Is there an award for getting all the merit badges?

All non-advancement related awards and recognitions. (Anything except Ranks, Merit Badges, and Palms.)

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Is there an award for getting all the merit badges?

Postby cyn » Mon May 22, 2006 11:18 pm

Hello. I'm Cyndie, and I'm new here. I have three boys, all of whom are now (or recently were) boy scouts. I am a merit badge counselor myself and a BIG supporter of BSA. My van even has a bumper sticker that says, "We're a scouting family!" :D

My question is about awards. My middle son, Dallin, has earned 115 merit badges. He has only 6 to go to get them all, and is right on track, that is to say, we have a schedule and plans in place for him to receive them all prior to his 18th birthday in August.

So the question is, "Is there an award for getting all the merit badges?"

My council doesn't seem to know. I've decided that if anyone knows, probably you guys do.

Cyn
Cyn
Avid Scout Mom
Merit Badge Counselor
cyn
Scout

Postby Lynda J » Tue May 23, 2006 9:22 am

I don't think there is any special award for earning all the badges aside from the since of achievement of earning the badges and the knowledge he has gained from covering such a wide range of subject matter.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby MisterChris » Tue May 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Wow! quite an accomplishment, and Congratulations!

Never heard of an award for such a thing. I might suggest seeing if your SM could print a very nice certificate and have your DE present it to the boy. For an accomplishment such as that, a ceremony seems appropriate, and I think your District Exec would be willing to be on hand to honor him.

Have a signature place for the SM and DE.

Then I would get a frame for the certificate, and inset a photo of the DE giving the award to your son.

If possible I would get a frame that was matted in such a way (rather larger than the 8.5"x11" certificate) to place the 121 MB around the certificate, inset in the matte. (There's probably not room on his sash for all those badges anyway!) That is, make sure there are 121 1" (make SURE of my measurement here!) holes in the matte that form 1 or 2 rings around the certificate.

This will provide your son with an heirloom piece he would be MOST proud to hang on his home or office wall.

Don't forget to write a note on the back or a letter to include letting your son know how very proud of him you are.
Eagle Scout since 1978

Third of 3 Eagle Scout sons of OJ 'Jump' Solaas, promoted to heaven 05/1988

http://www.troopole97.com
MisterChris
Star

Postby maricopasem » Tue May 23, 2006 1:52 pm

The potential award(s) is 7 bronze palms, 7 gold plams, and 6 silver palms.
maricopasem
Life

Postby PaulSWolf » Tue May 23, 2006 2:30 pm

Of course, the Scout would not wear all 20 palms. He would wear 6 Silver Palms and a Gold Palm in such a case.

Keep in mind that there's also a 3 month tenure time constraint for each Palm. To earn all 20 Palms, he'd have to pass his Eagle Board of Review no later than the day before his 13th Birthday, and each subsequent Board of Review (20 of them) exactly 3 months (to the day) after the preceeding Review, to complete the last one before his 18th birthday.

For example, if his 13th Birthday was on January 1, 2002, he would have had to have passed his EBoR by Dec. 31, 2001, his first Bronze Palm BoR by Mar 31, 2002, the first Gold Palm BoR by June 30, 2002, the first Silver Palm BoR by Sep 30, 2002, the second Bronze (4th Palm) BoR by Dec 31, 2002, etc, and the 7th Bronze (20th Palm) BoR by Dec 31, 2006.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby cyn » Tue May 23, 2006 8:15 pm

All 121 badges fit on the bandelo. We've got 60 on each side and will put one on the seam at the bottom. My mother is making a hand-quilted wall hanging where we can display all the MB. This wall hanging will also display all his rank advancements, patches from camps, council, his 50 miler, and a few special ones from Jamboree 05. I would like to post a digital picture of the wall hanging, but I'm not sure I know how.

My son received his Eagle award in Arlington National Cemetary last summer while touring prior to Jamboree. His EBoR was 05-05-05, so he will only get 5 palms, but that's okay! 121 badges and 5 palms is way more than he ever hoped to have.

Does anyone know if they keep a list of other boys who have reached this goal?

Thanks for all your good input and suggestions.
Cyn
Avid Scout Mom
Merit Badge Counselor
cyn
Scout

Project?

Postby riverwalk » Thu May 25, 2006 7:37 pm

Maybe your family could take on/start a project for that. It might be interesting. Since it isn't required (thank goodness) to get all MB's, it isn't likely that BSA would track suck accomplishments. More likely an individual Council/District/Unit would know their own history.

The wall hanging is a neat idea. BSA promotes this anyway, in forms of red vests or patch blankets. That way Uniforms remain uncluttered. In my collecting, I've rescued some items sold on the "e-place", that I encourage Scouts to keep. This being a personal patch/device record. The most recent I "saved", is from the NCACouncil, and I'm in Circle Ten Council. This item included old patches, service stars, and the boy's arrow from his 1960's Cub experience. I displayed it within a few days of receiving it...and a parent came up to offer all his grandfather's Eagle/Scouting stuff. So I'm glad you're preserving his items.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby Chief J » Fri May 26, 2006 9:45 am

Wow, this is a huge accomplishment. I agree with everyone else that a recognition ceremony would be appropriate.

Congratulations to your son on this endeavor.
Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby lifescoutforlife » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:20 am

My son has a goal of getting 100 MB's, people either think he is crazy or really hope he gets there. He has 13 with only being in scouts for 5 months. If he gets 4 both weeks he is a camp he will be up to 21. He is almost is finished with 5 other MB's. He only has 2 required done and is almost done with 2 more. I do not know why he ever set this goal for himself but I hope he does well in trying to reach it. He says that every time he takes a MB he learns which is a great thing. He fravorite so far is Coin Collecting, he talks about it as one of the funnest things he has done in scouting so far.
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby ICanCanoeCanU » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:31 pm

we have a schedule and plans in place for him to receive them all prior to his 18th birthday in August.

Sounds to me as WE have earned 115 badges?
ICanCanoeCanU
Eagle

Postby maricopasem » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:03 pm

Sounds to me as WE have earned 115 badges?

I'll restate what I said in another thread involving the same issue:

I find it interesting that there are so many threads that bemoan the lack of parental support and involvement. And yet, as soon as a devoted mother seeks information for her son so that "they" can finish all of the Merit Badges she gets harassed for being involved. It sounds hypocritical to whine about shrinking numbers and mediocre-at-best familial involvement and then criticize a mother for helping her boy.

Besides, in my experience no mother -- however devoted, persuasive, and/or threatening she may be -- could get her son to achieve the Eagle rank and earn all of the badges unless he was motivated to do so and worked hard to do it.
maricopasem
Life

Postby 616kayak » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:25 pm

I dont think she meant it that way. Shes most likely being a guide for him, helping him plan his schedule, etc.
"Training is my business and business is always good"

Life scout / JASM
616kayak
Eagle

Postby cyn » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:47 pm

Hello again,

Dallin has nearly done it. HE (not WE) has 120 MB's with one to go. He leaves Monday morning (7-17) to get the last requirement for the Backpacking badge. His scoutmaster has planned a 50 mile hike for their troop in the high Uintah mountains. Though he technically only needs a 30 mile hike, they've got the time and have decided to get the 50 miler patch while they're at it. :)

A couple of notes:

Thanks so much to those who have given the benefit of the doubt on the "we" thing. It's a technicality because there has naturally been a ton of family support for Dallin's goal. He didn't set the goal until Fall of 2003 when he only had 19 badges, so to earn 102 badges in less than 3 years has impacted our family in many ways. We've rearranged so much of our lives to accomodate this. Some men have said, "We're having a baby in July..." when of course they personally are not having a baby, but their wife is. This is the same sort of thing. WE did not earn the badges, but we cheered him on, we supported him, we arranged our vacations to places that would help him get this or that badge, we paid for various supplies and materials and rentals, called in every expert we knew to give personal tours, interview sessions, loan equipment...you get the idea. We have put aspects of our otherwise "normal" life on hold to assist him in this endeavor. That's all I meant, and I appreciate those who understood that without this explanation.

Dallin completed the new Composite Materials badge recently and loved it! In fact, as I prepared a press release I asked him to cite which badges he enjoyed the most. He answered 1. Wilderness Survival, which he earned early on, stating the reason was that he enjoyed knowing that he had learned the skills needed to survive should he need them and felt reassured in this. 2. Bird Study, because he discovered he quite enjoyed bird watching--something he didn't think he'd enjoy until he tried it, and 3. Composite Materials because he learned so much and thoroughly enjoyed the tour and personal involvement the counselor spent in taking him through his shop and teaching him one-on-one the many things he was expert in. His least favorite badge was Bugling because he doesn't play a musical instrument, let alone read music and he had to work for many, many months learning to play it in order to pass of the 15 required bugle calls. Probably more time was spent on Bugling than anything else and he was one happy camper when he successfully passed off with the MB counselor. "I'm never lifting a trumpet to my lips again, mom!" :wink:

Another interesting fact about this kid is that he was homeschooled during 9th and 10th grade and his grandmother, a retired school teacher, built their curriculum around the MBs. When they were studying Egypt, they incorporated the Pulp and Paper badge and Archeology. As they studied government they worked on the Citizenships, Law, Public Speaking etc. They went to the library weekly checking out MB pamphlets and reading materials to learn the history and careers, to study all the things they needed to do. They had weekly field trips wherein they learned from experts, usually in personal one-on-one tours and simultaneously fulfilled MB requirements. His education is unique, and not something for every boy, but a fantastic educational experience for him. He has learned a fair amount of material about 121 different subjects, and been exposed to 121 different careers as well.

It's been a thrill to be a part of it, and he's inspired a lot of people along the way. We're holding a recognition ceremony for him soon, to which you're all invited. Should any of you live in this area, we'd love to have you join us. The celebration event will be held on Wednesday, August 2, 2006 at 7pm at the Lodge at Camp Tracy up Millcreek Canyon in Salt Lake City, Utah. We only ask that you RSVP with a head count of how many you're bringing so we can have enough cake. Our council PR person has invited the press and other State and Local Government dignitaries.

Dallin will turn 18 on August 6th, so this great scouting ride is about over....or is it? I've got a 12 year old heading for scout camp on Monday, so I'm not done being a Scout mom yet. :lol:

Thanks to all,
Cyn
PS: Email me privately if you seriously want to come to the recognition celebration. I'll get you an invitation and a map if you need it.
cynsymphony@smartfella.com
Cyn
Avid Scout Mom
Merit Badge Counselor
cyn
Scout

Postby scoutaholic » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:00 am

Congratulations to Dallin!

I'd love to come to your celebration, but will be at council summer camp (Bear Lake Aquatics Base) with my troop that week.

Let us know how the ceremony goes.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby lifescoutforlife » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:38 am

Congrats to your son Dallin on a job well done.
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby momma_bee » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:24 am

So, what do you call it?

I have seen comments that said if a Webelos earned all 20 activity badges, it was the "Heavy Shoulder Award" because if they wear all the pins, it would get kinda heavy.

So, is it the "Heavy Sash Award"?

We were talking about this subject this week - not so much earning all the MB's but even the kids who earn a lot - is there an affectionate nickname for it?

Cindy - congrats on raising great sons. I understand the WE as well. I personally claim ownership of every scout who has ever enrolled in the same unit I am in. So, I have many boys and girls. I refer to them as mine and you shall do no harm to them or I WILL MommaBear on you. :D This attitude tends to throw folks for a loop, especially when I feel that way about the kids that are troublemakers. And, if I plan the event, think of the event, or help with the event it is mine as well. All the problems are mine to worry about and I am allowed to smile in pride at what the scouts have done. I just try like the dickens to avoid credit because nothing is done alone and no man is an island unto himself.

Dallin! Great job.
momma_bee
Life

Postby ICanCanoeCanU » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:37 am

cyn - After re-reading this thread and looking at another thread where you admitted this is a family goal, and I see that I'm not the only person to notice your use of the word WE as opposed to he. You also make reference to the fact that YOU called upon every expert you could find to be available for him, suggesting that maybe he didn't do every bit himself?

I just find it extremely unusual for one boy to have the time and interest in SO MANY areas to be able to complete every single badge out there. I agree with others that most boys earn the required badges and ones that either really peak their own interest or are done as a troop thing. To have the interest/knowledge/access or whatever to do everything from Aviation, Oceanography, Plumbing, Nuclear Science, Coin Collecting, Chemistry, Railroading, and Theater etc., not to mention every athletic sport/water/and shooting sport out there - just seems a bit out of reach. Especially for a child that is home schooled, making it harder to find the opportunity to participate in some of the requirements.

Also, I would think almost every Eagle Scout (or any other rank) out there has had parents supporting, cheering and driving them around, giving up some of their own time for their son to participate in scouting. Having had several boys in scouting at the same time, I understand how scouting becomes a major part of the entire family’s time and activities.

So, I stand by my original thought (which by the way, was not harassment but just a comment) – sounds like WE have earned all the badges.
ICanCanoeCanU
Eagle

Postby cballman » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:52 pm

ok people lets tone this down. the accustions that are flying back and forth are not a good thing. if you have a personal vendetta then email the person but no harsh personal comments please.

now on to the real question if you dont feel proud when you have gone to camp with these kids and they earn something or have worked hard to accomplish something or when they get the recognition they deserve then i must say either you are so cold-hearted or just plain dont care about the kids at all.
cballman

Postby maricopasem » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:23 am

ok people lets tone this down. the accustions that are flying back and forth are not a good thing. if you have a personal vendetta then email the person but no harsh personal comments please.

I agree. Why would you impugn the boy, his family, his schooling, etc.? The rush to judgment on someone you, Canoe, don't know at all is unbelievable.
Last edited by maricopasem on Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maricopasem
Life

Postby ICanCanoeCanU » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:34 pm

I will assume you are writing this to me and I do need to clarify.

First off - I don't believe accusations are flying back and forth or that this thread has taken a heated turn. At least that was not my intention when I wrote. Because I didn’t agree as easily to this thread as the rest of you, doesn’t mean that any comment I make is nasty or that I have a personal vendetta. Seems to be a trigger happy bunch in here sometimes to assume every debate is nasty and that people should be warned to cool down.

My original comment was just an observation which was written from a neutral point. A simple, one line comment? Since writing that, I felt as though I was being jumped on for even questioning the starting thread of this topic. So, I was merely defending myself for my initial line. The reference to the boys schooling was to reflect (in a positive way) the fact that most home schooled children have less opportunities to participate in things like drama club, sports, etc. which I would think would make it harder for the boy to complete his requirements. The original author is the one that mentioned schooling and family, all I did was reference these points, and not in a negative way!

Now, with that being said, I do congratulate any FAMILY that can earn every merit badge. And I commend any family out there that supports scouting and their boys. We as parents all know scouting can be very time consuming and surely this family has devoted many, many hours to this goal.

now on to the real question if you dont feel proud when you have gone to camp with these kids and they earn something or have worked hard to accomplish something or when they get the recognition they deserve then i must say either you are so cold-hearted or just plain dont care about the kids at all.
Not sure where this was even going or how it applies?
ICanCanoeCanU
Eagle

Next

Return to Awards and Recognitions