Heroism Award Ceremonies?

All non-advancement related awards and recognitions. (Anything except Ranks, Merit Badges, and Palms.)

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Heroism Award Ceremonies?

Postby biglou » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:28 pm

This has been quite a year for me as Scoutmaster. I have had the honor of helping 6 boys (one posthomously) make Eagle Scout and was the first time in my Troop's 89 year history that we lost a Scout in an accident. This is also the first time that a Scout will be awarded a Heroism Award. I am not sure which one it is but I know it is not the Honor Medal. I submitted him for the Medal of Merit and the Council upgraded the award to the Heroism Award but am not sure of what the National Council decision was. Has anybody every presented one of these before? Any information you can give me will be of great help. Thanks.
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Re: Heroism Award Ceremonies?

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:32 pm

BigLou, those are usually presented at the Council Dinner at least all the ones in WF I have seen done that way. We have a volunteer Recognition Dinner in February where the Silver beaver awards are presented etc.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby kwildman » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:10 pm

I haven't seen any formal ceromonies. With the award being presented to a Scout i would expect the council to do it at an event where they can get recognize the scout and also get some PR publicity and raise awareness on scouting.

I received the medal of merit at a district dinner last year it was a surprise and very humbling. It is cool having a knot that no one recognizes. :D
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby biglou » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:59 pm

Here is the thing. The incident that caused the award being presented took place June 2008. It took 18 months to get the darn thing awarded. I had to go and continually bug the office staff (just the one person responsible) about it. The award nomination was submitted on time. I inquired 6 months afterwards and was told "it was being looked into". After being a pain for a year, I find out that the form was lost at the National Office. Thankfully a copy was available and was able to be resubmitted with a letter of explanation as to why. To keep things short, it finally took me personally talking with the Area Professional to see things getting on the ball with the local professional staff. After months of perstering and bugging and whining and complaining, the award finally arrived Wednesday. The kid involved knows he was nominated but does not know that it is in the office in Dubois. Like I said, 2009 was a year of firsts for Troop 40 and the Troop would like to present the award.
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:09 pm

biglou wrote:Here is the thing. The incident that caused the award being presented took place June 2008. It took 18 months to get the darn thing awarded. I had to go and continually bug the office staff (just the one person responsible) about it. The award nomination was submitted on time. I inquired 6 months afterwards and was told "it was being looked into". After being a pain for a year, I find out that the form was lost at the National Office. Thankfully a copy was available and was able to be resubmitted with a letter of explanation as to why. To keep things short, it finally took me personally talking with the Area Professional to see things getting on the ball with the local professional staff. After months of perstering and bugging and whining and complaining, the award finally arrived Wednesday. The kid involved knows he was nominated but does not know that it is in the office in Dubois. Like I said, 2009 was a year of firsts for Troop 40 and the Troop would like to present the award.

Council will present it Trust me.ALSo if they do it the kid will get more press
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby biglou » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:58 am

We can get more press. When you have a PSP Community Services Officer as an ASM, things will be put in place. We talked about this last night. He has a very good relationship with the local TV reporters and he is cashing in a chip for this. I have already contacted one local reporter who will make sure it gets in the local newspaper.
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:15 am

What does the award say? National Council BSA-Boy SCouts of AMerica-Bucktail COuncil or Troop ###.
Unless it says Presented to By Troop ### it would be in your best interest to discuss with your CE especially since he is the guy that makes the decesion on who replaces the outgoing DE. IF he sayd the council would really like to make the presentation then thats it if he has no preference the do what you wish but I have neve heard of a heroism award being presented at a troop function they are always presented at a council event. Play this one cool. This is a big thing for all involved from the Youth to the Council executive board.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby jr56 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:03 pm

I have seen these awarded at local Council dinners. I had a boy in my troop recieve the Medal of Merit once, it was given to the local troop to present as we saw fit.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby biglou » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:31 pm

LOL. Point taken. I know the Council is having their awards dinner on the 11th of January. The kid involved is on the wrestling team so I know for no uncertain terms that he will not be able to be there. The "District" is having their award dinner in the spring. I will have to check and see what the council wants to do. The last time an award was presented (a year or two ago), the Troop involved awarded it at a Court of Honor. Not exactly sure on the details. I will have to check. As for the PSP CSO who is my ASM, he will make sure this is covered by the press.

Gotta love the acronyms. PSP CSO, ASM, ACLS, BTLS, CSE, DE, ABCs and 123s. LOL
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Return to Awards and Recognitions