Translation Strip?

All non-advancement related awards and recognitions. (Anything except Ranks, Merit Badges, and Palms.)

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Translation Strip?

Postby Reasonable Rascal » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:47 am

Is it proper to wear a translator strip as a adult Scouter that was first earned as a Scout?

RR
Boys can save lives when Scouting first saves them.
Reasonable Rascal
Star

Re: Translation Strip?

Postby RWSmith » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:16 am

Yes... as long as you can still perform as such.

See: Interpreter Strip and Talk:Interpreter Strip (on MeritBadge.Org)

See also: Search for keyword(s)... interpreter (on MeritBadge.Net)
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:46 am

I had a GTA interpreter strip made up for my uniform. :wink:
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby ronin718 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:36 am

So if I can speak LDS Scouting, do I get an interpreter strip for that? :lol:
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby Reasonable Rascal » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:13 pm

RWSmith wrote:Yes... as long as you can still perform as such.

Well, the requirement does say carry on a 5-minute conversation in the language but doesn't say it has to be about rocket science. :lol:

I admit I barely made that at the time, in German, and I didn't even try it in French - which I studied for a year longer than German. While working the triage desk in the ER about 3 years ago I had a French tourist come in who spoke less English than I do Tagalog. Fortunately the tour guide spoke passable English. Good thing, because I STILL do not know the proper French term for constipation. :oops:

I really oopsied a few years ago when the wife and I went to Croatia and I was showing off by deliberately forgoing the English menu. How was I to know that 'lard' is German idiomatic for bacon? I couldn't figure out who'd want to put lard on their pizza.

RR
Reasonable Rascal
Star

Postby Quailman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:39 pm

la constipation. :D
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby Tessla » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:42 pm

How is this badge earned? Who verifies it?

My son is learning German and would like to earn the strip. He's also learning Latin (I'm not sure if that is an option). Can more than 1 strip be worn if a scout is fluent in multiple languages?
Tessla
Scout

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:23 pm

Tessla wrote:How is this badge earned? Who verifies it?

My son is learning German and would like to earn the strip. He's also learning Latin (I'm not sure if that is an option). Can more than 1 strip be worn if a scout is fluent in multiple languages?

The requirements are listed in the Boy Scout Requirements book. My experience is that the strip is earned upon the scout presenting a statement from his language teacher that he's completed the requirements.

Latin is not an option. Neither is Pig Latin. :)

More than 1 strip can be worn if earned.

See RW's post above for more info and welcome to the forum.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby RWSmith » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:28 pm

First, welcome newcomer.

Tessla wrote:How is this badge earned? Who verifies it?

As noted in a preceding post, please see: Interpreter Strip and Talk:Interpreter Strip

The Interpreter Strip is not a merit badge, rank, or advancement award of any type. Its sole purpose is to serve as an immediate, visual cue to others that you are able to perform as an interpreter, when needed... not to award your ability to converse in another language. (This is also why its placement on your uniform is near your nameplate.)

If necessary, a simple note from the parent/teacher/whomever can be provided to the Unit Leader (for youth) or other Scouter (for adults) verifying the requirements have been met. However, the Interpreter Strip is not a "restricted" item... so, a Scout(er) is Trustworthy.

==================

P.S. While there's technically no rule against wearing an Interpreter Strip for Latin, since it hasn't been a "native" language for at least 1,000 years, it cannot possibly meet the "sole purpose and intent" of wearing an Interpreter Strip in the first place.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby Tessla » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:42 pm

Thanks for the welcome and thank you for the replies, they answered the question.
Tessla
Scout

Postby Reasonable Rascal » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:25 pm

As RW noted there is a trustworthy-ness aspect to it. My HS language teacher is the one who "certified" me as fulfilling the requirements. This was for German - I never did feel even remotely qualified for the French strip.

Last night though I was practicing my smattering of Tagalog with a Nicarauguan (sp) patient who happened to pick up the language from Philipino co-workers. The world is a small place.

RR
Reasonable Rascal
Star

Postby ThunderingWind » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:10 pm

My French teacher says most of her 4th year college students could not pass the requirements.

The reason being is that none ever take the time to learn Scouting terms that would need to be translated
so the two Scouts could converse properly.

I can't pass it right now because I can't properly translate the many past to tell the difference
between 5 minutes ago and 500 million years ago. Same with the future tenses.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:23 pm

ThunderingWind wrote:My French teacher says most of her 4th year college students could not pass the requirements.

The reason being is that none ever take the time to learn Scouting terms that would need to be translated
so the two Scouts could converse properly.

I can't pass it right now because I can't properly translate the many past to tell the difference
between 5 minutes ago and 500 million years ago. Same with the future tenses.

There is no requirement to learn scouting terms (except maybe Latrine in French :) ).
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby ronin718 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:17 am

smtroop168 wrote:There is no requirement to learn scouting terms (except maybe Latrine in French :) ).

Wouldn't that be "wee wee"? :lol:
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby ThunderingWind » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:56 am

smtroop168 wrote:There is no requirement to learn scouting terms (except maybe Latrine in French :) ).

I understand. But if one cannot carry one a 5 minute conversations with a Scout using {Insert Language Here} and clearly
explain Scouting things, then what is the point of the strip?

If the conversation was only to ask How are you, How is the weather, Where is the hospital, How much does this cost, What is your campus like, etc....then I can pass the test now.

But when you need to ask "What is Troop/Patrol/Crew (American Terms not generally learned) doing next Summer" one needs to be more advanced. Also consider needing more advance skills if called upon (because your shirts say you speak ....) to translate during an emergency.

Ôu est les toilettes? or Ôu est la salle de bains?
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby FrankJ » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:48 am

If your 4th year college student cannot carry out a 5 minute conversation in a language they have been studying for 4 years.... You need to give the accreditation agency a call to come clean house :twisted:
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby Quailman » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:13 pm

Maybe all they can say is "Voulez-vous des pommes frites avec cela?"
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby Reasonable Rascal » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:46 pm

ronin718 wrote:

Wouldn't that be "wee wee"? :lol:

Ummm, I believe "Oui oui" would be the correct pronunciation. :lol: :lol: :lol:

RR
Reasonable Rascal
Star

Postby ThunderingWind » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:38 pm

FrankJ wrote:If your 4th year college student cannot carry out a 5 minute conversation in a language they have been studying for 4 years.... You need to give the accreditation agency a call to come clean house :twisted:

Fully understand what you are saying. But there are some terms, words and phrases in many languages that would not
generally be taught unless one goes the extra mile. Bowline and taut-line hitch are nto in my French dictionary.

This lady is tough. She expects Scouts to be able translates words like Merit Badge, Venture Crew, Explorer Post, explain the intricate details of some of the Adult Knots, etc....But she is one of the few in the area that has said she will sign and approve the requirement.

Too many people around here have a language strip because they served in the Armed Forces, being stationed the country represented by said strip but cannot hold a conversation about Scouting is said language. They can order food, drinks, find their way....but cannot tell someone how to tie a knot.
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:32 pm

Perhaps someone should explain to her the BSA rule about not adding to the BSA requirements.

The requirements to earn the Interpreter Strip are -

Boys and adults may wear this strip if they show their knowledge of a foreign language or the sign language for the hearing impaired by:

1) Carrying on a five-minute conversation in this language.
2) Translating a two-minute speech or address.
3) Writing a letter in the language (does not apply for sign language).
4) Translating 200 words from the written word.

Nowhere in there does it state that any of the 4 requirements must be about Scouting. To require that is adding to the requirements.
Nuts4Scouts
Eagle

Next

Return to Awards and Recognitions