Adult Awards, revisited

All non-advancement related awards and recognitions. (Anything except Ranks, Merit Badges, and Palms.)

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Adult Awards, revisited

Postby Beagle Scout » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:18 pm

I was reading the old discussion about adult awards and it got me to thinking, which may be pretty dangerous.

The award system is biased very heavily toward the Cub Scout side of things.

A Cub Scout Leader can start off and earn the Tiger Cub Den Leader Training Award, follow that with the Den Leader Training Award and the Webelos Den Leader Training Award. If he sticks around while sons two and three go through the program, he can also earn the Cub Scouter Training award. If he gets tired of being a Den Leader, he can step up to Cubmaster and earn the CubMaster Award. That's five awards for Cub Scouting.

A Scoutmaster can earn only three: The Scoutmaster Award of Merit, the Scout Leader Training Award and the Scouter Key.

Of course the poor fools who sit on the committees can only earn one for each program.
Beagle Scout

Postby teepeeayy » Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:16 pm

Well, there's the Religious knot, although its not really "earned" in the traditional "do 5 of the following..." ways.

there's also a knot if you earned Arrow of Light as a scout.

Neither of these are Pack or Troop specific.
Terry
teepeeayy
First Class

Postby Beagle Scout » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:52 am

teepeeayy, it's true that adults can wear the religious knot, AOL knot and Eagle knot, they don't affect the Cub Scout bias of the awards in general.
Beagle Scout

Postby commish3 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:52 pm

Are you saying you think it is "unfair" that a Cub Scout Leader might have more knots on their uniform than an ther type of volunteer?
commish3

Postby Beagle Scout » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:40 am

If you want to bring fairness into the equation, is it fair?
Beagle Scout

Postby commish3 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:53 am

I don't see it as "unfair".

The Cub Scout Program is a separate division of the BSA as is Boy Scouting, Venturing and other divisions. Each has its own volunteer committees that determine, program, training, resources, advancement, etc.

The fact that each program is different yet related would lead me to expect that elements of each would be different yet related. All the programs use knots for adult recognition. Each division determines what those will be and for what purpose.

How does this affect you negatively Beagle?
commish3

Postby Lynda J » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:58 am

Iwent through the entire Cub Program. From Tiger toWeb II. Yes I earned the knots. But as an adult volunteer earning the knots was not the reason I was working in the scouting program.
If an adult in working with scouting with an attitude of what I can earn or how can I be rewarded they are in the program for the wrong reason.
If I never got one knot of award I would still be in scouting. Because the biggest reward I get is watching the boys grow and develope into responsible, productive, and well rounded young men.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:30 pm

Any adult that is in scouting for recognition is in it for the wrong reason.Us old timers remember when the only awards were the Training award and the Scouters Key. If I got an award It was not because I went after it, Except for Eagle. There are two awards I have that mean more to me than anything else. Vigil Honor aand Our Lodges Thunderbird Award. Why? Because the Youth picked me.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

adult awards

Postby cballman » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:45 pm

I know have earned a total of seven awards and yes I am proud to wear them because for the last three years on cubscout roundtable staff I am asked how to earn these and beleive me people would like to be reconigzed. also it helps to look at other people and say "man I would love to be able to earn those and wear them" but to look at other people for wearing these and putting them down then we need to look at how we can EARN these AND BENEFIT the boys. to me the awards were just a secondery thing. the Kids getting there awards and doing skits and just learning scout skill was first. so if your jealous then IMHO get of your butt and get trained then try to be the best leader you troop or pack has seen.
cballman

Postby Lynda J » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:27 pm

When my folks were working with scouting there was no such thing as Adult Awards. We all 17 girls graduated from highschool together their only request of us was "for each year they gave to us, we gave back one year". Now over 40 years later guess what. To the girl all of us are still involved in some type of work with kids. Some as professionals some as volunteers. But we gave back each year and then some.
Yes it was nice getting the knots. I did not turn in the paper work for them. Our Cub Master did that. I did not know I was receiving it.
Had a mother tell me one time that it was such an unselfish act that I was working with the boys. I told her it was a totally selfish. That I got more from the boys than I gave. I get energy, new ideas, challenges, and the joy of seeing a boy light his first fire on his own. The look in those eyes is all the reward I need.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby Beagle Scout » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:18 pm

" I did not turn in the paper work for them. Our Cub Master did that. I did not know I was receiving it."

Please don't take offense but I've observed that in packs where the Cubmaster does all the paperwork for the adult awards, requirements such as attending Roundtable or Pow Wow are often ignored.
Beagle Scout

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:30 am

These boards are not to get personal and if they do the post will be pulled.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby scoutmasterbob » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:39 am

You have left out a couple of Awards.

The Scoutmaster Award of Merit, District Award of merit.

I dont think it is about how many knots you have, the thing is, is that you have comitted yourself to scouting and your are willing to put in the time and effort to earn the knots.
Bob Torkelson
Scoutmaster Troop 538
www.wx5troop538.homestead.com
Roundtable Staff since 1994
Eagle-1983
Woodsbadge-2000
Fox Patrol
Live The Oath!
scoutmasterbob
Star

Postby Beagle Scout » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:53 am

"You have left out a couple of Awards."

I did include the SM Award of Merit but I deliberately excluded the District Award of Merit because that can be awarded to anyone.
Beagle Scout

Postby RWSmith » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:22 pm

Differing opinions are welcome and encouraged here. We all also understand that misunderstandings can and will happen. So, comments which could be interpreted as negative, in a general sense, are usually well tolerated here. However, posts containing negative comments about another member of this board, or towards one or more unamed persons, will be edited or deleted. Period. (And again, I am not referring to posts which could be interpreted as negative, in a general sense. No, that's not what I mean.)

If you have a problem with a user's comments (or behavior), please do not respond to it directly, especially negatively. (At least, not in here. Flaming is flaming; whether it's served or returned, it's still flaming.) Instead, send an e-mail to one of the Moderators, or to the Administrator.

If you have a problem with me (or any other moderator), the adminstrator, or any of this board's policies, please refer to one or more of the following:

RWSmith
Site Admin

Scout Leader Awards

Postby nighthawk » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:18 am

Yes I have several awards I have received in scouting. I have the District Award of Merit, Silver Beaver, training awards, and the Scouter's Key. There are 3 awards that treasure the most because they came from youth members. The first came from my scouts in my troop with the Scoutmaster's Award of Merit. The second came when I was chosen by the youth members in the Order of the Arrow with the Vigil nomination. The third was the Founders Award in the Order of the Arrow. All 3 awards were presented by BSA youth and not adults. Yes I proudly wear 10 leader knots on my uniform.
nighthawk

Knot sure where to start.

Postby riverwalk » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:08 pm

:) True, it's possible that some Scouters in Cubs could be recognized (and should be) for the Awards represented by the knots mentioned. I only know a few people with the right opportunity to have done so, but when I see the knots I simply recognize their importance to the whole Scouting program. Some Scouters more in the Boy Scout area of operations, will have these same knots, because they did the deed and are still there for the kids. Some of us never even put in for some "earned" recognitions. Today I'm more aware of what all Recognitions are possible, and have become more interested in making sure I document what/where I was, and that's okay 'cause I'm still working with Units (and always hope to be involved).

If a Cubmaster is not keeping up with one's attendance at these important Activities, then the individual Scouter or someone should. Roundtables and Pow Wows are examples of where one learns how to keep their home Unit alive and well. It's understandable that most Scouters are involved for their kid(s) alone and that's commendable. But for a Unit to survive and help others, it must survive and help others.....a "loop" of a different color, haha.We all see wonderful and dedicated Scouters, with an interest in the Program's objectives. We also see Leaders that miss some of the point, if they don't recognize a Scouter. Packs usually seem better about recognizing Leaders for their service, and others for their contributions. Even the District level people and the Professionals know how important it is to recognize the people doing the work. In the big picture (IMHO) it matters little if some Scouters like their knots or think of having more....if they are contributing to the Programs, getting others involved, and helping Youth reach their potential for surviving what's ahead (scary huh!), then pat 'em on the back.

And there are several knots a Youth can carryover to the Adult world, if they qualify. And if they continue their service....perhaps it's because they had a trained Leader in their past. So properly feed and care for all of us giving our "hour a week". :lol:
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Return to Awards and Recognitions