Interpreter strips

All non-advancement related awards and recognitions. (Anything except Ranks, Merit Badges, and Palms.)

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Interpreter strips

Postby starhawk » Wed May 10, 2006 9:02 pm

Well, I am new to this forum so cope with me here. I am wondering if anybody knows any good links for the Russian interpreter strip.

Thanks

Starhawk-One
Star Scout
Senior Patrol Leader for Troop 342
of Moscow Idaho.
starhawk
Scout

Postby Scouting179 » Thu May 11, 2006 8:06 am

What exactly are you looking for? The requirements are in the advancement handbook.
Eagle Scout, 22 Jan 1974
ISCA 5537L, Wood Badge SR 571
Chowanoc District Advancement Chairman
Tidewater Council, VA
http://members.cox.net/scouting179
Scouting179
Bronze Palm

Postby starhawk » Thu May 11, 2006 9:26 am

I am looking for a good lingo package, because other kids I know want to earn it as well. Plus it has been a tradition of my family ever since Scouting was established to earn the Interpreter Strip. My father earned the French one and his father before him. And before that it was...German. So i want to break the mold and learn Russian
Star Scout
Troop 342 Dragon Patrol
Senior Patrol Leader
starhawk
Scout

learning A Language

Postby ThunderingWind » Thu May 11, 2006 12:54 pm

Check with your school system. They may offer Russian. Check with the local College or University. They may offer it.

If not, then to learn the language well enough to pass the "test," I suggest you save up your $$ and purchase Rosetta Stone for Russian. See www.rosettastone.com for more information.

I went the standard route and took four years of French in High School, two years in College and then used it by traveling to French speaking countries. I taught my children the basics when they were babies. There are many things in our house that we call its French name instead of English.

I wish you well in your quest to learn anotehr language. Learn the culture as well. It helps understand to understand the overall picture.

Y I S.....
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Interpreter

Postby riverwalk » Sat May 13, 2006 12:59 am

Great family practice. I've thought about qualifying for one as well. My daughter assists in our Pack, and she wears the ones for Spanish and German.

I encourage you to find ways to use the skill in your Scouting experience. This can be in the community somehow, or Jamborees, or as a Host Family. Good luck.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby jjester » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:08 pm

Hey guys,

I'm new here but I thought that I would say something about the interpreter strips. I think they are fantastic as they allow the kids and adults to know to whom they can go to when they are having language problems. I live in a part of North Carolina that has become such a smelting pot of different nationalities it is almost unbelievable. The main growth here in Scouting has become the new thing of Soccer and Scouting which has honed in on the Hispanic populaton. In my son's Troop there are several boys from foreign countries that have a little problem with the English language, they're trying really hard to learn and that's a plus! We have a very strong nationality mix in his Troop and it is very educational to hear about the way Scouting is done in some of the foreign countries these boys came from! I have heard several people say that the best way to learn a foreign language quickly is by use of the Rosetta Stone method.

I was born in the foothills of North Carolina and was raised on a farm so as a joke I have one BSA Dress Shirt that has my personal Translator strip that reads "SOUTHERN DRAWL". People come up to me and want to know what that is and I usually say something like "Do you remember the Dukes of Hazzard" or the "Mayberry" TV shows? Then I usually break off into a short speech using my broken "red-neck" words to make them laugh. It's all done in fun and most people think it is hysterical. You got to keep fun in Scouting. Good luck.
jjester

Postby pipestone1991 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:33 pm

I'm bringing this back up for anyone interested in learning a new language. Do know that it takes several years to learn a language for this strip as you must be able to speak fluently for 2 minutes and write a letter in the language. I have een studying French for two years and still do not feel confortable taking the award. I think I'll able to do it next year after my third year of French.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Mon May 05, 2008 4:41 am

Pipestone, it depends upon the Scout and the language. Good for you for keeping the family tradition! #1 son is learning Japanese and he will likely take three or four years before he is able to do the two minute translation and the letter writing. The speed at which a native speaker talks is so fast. OTOH, #2 is a Latin whiz and is likely skilled enough after less than a year to pass the minimum requirements if he wanted to. A friend of ours learned enough sign language in one semester. He and his brother (who did Tagalog) are the only two we actually know who have earned it. Has anyone here done it?
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby scouter01 » Sat May 10, 2008 8:56 pm

I am not even finished with my first year of spanish, and I htik I could write a letter, although the speaking part would be hard. Guess Ill wait a couple of years
scouter01
Eagle

Postby JMWalston » Sat May 24, 2008 11:13 am

The Scout Stuff site lists the most common strips, but it is possible to be awarded language strips for some of the languages infrequently encountered. The old Scout Handbooks used to display the interpreter strip for Bengali, the dialect of Bangladesh.

The idea of the interpreter strip is as an aid for Scouts to communicate with others who may not have a fluent or extensive background in English. Some people view them as an award, others view them as a "I can help you" tag.
JMWalston
Scout

Return to Awards and Recognitions