Hornaday Badge

All non-advancement related awards and recognitions. (Anything except Ranks, Merit Badges, and Palms.)

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Hornaday Badge

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:31 pm

Dear all,

I just recently earned the Hornaday Badge and I would like to know a rough estimate of scouts that earn this. And i'm willing to shed any light and questions about this award program. If your evening thinking about doing this award program i'm willing to give you the real facts about this award and what they are looking for.

MC

Postby Guneukitschik » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:20 pm

I think you should check with National or even your local council office.
Their counts are probably broken down into the various Hornaday Awards.
...it's not a popular award (due in part to the large amount of work to earn it) so I doubt there are that many....my Guess would be around a few thousand per year.

www.scouting.org
Guneukitschik

Postby dparker » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:24 pm

Per the following site, about 1100: http://www.scouting.org/awards/hornaday/earnmedal.html
David Parker
Committee Member, Troop 92
Toloma Lodge 64
dparker
Star

Postby Billvann » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:10 am

dparker wrote:Per the following site, about 1100: http://www.scouting.org/awards/hornaday/earnmedal.html

That estimate is in total since the award was introduced almost one hundred years ago. It is indeed a rare award and those that earn it should be very proud of their dedication and accomplishmant.
Willie Vannerson
ASM Troop 149
McHenry, IL
Billvann
First Class

Postby Rick Tyler » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:30 pm

Billvann wrote: That estimate is in total since the award was introduced almost one hundred years ago. It is indeed a rare award and those that earn it should be very proud of their dedication and accomplishmant.

No fooling. I hadn't looked at the complete requirements before. The Hornaday Silver Medal is considerably more work than Eagle Scout.

I showed the requirements to my 15-year-old-almost-an-Eagle-Scout son and his reaction was something like

Son: Wow. I can't believe anyone has ever earned it.
Dad: Do you think you'd like to tackle something this challenging?
Son: No way!

Oh, well...
Rick Tyler
Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 575, Chief Seattle Council
OA, Wood Badge, Merit Badge Guy, &c.
Rick Tyler
Life

Postby Guneukitschik » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:38 pm

Does the 1100 count include all of the various levels of the award?

I knew the award is difficult to earn however, I would have thought that there were more than that? Considering there are over 49,000 Eagles per year.
Guneukitschik

Postby Billvann » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:14 pm

Guneukitschik wrote:Does the 1100 count include all of the various levels of the award?

I knew the award is difficult to earn however, I would have thought that there were more than that? Considering there are over 49,000 Eagles per year.

The site doesn't state if it's a combined total, but I would hazard a guess that it does represent all awards since there a likely very few of the higher level awarded.

It is difficult and it also only appeals to a small percentage of scouts. I have only met a few scouts who were so interested in conservation and the environment that they chose to earn as many related maerit badges as possible. And none of these boys had the desire to put in the extra time and effort to earn the Hornaday Award. There was one who might have, but I was not aware of the award or the requirements prior to his aging out.

Perhaps the Troopmaster software and other pacjages could add the requirements in like they do for the World Conservation Award, which often is earned by Scouts unaward that they have qualified simply by completing the requisite merit badges. :wink:
Willie Vannerson
ASM Troop 149
McHenry, IL
Billvann
First Class

Postby Guneukitschik » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:30 pm

We have an ASM in our Troop that has earned the award as a youth.
I'll ask him and see if he has any stats for the award?
Guneukitschik

Postby Firefish » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:00 pm

where can I find the requirements for this award?
Firefish

Postby PaulSWolf » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:44 pm

Firefish wrote:where can I find the requirements for this award?

http://usscouts.org/advance/boyscout/Hornaday.html
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Hornaday

Postby riverwalk » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:18 pm

The scouting.org site is one of the Sites I use often. I think it might address most questions of this type. IMHO, it isn't earned very often, but not just because it may be some work. I think that such conservation efforts only appeal to a portion of the Members, or opportunities may not be heavily promoted. :)
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby West » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:11 pm

A big part is that the award is just not well known. I found out about it at 17 years 8 months. A little late to get going on it. That and it some areas the oppertunites for the projects are somewhat limited.
West
Life

Postby RWSmith » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:46 pm

I seem to recall the average number of Hornaday Awards (all types) runs right around 50 per year. Yeah, that's right... just 50. And according to the National BSA website, "Only slightly more than a thousand medals have been awarded over the past 70 years." (Emphasis added.) That would convert to an average of about 15 medals per year.

Scouts can earn the Hornaday Badge (and Certificate), the Bronze Hornaday Medal (and Certificate and Square Knot) or the Silver Hornaday Medal (and Certificate and Square Knot).

Adults can NOT earn this award; but, an unlimited number may be nominated and awarded the Gold Hornaday Badge (and Certificate) each year. Only a maximum of six (6) adult Scouters per year may be awarded the Gold Hornaday Medal (and Certificate and Square Knot).

I know one person who has earned the Silver Medal; he is also an Eagle Scout. I also know another Scouter, who is a doctor in real life; and I truly believe that he will, no doubt, someday be awarded the Gold Medal.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby T305TG » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:46 pm

IM SORRY BUT I HAVE NO LCUE WHAT THE HORNADAY BADGE IS... CAN SOMEONE PLEASE FILL ME IN
Chris
First Class Scout
Troop Guide
Troop #305
T305TG
Second Class

Hornaday

Postby riverwalk » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:52 pm

:) Hello "305", check out some of the sites mentioned in the preceding posts. They should be helpful, or look up William T. Hornaday (think that's right). Hornaday created this Award program in 1917, to recognize conservation efforts related to the natural sciences. But my comments can't do justice to it. Or, look at the many sites describing the "knots" of BSA. I refer to the Uniform knots that represent various Awards. 8)
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Return to Awards and Recognitions