Kayaking BSA

All non-advancement related awards and recognitions. (Anything except Ranks, Merit Badges, and Palms.)

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Kayaking BSA

Postby hisdad » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:33 pm

Hi, how many have this award nationally?
I'm in California and I cannot find where it offered. I really want to become a councelor for this award. Anyone out there with this or who is a councelor, plz let me know how you did it.

I will probably go visit a camp with a certified Aquatics Instructor (canoe+WW MBs), have them watch me demonstate the requirments, and get them to signoff.

And FYI, like Lifeguard BSA and Mile-Swim, this award is open to both youth and adult. There is an excellent pamphlet (19-510) just ask your local Council office for a free copy.
hisdad
Tenderfoot

Postby Scouting179 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:19 am

YOu need to find the booklet "Boy Scout Requirements, #33215, revised 2004". Your council store should have it or be able to order you one. This is how I got the info on Scuba BSA award, but that's a different booklet.
Eagle Scout, 22 Jan 1974
ISCA 5537L, Wood Badge SR 571
Chowanoc District Advancement Chairman
Tidewater Council, VA
http://members.cox.net/scouting179
Scouting179
Bronze Palm

Postby 616kayak » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:37 pm

They should take this requirements add some more stuff and make it a merit badge. It is silly not to All they need is 1st aid and some trip requirements.

I really think it would be a popular mb. I know I kayak with my troop at most of our campouts. Even if they bring the troop canoes I will drive the hour down to the keys and pick it up if I have to. I just prefer it over canoeing that much.
"Training is my business and business is always good"

Life scout / JASM
616kayak
Eagle

Postby cescout » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:59 am

I complete agree, I went to camp and on the on-line MB sign up it says just the name, not you know what type of award it is, ex, computers, not computers MB, and I went there to class the entire week, to find out on the last day that this wasn't a MB, all of the work we did seemed like a MB, you know we did CPR, the whole 9 yards.

We should write a letter to BSA national office requesting this.
CE-SCOUT
cescout
Star

Re: Kayaking BSA

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Sun May 10, 2009 2:47 am

Who is qualified to award this? #1 wants to work on his Whitewater badge and needs the Kayaking BSA award first. There's a great 3-session Sea Kayaking class locally that more than covers the BSA requirements, but before I shell out the $, I'd like to know if it's an award that must be administered by BSA (don't see that) or just SM-approved. Anyone know for certain?

And, is there a written description of the "Scout gate test" that must be completed in 160 seconds? (I'm fairly certain this outfit will tailor the class for him.)
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Sun May 10, 2009 7:48 am

It is offerered by approved whitewater outfitters in SW PA. That would be a source for you. Your council just needs to approve them. Also FYI Scuba will no longer be an award. It is converting to a Merit Badge in the next year or so.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:12 am

Thanks Wagion! I have a decent relationship with the Council and will present the outline to them. Easy enough :-).
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Mon May 11, 2009 7:18 am

BTW this is a really easy award. ANyone that Kayaks at all would be able to earn it. I talked to our new Aquatics director and he is planning on offering it at our camp this summer. We have a couple kayaks that were donated. ALso Most councils would allow anyone with decent kayaking experience be a counselor for this. I take groups kayaking on the Yough River and by the time we go 5 or 6 miles they have met all the requirements. You notice a roll is not required which is a good thing. ALthough not a requirement I always where a helmet on moving water. One outfitter here requires helmets on all their whitewater trips NO OPTION. I have seen too many people get hurt because they hit their head in water thye thought they did not need to wear a helmet.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Mon May 11, 2009 9:50 am

Camp Rodney offers this as part of their program. I have 5 signed up for the class. They also have a High Adventure Kayaking class for older scouts who have the Kayaking BSA done.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby divermann » Mon May 11, 2009 10:22 am

Pamlico Sea Base, part of Camp Bonner in NC, offers a Sea Kayaking program where participannts are supposed to have access to almost 80 miles of untouched or deserted beaches along the Cape Lookout National Seashore and Crystal Coast of the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Here is the link: http://www.pamlicoseabase.org/kayaking.html
Eagle Scout w/ 4 Palms-1973
Former Chief Wagion #6-1977
Council Training Chairman
Council Aquatics Chairman
Asst Council Commissioner-Venturing/Exploring
Wood Badge, Sea Badge, & Powder Horn Trained
divermann
First Class

Postby alex gregory » Mon May 11, 2009 2:07 pm

hisdad wrote:Hi, how many have this award nationally?
I'm in California and I cannot find where it offered. I really want to become a councelor for this award. Anyone out there with this or who is a councelor, plz let me know how you did it.

I will probably go visit a camp with a certified Aquatics Instructor (canoe+WW MBs), have them watch me demonstate the requirments, and get them to signoff.

And FYI, like Lifeguard BSA and Mile-Swim, this award is open to both youth and adult. There is an excellent pamphlet (19-510) just ask your local Council office for a free copy.

This is a pretty easy award to teach once you have mastered the wet exit, which is not all that hard. Take a class at any local kayaking outfitter/rental. Most float trips don't qualify for the award since you usually plan on staying afloat rather than capsize and exit your boat (pretty much the whole point of safety afloat). Remember that you will need to set up a safe swim area for your wet exits, and then have fun. Tie in the award with Camping MB requirement 9, and paddle for at least 4 hours.
alex gregory
Eagle

Return to Awards and Recognitions