Den Chief Award

All non-advancement related awards and recognitions. (Anything except Ranks, Merit Badges, and Palms.)

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Den Chief Award

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:31 am

#1 wants to become Den Chief, and his SM and SPL are all for it.

Requirement 1 reads: "1. Serve the pack faithfully for 1 full year."

Our feeder pack only meets throughout the school year -- no June/July meetings, and the only August one is a combined campout with the Scouts. What's your take on this? Is it split service? Or, if he begins in May, does it end in a calendar year from then?
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Re: Den Chief Award

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:03 am

Does the Pack to any summer time activities? Day Camp? Picnic? etc. to qualify for the summer time pack award?If they do not he is ok IMO doing school year. YOu have to be flexible at times and this is one of them.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby FrankJ » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:31 am

I would say that it is a calendar year. If he is available during the summer, but the pack doesn't meet, he should still get credit.

So if he starts in May, it ends in May.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby kwildman » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:43 am

The pack doesnt cease to be a pack in the summer if they don't have activities. If the youth is available to help but isnt needed he still gets credit. The requirement is to "serve" the pack and that does not mean that the youth has to attend every single pack event or meeting.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby jr56 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:35 pm

I feel that the "year" would be the year defined by the pack. If it is just operating during the school year, than the school year would be it.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:52 pm

Thanks! I will let his SM see these. He'll be the first Den Chief so nobody is sure :-). They *do* have an August campout, joint with the Troop. I hadn't thought about that. Replies greatly appreciated. Thank you for your wisdom.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Return to Awards and Recognitions