Is there an award for getting all the merit badges?

All non-advancement related awards and recognitions. (Anything except Ranks, Merit Badges, and Palms.)

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: Is there an award for getting all the merit badges?

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:15 pm

lifescoutforlife wrote:Just to give everyone a update my son finished # 100 yesterday and still has 44 months left before he turns 18. His first goal was 100 but after about a year into it he changed his goal to earning them all.

Send me an update on what he needs. I'm starting to plan my 2010 MBC on Jan 9 and Feb 6 2010.

Also we had a scout this year from Frederick MD who had 113 MBs when he arrived and we were able to help him get to 115.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Quailman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:33 pm

A young man in the greater Houston area earned all the MBs. The Houston Chronicle reports that his final one was shotgun shooting.
“It was a lot of work, a lot more than I was expecting, but I got a lot out of it,” Nathaniel said. “At the very least, I've got a lot of memories. But more than that, I've got a little knowledge about a lot of stuff. If somebody brings up almost any subject, I can talk about it. And I was glad to see that I could set a goal and accomplish it.”
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby jr56 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:55 pm

Quite an accomplishment, when you consider the degree of skill you have to achieve for some of the merit badges. My son got 100, but there was no way he could get all of them.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby lifescoutforlife » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:37 am

Congrats Nathaniel on getting them all. My son stands at 114 right now and will not turn 15 till the end of Sept. People at first said there was no way he would get them all. Now that he is getting close he has a lot of supporters.
If you don't take care of the Cub Scouts there will be no Boy Scouts!
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby lifescoutforlife » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:43 am

If all goes well my son will finish # 129 on Sunday. He has to meet tonight with the Law merit badge councilor and finish up his last 2 requirements then this weekend he and 5 or 6 others are going for their scuba certification and scuba merit badge. He and the boy that this post started over got to meet each other at Jambo, at the time they both had earned 121 merit badges. in 2006 their were only 121 now there is 129.
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby lifescoutforlife » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:51 am

He did finish scuba on Sunday and now has all 129. The newspaper has contacted him and he will be in our local newspaper in the next week or so. Thanks to everyone out there that helped in any way from the 96 different councilors that he took merit badges from, to everyone that pointed him in the right direction of where the badge was being offered and to all people that supported him along the way.
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:26 pm

I tried to help but you wouldn't come to Carlisle. :lol: :lol:

Congrats to your son...now he can work on his EP and finish his POR. 8)
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby lifescoutforlife » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:43 am

smtroop168 wrote:I tried to help but you wouldn't come to Carlisle. :lol: :lol:

If your classes would have not lined up with wrestling tournaments that I had to run I'm sure we would have ended up there. :D
He did have to take 2 merit badges at jambo which were Dentistry and Architecture, they offered all 4 of the 2010 merit badges at our summer camp so he picked them up there along with Scouting Heritage. The last one like I said before was scuba and he got certified and got to keep his fins, mask and snorkel when it was over. He just had a BOR for his 7th palm and is our Lodge Chief so he still has his hands full. Like I said before THANKS to everyone that helped in any way.
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby Bill Pitcher » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:49 am

Wow! What a great accomplishment. Congrats to your son. Soon, I hope, he "soars as an Eagle!"
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:58 am

lifescoutforlife wrote:
smtroop168 wrote:I tried to help but you wouldn't come to Carlisle. :lol: :lol:

If your classes would have not lined up with wrestling tournaments that I had to run I'm sure we would have ended up there. :D
He did have to take 2 merit badges at jambo which were Dentistry and Architecture, they offered all 4 of the 2010 merit badges at our summer camp so he picked them up there along with Scouting Heritage. The last one like I said before was scuba and he got certified and got to keep his fins, mask and snorkel when it was over. He just had a BOR for his 7th palm and is our Lodge Chief so he still has his hands full. Like I said before THANKS to everyone that helped in any way.

If he had just waited he could have done Inventing and Scouting Heritage at this year's MBC. :)

When does he turn 18? He might have the chance to do Robotics.

Also how did he do Geocaching? His sash will be incomplete when they take his picture since they can'r get the actual MB patch out. :evil:
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby lifescoutforlife » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:39 am

He is getting his picture taken for the newspaper tonight to be in either Fridays or Saturdays paper. And yes he will be missing geocaching merit badge but he has merit badges on both sides of his sash so you cant see them all at the same time anyways. He will turn 16 of the 28th of this month so if they get Robotics out before Sept 2012 he will be able to take it. :?: :lol: :?:
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby lambeausam » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:59 pm

Congratulations to your son! With knowledge in quite an array of subjects, he will be armed for Trivial Pursuit games!
lambeausam
Life

Postby lifescoutforlife » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:20 am

Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby biglou » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:03 pm

Hey John,

How's about getting your son into Venturing? That could be his next challenge! I am sure there is plenty of help here.

BIG LOU
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Postby lifescoutforlife » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:34 am

Our Troop just started Ship 8, we have 10 (youth) members and are working on rebuilding a sail boat that was given to us, we have raised some money and things are starting to come together. We hope to have it in the water by 2012 which is 100 years of Sea Scouts. He has put together his next years summer and he has the whole summer about filled with a OA trip to Northern Tier, then the Summit for a week then our camp for 2 weeks then a trip with the council to Philmont. We do have a couple crews but they are not very active.
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:28 am

Congrats LFL. Mine is right behind yours (#129). I have to say that I breathed a huge sigh of relief as he finished Inventing, 2 days before his 18th birthday. Thought we were done until #2 pipes up asking when he can sign up for SCUBA. :-D
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby lifescoutforlife » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:14 am

Congrats! I know it is journey that my has a lot of memories for you and your son. My younger son has not yet talked about earning them all but he has almost 30 and has only been in for 9 months.
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:33 am

lifescoutforlife wrote:Congrats! I know it is journey that my has a lot of memories for you and your son. My younger son has not yet talked about earning them all but he has almost 30 and has only been in for 9 months.

Not to be picky here but does anyone else seem to feel that 30 MBs in 9 months is a bit much?
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby RWSmith » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:11 pm

No. Absolutely not. It depends, to some degree, on the "ease" of the MBs; but, more importantly, the motivation, available time (and organizational skills) of the Scout and, of course, the availability (number and time) of MBCs.

I mean, yeah, one MB every nine days is definitely much higher than typical. But, if the Scout is motivated, has a goal and a plan... AND if the adults turned the possibilities into opportunities, there's no reason why more Scouts couldn't be earning one MB every two weeks.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:20 pm

I'm glad he's working hard on MBs but is he a 1st class yet? One every 9 days would mean he would have 4 before he could become a Tenderfoot by meeting the 30 day PT requirement. I don't have too many 11 year olds with very good organizational skills either.

I had a scout come to one of our MB colleges. Scout was 17 + and he had 114 MBs already but we were offering 2 he didn't have yet. Mom pulled out the day planner and made sure we could fit in his? schedule.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

PreviousNext

Return to Awards and Recognitions