Is there an award for getting all the merit badges?

All non-advancement related awards and recognitions. (Anything except Ranks, Merit Badges, and Palms.)

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby lifescoutforlife » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:40 am

My son starting taking Theater MB and after being in "The sound of Music" wants in be in every play that comes to town. He just finished MB # 70 and still has a firm grip on his goal. It is nice to try different fields to see what you like or dislike, I always wanted to be a machinist till I was one, I hated it. But now I have a job that I truely enjoy.
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby scouter01 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:05 pm

WVBeaver05 wrote:
AquilaNegra wrote:There isn't anything wrong with learning about something they have no interest in just to get the badge. As Dallin found with birdwatching, they may discover a passion they didn't know existed. Or they may find they never want to do it again.

I agree completely!! This is a point that I bring out in almost those exact words in Adult Leader Training as well as with Scouts.

As a general rule, MBs don't go very deeply into most subjects, but they do give a fairly good exposure to the subjects. Enough to know if it is something that you have some interest in (even though you thought you didn't) and want to pursue - at least to find out more about. Or, equally (or pehaps more importantly) it is good to know things that you don't really like.

YiS

I also agree, but if you are taking it just to say : I have done all the merit badges", then thats not really helpful. YOu should have at least aninterest in the general topic of the MB, and not just choose it for bragging rites. defeats the perpose IMHO
scouter01
Eagle

Postby cescout » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:11 pm

I think that there should be, someone who has the dedication to earn all of thoes MB, that is a lot of work!!
CE-SCOUT
cescout
Star

Merit Badges

Postby riverwalk » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:14 am

A Unit or group might want to recognize them. There should not be any official BSA award for it. It would be a lot of work for sure.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby OldGreyBear » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:00 pm

Way back when the Crew first started, it seemed like the young ladies were the most on the ball and organized part of the Crew. We had a Court of Honor at the beginning of the third year and I presented the 2 top ladies with the inaugral " Sacajawea Award" for showing the men the way.

It was a Sacajawea coin on a leather thong with a few wooden beads on each side. 4 years latter both young ladies are quite often seen wearing it, even though the leather has been replaced quite a bit. Unit devised recognitions can mean more than most
OldGreyBear
Ephesians 6:4
Fathers, do not irritate and provoke your children to anger [do not exasperate them to resentment], but rear them [tenderly] in the training and discipline and the counsel and admonition of the Lord.
OldGreyBear
Eagle

Re: Merit Badges

Postby scoutaholic » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:04 am

riverwalk wrote:... There should not be any official BSA award for it. ...

I think anyone who is willing to work that hard for such an accomplishment should get an award for it. Why should it not be an official BSA award?
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby jr56 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:48 pm

Actually, the information you have gained by earning each and every merit badge is your award.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby AquilaNegra » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:55 pm

I also agree, but if you are taking it just to say : I have done all the merit badges", then thats not really helpful. YOu should have at least an interest in the general topic of the MB, and not just choose it for bragging rights. defeats the purpose IMHO

Scouter, you don't necessarily KNOW that you have an interest until you've been exposed to it. #1 son took American Labor because it was the only badge that fit into his schedule. He wasn't looking forward to it, but it turns out he LOVED it. While I may not necessarily have agreed with the point of view of the union steward who taught the class, #1 said seeing another point of view really made him think and reason out why he believed some of the things he did.

I do think that a Scout who simply looks to Merit Badge Mills to gain every badge he can is completely contrary to Scouting. It is, however, the MILLS that are the problem, not the Scouts.
AquilaNegra

Postby Quailman » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:32 pm

jr56 wrote:Actually, the information you have gained by earning each and every merit badge is your award.

That and a four pound merit badge sash.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby jr56 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:23 pm

True, maybe more like 5 pounds. But what a bunch of knowledge.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Re: Is there an award for getting all the merit badges?

Postby muletrain » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:27 pm

Just want to say congratulations to your son and your family for their dedication. It takes a lot of family support and sacrifice to help a young man achieve this goal. It would be nice to see more scouting families with that much dedication to their scouting sons.
muletrain
Scout

Postby milominderbinder2 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:18 pm

Thanks for bringing this thread back up.

I just read the great article in Scouting Magazine about the Scout who earned all the Merit Badges.

Coincidentally, the sash is exactly the right size for 123 merit badges.

- Craig
milominderbinder2
Eagle

Postby lifescoutforlife » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:21 pm

muletrain wrote:Just want to say congratulations to your son and your family for their dedication. It takes a lot of family support and sacrifice to help a young man achieve this goal. It would be nice to see more scouting families with that much dedication to their scouting sons.

It is no easy trask to do this, support from the family has to be there. My son is after the same goal, wheather he makes it or not is up to him. He is a very active scout and OA member and doesn't miss very many outings that the troop or OA goes to. Just last night he figured out that all the merit badges will fit on his sash so he took a piece of paper and cut it out the same size as a merit badge and taped it to the bottom of the back side of his sash, on the paper circle it says "my goal". Right now he stands at 76 merit badges and is going to camp a few weeks this summer. His goal for this year is by the end of 2008 have around 95 to 100 finished. Driving him around to all the places that he needs to go drives me crazy enough, but as long as he goes after this goal I will support him in it. Dallin the one that this thread started about is his reminder that it can be done.
If you don't take care of the Cub Scouts there will be no Boy Scouts!
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby milominderbinder2 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:03 pm

How many palms are they earning?

- Craig
milominderbinder2
Eagle

Postby scoutaholic » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:04 pm

milominderbinder2 wrote:How many palms are they earning?

- Craig

If they complete their Eagle Board of Review before their 13th Birthday, and time all the palms right, they could potentially earn 20 palms (7 bronze, 7 gold, and 6 silver). Of course, they wouldn't wear all 20. They would wear 6 Silver and 1 Gold.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby milominderbinder2 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:32 am

What is the most palms ever earned?

- Craig
milominderbinder2
Eagle

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:32 am

Not sure, but there's now a site that shows the Scouts who have already accomplished this -- all 24 of them http://MeritBadgeKnot.com
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby pipestone1991 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:16 pm

AquilaNegra2 wrote:Not sure, but there's now a site that shows the Scouts who have already accomplished this -- all 24 of them http://MeritBadgeKnot.com

Wow.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby lifescoutforlife » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:32 am

I see the list is up to 36 scouts now, 3 of them are brothers from the same troop.
If you don't take care of the Cub Scouts there will be no Boy Scouts!
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby pohsuwed » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:47 pm

Thank you for noticing www.meritbadgeknot.com. The list is now up to 39 individuals with another awaiting verification. If you know of others who have earned all the merit badges, please let them know about the list as well as our petition that we will be submitting to BSA to recognize this accomplishment (or similar accomplishment, i.e. four silver palms--we don't know exactly how this idea will end up). Thank you!
pohsuwed
Scout

PreviousNext

Return to Awards and Recognitions