BSA Lifeguard- new requirements?

All non-advancement related awards and recognitions. (Anything except Ranks, Merit Badges, and Palms.)

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

BSA Lifeguard- new requirements?

Postby Swim4lyfe » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:41 pm

I recently took the BSA Lifeguard program at summer camp, and I have a few questions on some unrequired topics that should be required. Firstly, how come the Swimming and First Aid merit badges are not required for taking the course? Obviously a leader would not be able to complete the merit badges, but they should be able to show knowledge of Swimming and First Aid equivalent to the merit badges. A second thing that surprised me is although CPR is required for final certification, First Aid certification is not. Why not?
Swim4lyfe
Star

Postby 9009scoutmaster » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:18 am

CPR certification is either by the American Red Cross or American Heart Association. What orginization would the First Aid Certification be from.

We in Scouting have a First Aid MB which is basic first aid. Also other merit badges have first Aid requirements such as Emergency Prep, wilderness survival, backpacking, athletics, Fishing, just to name a few. That is why the first Aid MB is not a requirement to take BSA Lifeguard. The first aid MB is basic, then we have first aid requirements for the activities that require them.
1978 Eagle Scout
Former SM
GHL District Chattahoochee Council
SR-668
BEAVERS BUILD
9009scoutmaster
Life

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:45 am

When I was Aquatics Director in the late 60's and early 70's. Swimming,Lifesaving,Rowing,Canoeing and First AId Merit Badges were required Before taking BSA Life Guard. Adults that took BSA LG were expected to be "able" to meet these same requirements but without actuall taking the MB. Actually BSA Life Guard today is not much more than what Lifesaving was back then. Lifesaving was watered Down a lot when it became an optional required. AS did Swimming.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Swim4lyfe » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:30 am

9009scoutmaster wrote:CPR certification is either by the American Red Cross or American Heart Association. What orginization would the First Aid Certification be from.

We in Scouting have a First Aid MB which is basic first aid. Also other merit badges have first Aid requirements such as Emergency Prep, wilderness survival, backpacking, athletics, Fishing, just to name a few. That is why the first Aid MB is not a requirement to take BSA Lifeguard. The first aid MB is basic, then we have first aid requirements for the activities that require them.

American Heart Association does First Aid certification.

I like wagionvigil's old plan of having swimming, lifesaving, rowing, canoeing, and first aid merit badges being prerequisites for BSA Lifeguard. Either E. Prep or Lifesaving would be good required merit badges as well as both are used in Lifeguarding. In fact, I did Lifesaving alongside Lifeguard during certification.
Swim4lyfe
Star

First

Postby riverwalk » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:39 am

And of course, the long standing agency for First Aid, is the American Red Cross.

This ol' horse wants to do the Lifeguard thing again, but I have to work up to it, haha.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Re: BSA Lifeguard- new requirements?

Postby WVBeaver05 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:02 am

A couple of weeks ago we were at summer camp and my son completed BSA Lifeguard. (I considered requalifying with him but decided that my 2 recently crossed over Scouts needed me more.) We did discuss the requirements that they completed.

I have looked up the current requirements and I recall (basically - hey, it was a long time ago) how things used to be. I see some of the comments from wagionvigil here too.

So, the question: Does anyone still have a copy of the "really old" requirements so we can compare? I recognize many of the current requirements as things that I did -- but I took a lot of lifesaving courses and which was in which is a bit fuzzy. I do recall that swimming MB was required before lifesaving, and I think before rowing and canoeing. Lifesaving and rowing were for sure required before Scout Lifeguard (that's what it used to be called). Canoeing may have been - I know I had it.

Anyone have a list of the late 60's or early 70's requirements?

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:36 am

I do but finding them is another story :lol:
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby WVBeaver05 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:09 am

Same here. I may have them - anything is possible.

I do have my old WSI stuff and some old MB pamphlets. Don't seem to have my Red Cross Sr. Lifesaving stuff.

Oh well. Just wondering how they compare.

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:14 am

I still have an Aquatics Instructors Camp school book from 1970 somewhere :lol:
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:58 am

Here are the Scout Lifeguard requirements from the 1969 BSA requirements book:

1. Present evidence of physical fitness for aquatics as shown by a current medical examination certificate
2. Hold the following merit badges and be ready for a review of any of the requirements: Swimming, Lifesaving and Rowing
3. Explain the plan for protecting a unit swimming party using Safe Swim Defense and be familiar with the Coaching and Commitment plan for qualifiying adult leadership of unit swims
4. Know and be able to explain plan of long-term camp waterfront protection including buddy and check plans
5. Submit evidence that he has served satisfactorily as a lifeguard on four occasions either at camp or on unit swims
6. Under safe conditions swim ½ mile using any swimming stroke or combination of strokes
7. Throw 15-inch ring buoy equipped with 60 feet of 3/16-inch line between two marks 5 feet apart, 30 feet from throwing mark, three times in 1 minute, recoil and leave ready for use
8. With a skilled oarsman rowing, act as a coxswain of a lifeboat. Using a pole, approach a “struggling” person and then assist him out of water
9. Answer 10 questions selected by counselor on waterfront safety and rescue methods
10. Instruct one or more swimmers for a total of 3 hours in the merit badge requirements in Rowing or Swimming or Lifesaving: OR instruct one or more nonswimmers for a total of 3 hours in swimming
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:09 am

There was a First aid requirement somewhere in there. ALso 1/2 mile is 880 yards and they are only requiring 400 yeards now soon to be 550 yards.
I will look for my 1970 camp school book.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:29 am

Didn't see one. I typed it right out of the 1969 book. The 1968 version says Hold the Red Cross Junior or Senior Lifesaving Certificate (so maybe First Aid was covered???) or the Lifesaving MB. It also has 1/4 mile swim and the removing street clothes twice requirement (maybe this was in the Lifesaving MB so when they required the MB in 1969, they took this one out since it was covered).
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:14 am

Going to have to start looking in the Attic. Might take a month or so :lol:
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:27 am

Check the box that has a picture of you and Arthur Eldred shaking hands when he received his Eagle Medal in 1912. :lol: :lol: :lol:
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:30 am

Ha! Ha! When you coming to the cave? :twisted:
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby cballman » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:54 am

I have heard that they were going to start using new Requirements this year. Does anybody have a copy that they can either post or send me. I have to recertify this year. I would like to see the new ones just in case I need to practice a little bit more on my endurance.
Charlie tha BEAR with issues
"if you aint a BEAR your snackfood"
cballman
Site Admin

Postby smtroop168 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:21 am

You have to swim for 20 days and nights in a tent. :lol: :lol:
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:07 pm

smtroop168 wrote:You have to swim for 20 days and nights in a tent. :lol: :lol:

And it has to be one that YOU have pitched :D
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Re: First

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:09 pm

riverwalk wrote:And of course, the long standing agency for First Aid, is the American Red Cross.

They charge $80 apiece here for the course. I think $$ is one reason why it's not standardized. Our local Fire Department does a great job for free.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Re: First

Postby alex gregory » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:39 pm

AquilaNegra2 wrote:
riverwalk wrote:And of course, the long standing agency for First Aid, is the American Red Cross.

They charge $80 apiece here for the course. I think $$ is one reason why it's not standardized. Our local Fire Department does a great job for free.

The issue is not whether or not you think you know CPR, it's whether or not a stranger can recognize you as knowing CPR. The American Red Cross certification, even at $80, is still the "gold-standard". Your local fire department may indeed do a great job, but I'll recognize the qualifications of a lifeguard with a current Red Cross CPR certification before I accept a note from your local chief (my regrets to the chief).

Your $80 quote seems a little off. The Oregon Trail Chapter charges only $25 for the full 8-hour "When Help is Delayed" First Aid Merit Badge program, and adults are more than welcome to particiapte and receive both Red Cross First Class and CPR (adult/child) certifications. The cost for the regular 6-hour adult/child/infant CPR course is only $49, and $32 for annual CPR re-certification.

Do yourself a favor, take the Red Cross class.
alex gregory
Eagle

Next

Return to Awards and Recognitions