Postby wagionvigil » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:19 am

NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Re: Merit Badge Pamphlets on Amazon Kindle

Postby FrankJ » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:14 am

I like it. There is a charge for them so they are not free. (obviously). So presumably if they are part a of a lending library you will need to control the number of copies. Not having a kindle I don't know how to do that or if it is done for you.

The annual requirements handbook is also available. That is great since the current requirements for every thing is there.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby agdparker » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:22 pm

Check out the comments on the Scouting magazine post for this. There are some serious concerns for troop libraries. Also, the price point is the same as the hard copies which only makes sense if they update your copy when new versions come out.

I have a hard time believing that the cost per book to make them available electronically are anywhere near what they are charging. Sure, there are some costs but I'd love to hear how they came up with those prices.

It's progress, but I have concerns.
agdparker
Star

Postby FrankJ » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:29 am

I think it is a start. I don't think they have really thought out the pricing model. For instance G2SS should be close to free. Maybe others that have legal PDFs available as well. A lot will depend how much does BSA wants to go to a digital model. It is also another dent in the no electronics in scouting mind set.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby ronin718 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:33 am

I think this is going to be a huge hit on troop libraries. Unless the Kindle is registered to the troop, the device is owned by an individual, and the MB pamphlet is registered to the device. This is not a public access method or library-enabled.

This also takes away from the one thing I always enjoyed about buying the MB pamphlets for my son's work. Once he was done with the MB, I could donate the book to the troop and claim the price/donation on my taxes. Can't do that with a Kindle purchase.
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Return to General Advancement Information