Hornaday Awards

All non-advancement related awards and recognitions. (Anything except Ranks, Merit Badges, and Palms.)

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Hornaday Awards

Postby cdwscout » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:58 pm

Does anybody have any (good) information regarding the Hornaday awards? I am looking to do a combined Eagle Project/Hornaday Project, so some information would be nice. :)
Yours in scOUTING,
Cdwscout
cdwscout
Star

Re: Hornaday Awards

Postby Quailman » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:52 pm

Have you read the information on scouting.org?

I assume you are familiar with the merit badge requirements. Do you have a project in mind?

[edit]Rather than repost all of what I put in another thread, I'll refer you to the thread about four down the list from this one. It's about Hornaday Awards/Projects and has some good info.[/e]
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby jr56 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:20 pm

You can get the packet from national. I don't think a project can count for Eagle and the Hornaday award at the same time.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby cdwscout » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:34 pm

I actually emailed National, and they said I could double count a Eagle Project and a Hornaday Project. I am looking to replant grass, trees, and shrubs at a Park near where I live (we just had several fires around town, so we lost a little) as well as plant a garden there. I also would have to water everything over the winter so that they can get their roots established. My Eagle Advisor recommended that I add in a bench or something so the Eagle Board doesn't think its just maintenance.
Yours in scOUTING,
Cdwscout
cdwscout
Star

Postby Quailman » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:30 pm

Yes indeed, the project can double for both, as long as it is a conservation project that fits into one of the Hornaday categories, and also a leadership project. See the other thread I referred to.

This would probably fall into Forest and Range Management. Make sure you talk to a Hornaday Advisor before you start. He'll tell you to use all native plants for this project.

If you've earned all the requisite merit badges, consider doing three or four projects and earning a bronze or silver medal. One of your projects (but not the Eagle one) may be done on BSA property.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby cdwscout » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:22 pm

Can only one be done on BSA property, or more than one? I was thinking of doing starting a recycling program at our council's scout camp for one, and I was also thinking about doing one at another one of our council's camps.
Yours in scOUTING,
Cdwscout
cdwscout
Star

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:26 pm

cdwscout wrote:Can only one be done on BSA property, or more than one? I was thinking of doing starting a recycling program at our council's scout camp for one, and I was also thinking about doing one at another one of our council's camps.

Could be but I wouldn't do 2 recycling projects.

Understand that the Hornaday Awards are very rare and you need to show significant work on these. A number of Medal applications have been turned down by National's review panel.

My advice is to get with a Hornaday advisor before you head down the path so you get meaningful and qualifying projects
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Quailman » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:36 pm

My understanding is one.

Also, if applying for a Silver or Bronze, the projects must be in different categories. You should think carefully about which category to assign. If you plant native grasses along a highway right-of-way, you could call it Forest and Range Management, as you are helping to preserve endangered native plants. Alternately, if they are planted on steep slopes that tend to erode in heavy rains, you could call it Soil and Water Conservation. It all depends on what you plan for your other projects. Of course, the complexion of your write-up will be different too.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby cdwscout » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:14 pm

@SMTroop168: I wasn't referring to another recycling project specifically, but just another project in general.

In addition to just setting up recycling cans, I was also going to get a schedule to empty them into town (I'm gonna staff it next summer, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue) and monitor the usage of it to see how much material was saved from the landfill.

Does anybody have some sort of template for the write-up? I know National makes one for Eagle, but I'm not sure about one for the Hornaday.
Yours in scOUTING,
Cdwscout
cdwscout
Star

Return to Awards and Recognitions