Is there an award for getting all the merit badges?

All non-advancement related awards and recognitions. (Anything except Ranks, Merit Badges, and Palms.)

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: Is there an award for getting all the merit badges?

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:02 am

Thanks. A long path. Does not diminish the path of other Eagles who set different goals, but a nice achievement for him. Eagles are a breed above, and I'm proud of mine for what they've done. It's bittersweet as he leaves his troop for college. Makes me wish I had more sons [as in, more children who are boys, not trading my girls ;-)].
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby FrankJ » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:40 pm

There is always venturing with a new set of challenges. :D
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby lifescoutforlife » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:29 am

Over 6 years ago I read this thread because my oldest son had a goal of earning 100 merit badges. He changed that goal into earning them all after talking a while with Dallin whos mother started this thread. He finished them all 2 years ago on Sep 5th when he completed Scuba Diving MB. Since then he has earned Chess, Welding, Robotics and Kayaking and if all goes well will complete Search & Rescue this weekend. He will turn 18 at the end of the month so this will be the last one he can ever earn. Along the way he has earned merit badges in 5 different states and from about 100 different councilors and has made friends all over the East Coast while staying at different summer camps. He also got to meet his mentor Dallin at the 2010 National Jamboree. I would like to take this time to thank everyone that helped him in any way from being a councilor to helping him find a councilor for some of the ones that were not offered in our area.
If you don't take care of the Cub Scouts there will be no Boy Scouts!
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby kc9901mom » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:57 am

My oldest son who is now 12 (will be 13 in Nov) also has the goal in earning all 130 merit badges. He had this goal before he crossed over into Boy Scouts from Cub Scouts. He did not earn very many merit badges in his first year of scouting because the Troop he was in did not participate in very many local council events or merit badge universities/fairs/midways. We changed Troops in Feb. because of some issues. We are now in a much better Troop that does participate in most of the local Council events and goes to merit badge universities. This year we were able to send both of our boys to two Council-run summer camps and my oldest son earned 13 merit badges at each of the two camps. My oldest son set this goal for himself because he saw some You Tube videos of scouts who earned all of the merit badges available while they were scouts and he read about scouts earning all of the merit badges on the Internet. I provided and will continue to provide the support that he needs to achieve his goal. Together, we have formulated a plan, identified which merit badges would be a challenge for him because of personal interest and geographic location. For example, we live in Central Texas where the "winters" are mild (I tell people that in Texas - we only have 2 seasons Summer and Spring and 3 weeks of Winter not necessarily consecutive weeks either). He also does not have an interest in competitive sports and now he is home-schooled (luckily for us - a lot of people home school in our area and there is an organization that provides different competitive sports for home-school/private school kids). When my son gets discouraged - I encourage him. My son has been awarded 18 merit badges, earned 2 (but not awarded yet), and has 10 in progress. Five of the 10 could be easily finished in a week and he is working on those. He has the possibility to earn an additional 8-15 merit badges this year (2012).
kc9901mom
Star

Postby kc9901mom » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:13 am

My son's plan is:
1. Complete the merit badges at Summer/Winter Camps and Merit Badge Colleges/Universities/Midways/Fairs for which his District does not have a Counselor.
2. Complete the merit badges that have a time requirement between the years of 2012-2013 (and early 2014).
3. Make a plan to complete the merit badges that will be difficult to earn because of geographic (or other) reasons. For example, talk to the SPL and PLC about possibly having Winter Camp at OKPIK or Philmont during Christmas Break or Spring Break and also maybe attend Summer Camp at Camp Hale in Oklahoma to earn the Snow Sports Merit Badge. I told him that if his Troop doesn't want to cooperate then we, as a family, will plan a trip to New Mexico or Colorado during Winter so that he can earn the Snow Sports Merit Badge.
4. Save the merit badges that are really easy for last and/or mix them up with the hard ones.
5. Have all 130 merit badges (or more) completed before he turns 17 so that if new merit badges come out he has time to complete the badge.

My son's only concern is that BSA will release a new merit badge right before (the month or day before) he turns 18.
kc9901mom
Star

Postby lifescoutforlife » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:53 am

I wish him the best of luck earning them all! My oldest that earned them all had a merit badge come out ( Search & Rescue ) 38 days before his 18th birthday but was right on it and finished it 19 days after it came out. My younger son 13 1/2 has about 70 MB's already but has no interest in earning them all.
If you don't take care of the Cub Scouts there will be no Boy Scouts!
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby kc9901mom » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:59 am

Thank you and congratulations to your son!. My oldest will make Eagle before he turns 14 but unfortunately he will not be able to earn all of the Palms (unless requirements change). My youngest on the other hand is a different a story. He could earn all of the Palms because I'm sure that he will earn Eagle before he turns 13. He just turned 11 in May and will earn First Class in October (1 month before his 1 year mark as a Boy Scout). My youngest wants to be Patrol Leader and he already has an idea of what he wants to do for his Eagle Project.

My oldest son also wants to earn all of the Nova and Supernova Awards. He has already earned the Nova Shoot Award according to me and BSA but the AC of our Troop disagrees. See Nova Awards for a discussion of this issue. The AC is saying that my son cannot use any of the merit badges that he earned prior to the date that the Nova and Supernova Awards Program was officially available (in other words, the Nova Awards did not become available to all Scouts until July 1, 2012 so in the opinion of our AC any merit badges earned prior to July 1, 2012 cannot be used for the Nova Awards).

BTW - if any parent or scouter is interested I have an excel spreadsheet that I am using to track both of my boys' progress in earning merit badges. I set it up so that the columns have all of the Merit Badge Events available followed by the years. This is a really useful tool for a scout who wants to earn all of the merit badges especially for those scouts who live in big cities where several MBUs are available. Where we live, we have the option of attending up to 5 MBUs and some MBUs offer merit badges that others don't.For this purpose, I put in a sort feature.
kc9901mom
Star

Postby kc9901mom » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:23 pm

About the spreadsheet - I set it up and my husband put in the sort feature. I showed the spreadsheet to my oldest son, showed him how to use it, and showed him where to go to find it so that he can use it whenever he wants.
kc9901mom
Star

Postby RWSmith » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:52 pm

kc9901mom wrote:About the spreadsheet - I set it up and my husband put in the sort feature. I showed the spreadsheet to my oldest son, showed him how to use it, and showed him where to go to find it so that he can use it whenever he wants.

Please e-mail me a copy of your spreadsheet... I'd like to take a look at it.

FYI... see also: http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Eagle_Palms#Palm_Tracker
RWSmith
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Awards and Recognitions