GTA - When Responsibilities Are Not Met

This is to be used when something does not fit in any of the Other Forums

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

GTA - When Responsibilities Are Not Met

Postby Fred Johnson » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:33 pm

I like that section 4.2.3.4.5 says "It is unfair and inappropriate after six months, for example—to surprise a boy who thinks he has been doing fine, with news that his performance is now considered unsatisfactory. In this case, he must be given credit for the time."

I also like that it says when working with the scout to improve performance, it is the scout who defines how much time to credit. "He will tell the leaders how much of the service time should be recorded."

But it also says "If it becomes clear nothing will improve his performance, then it is acceptable to remove the Scout from his position.". If that happens, how much time is credited? From what I've read, you either ask the scout how much to credit or give him credit for the time served. Is this right? I hope so, but I wanted to ask.
Fred Johnson
Life

Re: GTA - When Responsibilities Are Not Met

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:04 pm

Yes...I think in the discussion you and the scout will arrive at the proper amount. They know if they've been doing the job or not.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Fred Johnson » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:25 pm

I'm clearly nit picking. I like what's been wrote. I also agree that through a discussion you can usually reach an agree with a person. Most people are willing to admit when things fall short and work to a satisfactory agreement. If they won't, they probably won't last long in scouting anyway.

I'm just asking about a niche ... if a scout and a unit leader can't arrive at an agreeable amount. Section 4.2.3.4.5 only says: "He will tell the leaders how much of the service time should be recorded." It does not say anything about the unit leader mediating or approving how much time to credit.

An experienced scout leader that works well with people will handle the discussion smoothly. But if things get messed up, this could be an issue that escalates up through the system. (could be the right way to handle it)
Fred Johnson
Life

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:28 pm

He can always ask for a BOR if he believes he has completed all the requirements for that rank.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Return to General Advancement Information