BSA Physical Fitness Award

All non-advancement related awards and recognitions. (Anything except Ranks, Merit Badges, and Palms.)

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

BSA Physical Fitness Award

Postby razor_strop » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:16 am

I recently became a BSA PFA mentor, but I've had no luck in finding a copy of the posture chart referenced in the award requirements. I'm the first BSA FPA mentor in my council in years, and no one at council, in the districts or among the troops seems to know anything about the posture chart. I've searched the web, also with little luck in finding a 13 point posture rating chart. Are there any PFA mentors out there that have any advice?
razor_strop
Life

Re: BSA Physical Fitness Award

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:05 pm

Welcome to the forum...Sorry I can't find anything either. Your Council should be able to get the answer for you by going through their POCs at National.

What was the process your Council used to make you a BSA PFA mentor? Did they provide you any training? Did you also become a Personal Fitness MB Counselor?
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby razor_strop » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:19 am

Thanks for the welcome! I've been browsing these forums for a couple years now, and finally decided to sign up and get a bit more involved.

Sadly, the folks at council are either unsure of how to get information, or aren't able/willing to do so. I was already a Personal Fitness MB counselor and credentialed fitness trainer when I asked to become a PFA mentor. Actually, I had first asked if there were any current mentors that I could work with to earn the award myself first to 'lead by example', but there were no mentors listed in the council. It took almost 6 months for council to decide how to make me a mentor, finally bringing the decision before the Health & Safety committee for approval.

I've yet to guide any boys through the requirements, as I want to do it right and have the posture guidelines in hand first. I may just go to the neighboring council and ask them for help.
razor_strop
Life

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:29 am

Councils are to worried about money and numbers to care aout program unless it makes them money :twisted:
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby razor_strop » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:18 am

Well, after talking to the two adjoining councils to mine, no one had any idea where to find the referenced posture chart, so I ended up contacting National myself. The rep there did some searching and found out the posture chart mentioned in "The Seven Components of Physical Fitness" document posted on Scouting.org was discontinued in 2001 and no longer available. Therefore, current guidance is to discuss the importance of posture in general terms, and take photos of the Scout during the work up towards the award to show him how his posture is progressing.

FWIW, the rep also said that the certificates and pocket cards associated with this award are also being discontinued, so only the temporary pocket patch will remain as an indicator that the Scout or Scouter earned the award.
razor_strop
Life

Postby Cowboy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:59 pm

Good thing physical fitness isn't important or integral to Scouting. :?:
Cowboy
Eagle

Return to Awards and Recognitions