a mini-Eagle project. "This is what is done in our Troop because that was what was done when my son went through when they wanted to advance". I been a Scoutmaster, Committee member, Merit Badge Counselor and have served for many years on other Troops & Crews. We all previously looked as the requirement as an opportunity for a Scout to expand their exposure to other charity events or projects. By letting a Scout volunteer his time at a local dog shelter it gave that Scout a change to experience other opportunities in their life. You never know it might encourage that Scout to be the next local vet serving his community. We should encourange a Scout to look at opportunities to give of their time and effort as much as possible. That helps the Scout to soar along the path to Eagle. When you require a Scout to do a Mini-Eagle project you are reading too much into the requirements set forth by Scouting and you limit a Scout's potential to grow. What do you think?

========

Admin note: Split from Service Projects
Last edited by RWSmith on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: I split this off because I felt it might grow legs.
viltwo
Scout

Re: Service Projects

Postby Quailman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:38 pm

There are other threads (I think) in which this has been discussed, perhaps they are even older than this thread.

The answer is clear. They are adding to the requirements by making First Class and Star Scouts plan and carry out projects. Like you said, service at a dog shelter should qualify, as should service performed in assisting an Eagle candidate with his service project.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Re: Service Projects

Postby PaulSWolf » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:27 pm

This issue is also being discussed heavily on Scouts-L today. The general consensus is that this SM needs to be replaced if he doesn't change his ules.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Re: Star & Life... mini-Eagle Projects

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:19 pm

One of the keys I saw here was the Charter Rep seems to agree with the SM.

Basically this is an adding to the requirements to "take part in service projects" not lead.

If the service was for Dad's business, I probably wouldn't give my SM "approval".

The rules allow a scout to request a SMC and BOR when he believes he has completed all the requirements and a Scout cannot be denied this opportunity. If the BOR turns him down then Adverse decisions for Star and Life ranks can be appealed to the local council. Call your DAC and have them visit the SM/COR.

What the SM/COR should use for EP preps is the Cit in Comm requirement

7.Do the following:
a.Choose a charitable organization outside of Scouting that interests you and brings people in your community together to work for the good of your community.
b.Using a variety of resources (including newspapers, fliers and other literature, the Internet, volunteers, and employees of the organization), find out more about this organization.
c.With your counselor's and your parent's approval, contact the organization and find out what young people can do to help. While working on this merit badge, volunteer at least eight hours of your time for the organization. After your volunteer experience is over, discuss what you have learned with your counselor.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby ronin718 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:14 am

I wish this was happening in my district so I could make a friendly visit as a UC and give some counseling. There are so many things wrong with this picture. Definitely an "add or detract" issue. Just needs a knowledgeable individual to go and provide some corrective information.
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby razor_strop » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:33 pm

smtroop168 wrote:The rules allow a scout to request a SMC and BOR when he believes he has completed all the requirements and a Scout cannot be denied this opportunity.

Matt, thanks for bringing this up. I've seen in the ACPP where it states a Scout can't be denied a BOR, but I've never been able to find similar wording for an SMC. Do you know where I can find that, as I've seen a SM "put off" an SMC to slow down Scouts he felt were "rushing" though advancement.
razor_strop
Life

Postby FrankJ » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:49 pm

If the COR is in agreement with the SM... You are not going to win this. They probably know the rules & choosing their on interpretation. Better to find another troop.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:30 pm

FrankJ wrote:If the COR is in agreement with the SM... You are not going to win this. They probably know the rules & choosing their on interpretation. Better to find another troop.

Better to file a complaint with the SE. :twisted:
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Return to General Advancement Information