Is there an award for getting all the merit badges?

All non-advancement related awards and recognitions. (Anything except Ranks, Merit Badges, and Palms.)

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: Is there an award for getting all the merit badges?

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:31 am

UtahScoutmaster wrote:Most importantly he will have learned much & been exposed to much.

Only thing that matters.

Welcome to the Forum.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Mrw » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:31 am

UtahScoutmaster wrote:Back to the topic that I feel this thread relates to...recently I had the opportunity to hold an Eagle SM’s Conference of a Scout that is just turning 14. (He has a very seriously pro-active mom & they have been doing nearly everything on their own until recently.) In the conference it came out that he felt that all he was doing in life is working on MB’s. He said that felt he was done once he had his Eagle…he “Doesn’t really want to do the Scout thing anymore. I felt sick inside to hear that. I explained that now that he was Eagle that he needed to step up into more of a leadership roll, give back to the younger Scouts & troop but more importantly…not stop progressing.

I made him aware of the Palms, Conservation Award, the National Outdoor Achievement awards among other awards that were available to him. I mentioned although Eagle was a HUGE accomplishment & one to be proud of and commended for, that Scouts offered so much more for him & now is when he could really enjoy it. I told him rather than MB’s that he “had” to take there were so many that he “could" take…by choice that may interest him more. These would help make him more rounded as well as maybe gain knowledge & skills in preparation for life. I told him to just look through the list of MB’s and pick things he was interested in. Interestingly, as hard as his parents have pushed him the last two years…they too don’t seem very interested in pursuing anything more now that he is receiving his Eagle . They say that he is getting busier in life etc. Again…it kinda made me feel sick inside. I did express the same thoughts to them as I did their son. As he will be moving in to the Varsity program…we will see where he goes.

Thanks for standing up to improve the troop for your son and the other boys involved!

As far as this kid goes, it is really far too common with the very young Eagles. Mom or Dad is very driven to have this for their son and they do all the organizing and pushing to get there. So the kid has not had much fun in the journey. Nor has he really learned anywhere near as much on the way as if he had taken longer and been allowed to make his own mistakes along the way.

I do understand why they may want to complete this before moving to the Varsity team as I have gotten the impression that advancement is not much of a focus in many teams, but it has short-changed the boy.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby lambeausam » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:33 am

Thank you for creating an improved scouting environment for those young men!
lambeausam
Life

Postby UtahScoutmaster » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:37 am

Looking back at my post...a little long winded, sorry about that. :oops:

smtroop168 wrote:Welcome to the Forum.

Thank you so much, it really does seem to have a wealth of knowledge as well as incite.

Mrw wrote:Thanks for standing up to improve the troop for your son and the other boys involved!

Thank you. Like I said...it came down to "put up or shut up." While we have been able to get several merit badges in the past few months as a troop, we are not just focusing on that only. We have also been active in troop activities including a Klondike Derby (helped with Camping & Cooking MB's)...which had previously been a cold miserable experience in which they left first thing in the morning before any activities. We spent two weekends & an extra day a week preparing for it...ALL had a good time including 3 varsity & 3 ventures, all were safe, dry, warm, & full bellies. Even though we were one of the smaller troops we were able to win several First Places & overall Klondike First Place Troop winner for which we were awarded much needed equipment at Round Table.

We also went on a overnight cross-country ski trip to one of the lodges at a Scout Camp. (Ended up being a white-out on the way in & had to use ours & the lodges snow mobiles to get everybody in...24" of snow that night.) The next morning was beautiful & we then skied the 5 miles out. (which helped us get our Snow Sports MB). We have had two COH's. We have gone on Archery (MB) & Shotgunning (MB) outings as well as being involved in a few community service projects...one of which was in the inner city & a great experience with both kids. We have attended City Council Meetings (Citz in the Community & Communications MB's) We have also gone through the process of training, organizing (Troop Mobilization Plan) & activating our Troop with the community in case of Emergencies (Emerg Prep & Safety MB's ) among other things.

My point is while we have been proactive as possible with working on MB's as making them & their parents aware of elective MB classes & Pow Wow's as well as even gearing many of our outings to help them with their MB's...we are not running a "MB Mill classroom" by any means. We have tried to maintain a balance between getting MB's & true Scout outings which teach, enforce & test their MB knowledge. I truly think that they are having fun while at the same time realizing advancement & MB's are possible at the same time.

As far as this kid goes, it is really far too common with the very young Eagles. Mom or Dad is very driven to have this for their son and they do all the organizing and pushing to get there. So the kid has not had much fun in the journey. Nor has he really learned anywhere near as much on the way as if he had taken longer and been allowed to make his own mistakes along the way.

I do understand why they may want to complete this before moving to the Varsity team as I have gotten the impression that advancement is not much of a focus in many teams, but it has short-changed the boy.

Don't get me wrong, I’m very excited for & commending for the Eagle accomplishment, both for this boy & his parents. They truly should be commended! I too understand the push to get it done sooner than later. Admittedly, one of the things I do like about getting them to Eagle by around 14'ish, is if they truly earned it and were active in the troop, they then can then spend more time giving back to the troop & are more likely to be ready to lead. Also they can then truly enjoy the activities of Scouting with out so much pressure from anyone as well as earn/learn MB's that truly interest them before they are into other things that comes around 16 yoa.

I am, however concerned about this specific kid & about what happens to him from here. BTW, this kid HATES camping & is very difficult to get him to go on any outdoor activity. I doubt it will get any easier. (The only outdoor related MB’s he has are ones that required it.) I believe nearly all his camping nights have come from summer Scout Camps. (I know, I know :roll: ) All I can do at this point is wish him well in Varsity & make sure the next couple of years for the boys I still have, is a different experience going forward.

Dang...I did it again...long winded. :oops:
Last edited by UtahScoutmaster on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
UtahScoutmaster
Tenderfoot

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:51 am

UtahScoutmaster wrote:Thank you so much, it really does seem to have a wealth of knowledge as well as incite.

We have been known to incite some folks by providing our insight. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry about that. Sometimes it's the Principal :wink: of the thing.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby UtahScoutmaster » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:01 pm

smtroop168 wrote:
UtahScoutmaster wrote:Thank you so much, it really does seem to have a wealth of knowledge as well as incite.

We have been known to incite some folks by providing our insight. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry about that. Sometimes it's the Principal :wink: of the thing.

LOL :lol: ...its all good, got typing too fast or maybe a Freudian slip. :wink:
UtahScoutmaster
Tenderfoot

Postby RWSmith » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:35 pm

UtahScoutmaster wrote: ....will probably be longer than it should for an inaugural post....

Well, I see that I have just been unseated (quite unceremoniously, I might add) from my from my long-standing, unchallenged reign as "the Long Wind". -- WHEW! :roll:

P.S. Welcome to the forums. :mrgreen:
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby UtahScoutmaster » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:22 pm

RWSmith wrote:
UtahScoutmaster wrote: ....will probably be longer than it should for an inaugural post....

Well, I see that I have just been unseated (quite unceremoniously, I might add) from my from my long-standing, unchallenged reign as "the Long Wind". -- WHEW! :roll:

LOL :D Yeah...I had lots on my mind last night. I doubt I will have such a long winded single post again. Just had to get some thoughts out before they were gone.
UtahScoutmaster
Tenderfoot

Postby RWSmith » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:33 pm

UtahScoutmaster wrote:
RWSmith wrote:

LOL :D Yeah...I had lots on my mind last night. I doubt I will have such a long winded single post again. Just had to get some thoughts out before they were gone.

Oh, no you don't! You're not getting off that easy! -- You have a responsibility now... to your fans. Ergo, to occasionally remind us of your passion for Scouting. (Oh, and your uncanny ability to stand on a soap-box and give a long speech while hopping up and down on one leg, chewing gum, patting your head, and rubbing your belly in a circular fashion.)

Note, I said, occasionally... so, you only have to do the soap-box part once-in-a-while. :wink:

====================

Okay, I've been off-topic (and hammered the new guy) long enough... back to our regularly scheduled program now.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby ronin718 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:34 pm

Unfortunately, the scenario UTSM describes is all too common in the LDS realm. My own dear wife has the same mentality. As far as she's concerned, our son can quit Scouting anytime and be done with it and it wouldn't hurt her feelings one bit. However, since our son is still enjoying his Scouting career, she supports us in our pursuit of all things Scouting. There are only two rules that he must abide by:

1. He must continue to work on "advancements", i.e. Palms and MBs. No sitting on his laurels even though he's banked enough MBs for his Double Silver.

2. He must continue to provide leadership and participate in his patrol/troop activities.

The difference for us is we are involved in a non-LDS troop that is very active outdoors. If we were relying on our local LDS units, we'd be done. But that's another story for a different set of ears and a different soapbox. UTSM is probably familiar with the theory.
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby UtahScoutmaster » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:54 pm

RWSmith wrote:Oh, no you don't! You're not getting off that easy! -- You have a responsibility now... to your fans. Ergo, to occasionally remind us of your passion for Scouting. (Oh, and your uncanny ability to stand on a soap-box and give a long speech while hopping up and down on one leg, chewing gum, patting your head, and rubbing your belly in a circular fashion.)

Note, I said, occasionally... so, you only have to do the soap-box part once-in-a-while. :wink:

I don't know about all that...but we will give'r a try. :)

ronin718 wrote:Unfortunately, the scenario UTSM describes is all too common in the LDS realm.

Sad but true.
There are only two rules that he must abide by:

1. He must continue to work on "advancements", i.e. Palms and MBs. No sitting on his laurels even though he's banked enough MBs for his Double Silver.

2. He must continue to provide leadership and participate in his patrol/troop activities.

#2 is manditory to achieve #1 anyway. Great stipulations...doubtful a problem for an active Scout like yours. Congrats & keep up the good work & Scouting.
UtahScoutmaster
Tenderfoot

Postby Quailman » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:04 pm

Here's a story about a scout who has earned 130 Merit Badges.

http://www.ultimatekaty.com/stories/253 ... es-history

He's also in OA and worked on the trail maintenance project in the Bridger-Teton National Forest.

And he's completed 4 Hornaday projects (application pending at National).

Per the article, he's an Eagle Scout and is close to earning the Sea Scout Quartermaster rank.

He's one of six Sea Scout selected to sail with the US Coast Guard on the Barque Eagle, a tall-masted sailing ship.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:28 pm

Did anyone notice he was only 13? :wink:
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby JH-SM-T03 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:10 am

No memtion anywhere in the article of this Scouts age. Only his HS grade and college plans in 2012.
Jim Hunter
SM T803
JH-SM-T03
Second Class

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:51 am

JH-SM-T03 wrote:No memtion anywhere in the article of this Scouts age. Only his HS grade and college plans in 2012.

You missed my :wink:
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby kwildman » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:12 am

Thats funny because i looked a the article to and saw he was in the 11th grade. But then i thought to myself he could be 13 and in 11th grade since he is home schooled. :wink:
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby Quailman » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:53 pm

I was privileged to meet the young man with 130 merit badges this afternoon. As a member of the Conservation Committee I was part of a panel who reviewed his project write-ups and interviewed him prior to signing off (I was mistaken when I said his application was pending at national). His merit badge sash was amazing. Every inch was covered, front and back.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby ismellbacon » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:42 pm

Congratz to your Eagle, that is quite the accomplishment! They should have something special for the "Heavy Shoulder" Boy Scouts! :P
Yours in scouting,

Sleeping Bear
Scoutmaster
Colonial Virginia Council
S7-595-12-1
ismellbacon
Star

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:03 am

Dear BSA, Thank you SO much for adding all the nice, expensive merit badges at the tail end of my son's journey. :P

#2 is counting down his final week. Four Bugle calls still to be done to the instructor's satisfaction, a video re-re-re-edit (choosing a college professor with an Emmy to be your Cinematography merit badge counselor was an interesting choice), and a review of your models and scale (ditto on choosing the high-achiever structural engineer for the Modeling badge) to go.

His sisters have patiently been waiting for "their turn". His mom is chronically exhausted (#2 doesn't drive) and his dad is chronically broke (#2 doesn't have a job) :D . But it has all been worth it. Yes, even SCUBA.

Seriously, though, a huge "thank you" to BSA National -- for NOT releasing Search & Rescue yet.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby RWSmith » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:53 pm

AquilaNegra2 wrote:Dear BSA, Thank you SO much for adding all the nice, expensive merit badges at the tail end of my son's journey. :P

#2 is counting down his final week. Four Bugle calls still to be done to the instructor's satisfaction, a video re-re-re-edit (choosing a college professor with an Emmy to be your Cinematography merit badge counselor was an interesting choice), and a review of your models and scale (ditto on choosing the high-achiever structural engineer for the Modeling badge) to go.

His sisters have patiently been waiting for "their turn". His mom is chronically exhausted (#2 doesn't drive) and his dad is chronically broke (#2 doesn't have a job) :D . But it has all been worth it. Yes, even SCUBA.

Seriously, though, a huge "thank you" to BSA National -- for NOT releasing Search & Rescue yet.

And here we have it, folks :!:

That, no doubt, has to be "the post of the week" :!:

================

P.S. Congrats to your entire family... for so many reasons that it's not even funny. :wink:
RWSmith
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Awards and Recognitions