Mile swim for adults?

All non-advancement related awards and recognitions. (Anything except Ranks, Merit Badges, and Palms.)

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Mile swim for adults?

Postby King Ding Dong » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:09 pm

I have seen references the the Mile Swim patch can be awarded to adults but nothing in official BSA guides. I know it will be up to camp policy to administer it or not. Anything official?
King Ding Dong
Tenderfoot

Re: Mile swim for adults?

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:16 am

adults can and do get the mile swim. Our camp has always included adults in it as long as they attend all the training swims each day with the boys.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby mt_goodrich » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:37 am

I completed the Mile Swim as a 15 year old. It was at a lake at Camp Makajawan in Northern Wisconsin. Camp belonged to the Northeast Illinois Council.

Now that I am an adult, can't believe I actually did it.
Mike
* Crew Advisor, Crew 2598 Longhorn Council
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby Quailman » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:10 am

I don't know what council you're in, but mine allows adults to try. It gives the boys an even bigger feeling of accomplishment when they see grown-ups getting pulled out of the water.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:31 am

Obviously, some councils do award this emblem to adults.

However, per BSA literature, the award is for Boy Scouts, and Venturers, not adults -

http://www.bsaseabase.org/seabase/sitecore/content/home/awards_central/mileswim.aspx

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/33066_Section3.pdf , See page # 67.
Nuts4Scouts
Eagle

Postby razor_strop » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:39 pm

Nuts, the insignia guide excerpt you linked may not be the best source for that information, as on the page preceeding the one with the Mile Swim badge it makes no mention of the fact that adults can earn the Emergency Preparedness Award. For that matter, the Sea Base link to the Scouting.org site says only Boy Scouts can earn the Mile Swim, and doesn't mention Venturers, so that isn't entirely correct, either.
razor_strop
Life

Postby King Ding Dong » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:44 pm

Quailman wrote:I don't know what council you're in, but mine allows adults to try. It gives the boys an even bigger feeling of accomplishment when they see grown-ups getting pulled out of the water.

I am a Red Cross Life Guard and YMCA certified swim instructor. I would certainly want to train some to attempt it, but I have done it before. I wonder what the impact would be on the scouts if a 45 year old fat man completed it and some of them couldn't. I certainly would not want to do it if there would be a negative effect on the scouts. But a part of me would enjoy the snickers from them as they saw me line up to try. I suspect many of them do not realize it is not a race and is about pace and survivability and the elementary backstroke is an important tool to use in survival mode.

I am in the Greater St. Louis Area Council, but we are going out of council for camp. Camp Bunn (they better have good coffee) in the Abe Lincoln Council in Springfield, IL. Even if the award is allowed for adults by BSA, I would certainly respect the Camp's policy on allowing adults to participate. It is not listed as an adult activity in the camp leader guide. I will contact the director after I have a more definitive answer on official BSA policy.
King Ding Dong
Tenderfoot

Postby King Ding Dong » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:55 pm

razor_strop wrote:Nuts, the insignia guide excerpt you linked may not be the best source for that information, as on the page preceeding the one with the Mile Swim badge it makes no mention of the fact that adults can earn the Emergency Preparedness Award. For that matter, the Sea Base link to the Scouting.org site says only Boy Scouts can earn the Mile Swim, and doesn't mention Venturers, so that isn't entirely correct, either.

And the it shows the BSA life guard as only for scouts and venturers and adults can earn it.
King Ding Dong
Tenderfoot

Postby King Ding Dong » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:34 pm

Another indication it can be awardeded to scouters

http://www.scoutstuff.org/boy-scout-mil ... ingle.html

This card is used to honor each Scout and Scouter who accomplishes the feat of swimming one (1) continuous mile. There are spaces on the card for the Scout or Scouter's name, the signature of the person who witnessed the completion of swim, and the date of the swim. This mile swim BSA card is great for recognizing the youth or adult in a troop meeting or court of honor.
King Ding Dong
Tenderfoot

Return to Awards and Recognitions