Coolest Eagle Ceremony??

All non-advancement related awards and recognitions. (Anything except Ranks, Merit Badges, and Palms.)

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Coolest Eagle Ceremony??

Postby FieldSports » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:31 pm

I have read about COH for Eagle in the standard material and books. However, I would like to get some feedback/ideas on the coolest Eagle ceremony.

I have seen Bagpipes, real Eagle fly in, flaming arrows, etc.

Any other ideas?
Advisor and Coach
Owl - Whooo R U?
2005 National Jamboree Staff - Action Center A Trapshooting
2010 National Jamboree Troop 826
Wood Badge SM WE4-33-08
Silver Beaver
"Turning Boys into Men, One Scout at a Time"
FieldSports
Life

Re: Coolest Eagle Ceremony??

Postby kwildman » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:03 am

OA ceremony for Eagle Scout COH is pretty cool.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:30 am

One that I really liked was a complete banquet cooked dutch-oven style.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:46 am

The Coolest Eagle Ceremony is one that the Scout plans (boy-led), has scouts forget their lines (some humor) and where the Eagle Awardee gets up and has a sincere, heartfelt speech about his scouting experience.

All the other Bells and Whistles are unnecessary.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:01 am

Matt is correct WE agree on something :lol:

A friend Troop in MO had a Haunted Eagle COH For Halloween
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:39 am

I'm sort of a bells and whistle person :-D. Yes, you can get married at the courthouse by a judge. But it's so much more special to fancy it up. The ECOH has been described as a wedding without the bride. I think that is fitting in many ways.

The ECOH should be something very special, commensurate with the amount of effort the Scout has put into it. IMHO, it's one of those life-changing moments. #1 would have been greatly disappointed without the bells and whistles (and the food, and the ceremony, and the guest list, etc etc etc). #2 hasn't done his project, but already has preliminary plans for his ECOH :-D.

But, if uncomplicated is what the BOY wants, so be it. I do think those who opt for very simple ceremonies may regret it later. The boys I know would.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby lifescoutforlife » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:00 am

smtroop168 wrote:The Coolest Eagle Ceremony is one that the Scout plans (boy-led), has scouts forget their lines (some humor) and where the Eagle Awardee gets up and has a sincere, heartfelt speech about his scouting experience.

This makes me laugh! During my son's ECOH the boys in the troop were to light a candle and read the scout law and what each part of the scout law meant. There was the little strips of paper stacked up for them behind the candles so they could pick one up and read the next point of the scout law and then they were to put it in there pocket and walk away. Well they first tipped over the stack so it started to get a little out of order. Then some boys put there's back in the pile. I think During this ceremony a scout was loyal and reverent at least twice but never helpful or clean. Most of my family and others that don't know much about scouting didn't even know it was going south but you could see little smiles of scouters across the room as the ceremony went on. Then when it became his turn to talk he shocked the whole room to include me, during part of his speech he said " I would like to thank everyone that helped and believed in me to get to be here standing in front of you to get and Eagle today, and I would also like to thank all those people that didn't believe in me because you were the fuel that keep my fire burning to prove you all wrong." People mouths dropped when he said that but I knew from the day that he people asked him what his goals in scouting were and he said to be an Eagle Scout and earn 100 MB's and most of them laughed and said "ya right" that he would not rest till he proved them wrong.
If you don't take care of the Cub Scouts there will be no Boy Scouts!
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:20 am

AquilaNegra2 wrote:I'm sort of a bells and whistle person :-D. Yes, you can get married at the courthouse by a judge. But it's so much more special to fancy it up. The ECOH has been described as a wedding without the bride. I think that is fitting in many ways.

The ECOH should be something very special, commensurate with the amount of effort the Scout has put into it. IMHO, it's one of those life-changing moments. #1 would have been greatly disappointed without the bells and whistles (and the food, and the ceremony, and the guest list, etc etc etc). #2 hasn't done his project, but already has preliminary plans for his ECOH :-D.

But, if uncomplicated is what the BOY wants, so be it. I do think those who opt for very simple ceremonies may regret it later. The boys I know would.

I'm cool with whatever the scout wants but I've been to Eagle Coronations where the cost for the parents had to have been between $1000-2000. One ceremony was almost 3 hours. Everyone who ever knew him spoke about how they knew him when. Most of the dignataries bailed out. You don't have to go crazy for the attendees to understand the signficance of the event.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:21 am

lifescoutforlife wrote:
smtroop168 wrote:The Coolest Eagle Ceremony is one that the Scout plans (boy-led), has scouts forget their lines (some humor) and where the Eagle Awardee gets up and has a sincere, heartfelt speech about his scouting experience.

This makes me laugh! During my son's ECOH the boys in the troop were to light a candle and read the scout law and what each part of the scout law meant. There was the little strips of paper stacked up for them behind the candles so they could pick one up and read the next point of the scout law and then they were to put it in there pocket and walk away. Well they first tipped over the stack so it started to get a little out of order. Then some boys put there's back in the pile. I think During this ceremony a scout was loyal and reverent at least twice but never helpful or clean. Most of my family and others that don't know much about scouting didn't even know it was going south but you could see little smiles of scouters across the room as the ceremony went on. Then when it became his turn to talk he shocked the whole room to include me, during part of his speech he said " I would like to thank everyone that helped and believed in me to get to be here standing in front of you to get and Eagle today, and I would also like to thank all those people that didn't believe in me because you were the fuel that keep my fire burning to prove you all wrong." People mouths dropped when he said that but I knew from the day that he people asked him what his goals in scouting were and he said to be an Eagle Scout and earn 100 MB's and most of them laughed and said "ya right" that he would not rest till he proved them wrong.

Exactly...he'll remember this forever.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby scoutaholic » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:33 am

AquilaNegra2 wrote:I'm sort of a bells and whistle person :-D. Yes, you can get married at the courthouse by a judge. But it's so much more special to fancy it up. The ECOH has been described as a wedding without the bride. I think that is fitting in many ways.

As you say, what the boy wants is the most important.

I am NOT a bells and whistle person. I HATE being the center of attention. My idea for the best ECOH was to not have one at all. Just pick up the patch at the service center, and sew it on the uniform. That was over 20 years ago, and I haven't regretted that decision yet!

(My wedding was only slightly larger than the type you mention at the court house. You should have heard my Mother complain when we told her she couldn't invite the whole world. The only regret I've had about the wedding is that we didn't elope.)
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby FieldSports » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:52 pm

This is a celebration of 9 years of Scouting that changed a boy into a fine young man, helping on dozens of Eagle projects,staffing 5 cub daycamps, to many to count conservation proects, etc............
I am obviously a very proud dad; who will be able to say "today son, your a man" (and that will probably mean more to him than any ceremony).

I really do appreciate all the "no frills" approach suggestions. Especially when that is what the Eagle scout wants.

However, I am after a "Wow" factor that will be remembered when he is 80 years old. :shock: :D
Advisor and Coach
Owl - Whooo R U?
2005 National Jamboree Staff - Action Center A Trapshooting
2010 National Jamboree Troop 826
Wood Badge SM WE4-33-08
Silver Beaver
"Turning Boys into Men, One Scout at a Time"
FieldSports
Life

Postby VenturingL » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:12 pm

My son's troop had 9 scouts Eagle last school year - all were Seniors, and 2 had been in scouts together since Tigers. All but one had a ceremony. The previously mentioned 2 had a joint ceremony, but the others were individual. Each had a uniqueness, but were similar. All the boys used candles and the points of the law, my son included the 3 points of the oath too. All had "the voice of the Eagle" - usually read from the back of the room with the speaker out of sight. All used an Eagle Light box (passed it along after each ceremony). Many had a power point slide presentation of themselves in Scouts from cubbies through Eagle project. We didn't have pictures covering that, so we did a presentation on his project - complete with music under it (Colonel Bogey's March. i.e. Bridge Over the River Kwai & "What If It All Goes Right?" - project was a raised boardwalk & NOT without periodic setbacks). Some boys gave out mentor pins, some didn't - if you do this have tissues ready for the recipient(s) and the scout. Their explanations of who these people are & why they want to give them this small pin can be very moving.
Merit Badge Counselor (Communication, Theater, Public Speaking)
Wood Badge Fox SR-861
VenturingL
Star

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:55 am

VenturingL wrote:Some boys gave out mentor pins, some didn't - if you do this have tissues ready for the recipient(s) and the scout. Their explanations of who these people are & why they want to give them this small pin can be very moving.

This is so true. In #1's case, he gave out two. He really wanted to honor his very first SM, but his Eagle Mentor is somebody who means a great deal to him. The Scout Shop personnel helped with that one -- he gave his former SM a gold mentor pin, and his Mentor a sterling silver one. They were both surprises, and both were very moved.

168, 3 hours is ludicrous. I wouldn't even want to listen to people talk about my OWN son for that long ;-).
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:43 am

[quote="AquilaNegra2
168, 3 hours is ludicrous. I wouldn't even want to listen to people talk about my OWN son for that long ;-).[/quote]

That's what happens when the ceremony is parent led not boy led!
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby ccjj » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:07 pm

At my son's Eagle ceremony, the MC was talking about how Scouting has changed from helping little old ladies across the street, when my son reached to grab my elbow as if to help me. Of course, the entire room erupted in laughter and my son did turn at least 3 shades of red. But, this is what made his ECOH very memorable.

ccjj
ccjj
Star

Return to Awards and Recognitions